Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131023 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2015, 05:30:52 am »

Also while enemies can see your fulton balloons I don't think they can hear the guy scream.  Maybe they can though, I dunno.

I captured the spetsnaz commander but he's in the brig.  Is there like a timer before he can be added to the roster? 
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 04, 2015, 08:57:24 am »

Another question. Do destroyed comms equipment and AA Radar repair themselves after you got back to MB? I feel a bit like I'm wasting my time going after them.
That said I'm having fun just not doing missions and kidnapping people. Played one mission today then spent the rest of it just screwing around in free roam. I think I'm getting the hang of stealth a bit more, especially now I know that if you tell soldiers to lie down they won't get back up themselves, so don't have to worry about them waking up and alerting anyone etc.
It takes more then a few game days for them to replace the radio equipment.  I havn't seen replaced AA equipment.  Probably around 18-24 gameplay hours.  I've left the game on to collect resources...  mostly fuel.  Always low on that...

EDIT: Actually, might be even more time.  For example, this one base, I destroyed everything in one visit(at least I think I did).  I find only 1-2 of the outside dishes back up, but the radio room/AA are still down.  So respawning might be a bit more complicated then just simply a timer from when last destroyed.  Well, I'll probably visit again when the next repeatable side op pops up there.

I captured the spetsnaz commander but he's in the brig.  Is there like a timer before he can be added to the roster? 
The green bar under his portrait is pretty much it for the timer.  He will come around to see things your(more likely Kaz's way) way eventually though.  Don't you worry about that.

Dying from illness?  Huh, never had that happen, even when it was full of D/E trash.  I only lose people in combat missions... I am hesitant to send my A+ guys on the harder missions, cause of casualties... but, I'm getting A guys all over the place, I've pretty much filtered out the C guys at this point, except in the waiting room.  (Around Episode 15, but with lots of roaming/senseless fultoning.)
EDIT2: I did a lot of cleaning, so havn't hit 700 again.  I'm only fultoning +A guys/mission objectives/prisoners at this point.

EDIT3:
Fun Fact: You can replay older missions as any other character, but you'll still be called Boss in the mission... and MB too. 
For some reason, I think combat stats don't change much with accuracy this time around.  Wrecked a base going lethal-loud with a C Rank mook, wanted to see if they die permanently or not... (They don't.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:24:39 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 04, 2015, 10:19:19 am »

Also while enemies can see your fulton balloons I don't think they can hear the guy scream.  Maybe they can though, I dunno.
I'm fairly certain they can hear the semi-concious scream, it just has a really low radius compared to the "holy fuck this guy just stuck a 25lb helium balloon to my back help me god" scream.
Dying from illness?  Huh, never had that happen, even when it was full of D/E trash.
Apparently there is a chance of just not recovering from sickbay. It didn't help that if your GMP goes in the red (shut up, I overspent and needed supply drops) you can get a random event of large numbers of people getting sick all at once. Medical Team was in its infancy at the time and I guess couldn't handle it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 04, 2015, 10:25:47 am »

So now that we're far enough along, how are people's experiences with the FOB stuff?  Does it work?  I'm already in so it's too late to back out but whatever.

Where exactly does this game stand on the timeline?  I only just realized that Snake and Solid snake aren't the same guy so I'm pretty confused.  I'm guessing this is just before the original Metal Gear, where Big Boss is fully into his obsession with soldiers and developing his crazy merc nation?

I'm also trying to figure out Codenames and ranks.  On the rescue the engineer mission I went loud and mowed down a squad of dudes outside the prison but got an S rank cause none of them actually died.  And my codename was still Chick, as it's been every single time.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 04, 2015, 10:32:59 am »

Where exactly does this game stand on the timeline?  I only just realized that Snake and Solid snake aren't the same guy so I'm pretty confused.  I'm guessing this is just before the original Metal Gear, where Big Boss is fully into his obsession with soldiers and developing his crazy merc nation?
Game, Year, and Protagonist are as follows:
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, 1964, Naked Snake/The Man Who Will Be Big Boss
Peace Walker, 1974, Naked Snake/Big Boss
MGSV Ground Zeroes, Later In 1974, Big Boss
MGSV The Phantom Pain, 1984, Big Boss
Metal Gear, 1995, Solid Snake
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, 1999, Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid, 2005, Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty, 2007-2009, Solid Snake & Raiden
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots, 2014, Old Solid Snake
Metal Gear Rising Revengance, 2018, Raiden
I'm also trying to figure out Codenames and ranks.  On the rescue the engineer mission I went loud and mowed down a squad of dudes outside the prison but got an S rank cause none of them actually died.  And my codename was still Chick, as it's been every single time.
Codenames are dependent upon your behavior more than your rank, though they sometimes overlap. Check the database tab in the iDroid, it tells you most of their criteria. Rank is just dependent upon points, and because ALL FOR REVENGE killing people no longer directly reduces rank, though it does lose you certain bonuses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 04, 2015, 10:50:07 am »

So now that we're far enough along, how are people's experiences with the FOB stuff?  Does it work?  I'm already in so it's too late to back out but whatever.
I still havn't unlocked FOB.(I read that it gets unlocked around the 20th episode?)  I can't get into online mode reliably anyways, either maintenance, not connecting, or it'll boot me back to offline mode soon after..
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 04, 2015, 12:00:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 04, 2015, 12:50:27 pm »

Codenames are dependent upon your behavior more than your rank, though they sometimes overlap. Check the database tab in the iDroid, it tells you most of their criteria.
Getting a codename, I may note, also gets you its image as a Front part for your emblem and its name as a word. So have fun with that.
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 04, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 04, 2015, 01:19:58 pm »

Codenames are dependent upon your behavior more than your rank, though they sometimes overlap. Check the database tab in the iDroid, it tells you most of their criteria.
Getting a codename, I may note, also gets you its image as a Front part for your emblem and its name as a word. So have fun with that.
My emblem is just a big fat chick.  If I could put the word or some combo that would add up to Chocobo...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 04, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »

... both say they dampen footsteps, you (the player) can still hear them. Enemies can't, I noticed, so it must go the same with that four-foot rocket launcher slamming back and forth on your back. It's just about posture and movement, I guess.
A lot of this boils down to giving information to the player. For example, Snake likes to SMACK a wall when he presses up against it, but enemies can't hear it. It's just an indication to the player that they've pressed up against a wall. As for fultoning... if you're going to fulton someone after holding them up make sure you give them a boot to the head beforehand or they'll scream for help. They can't hear prisoners say "woohoo" as they get fultoned away, from what I know, so only conscious enemies have a risk of alerting people with the scream. The noise of the fulton inflating probably makes more noise anyways.

Codenames.. I keep getting Octopus. I wanna get Bear though. Does anyone know what the requirements are for the codenames? It says "use X to gain great success" but that's kinda... nonspecific. Great success?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 04, 2015, 01:39:48 pm »

So some more questions for people more familiar with the series.  What's the point of the box?  I mean I get that it's a meme at this point but what does running around in a cardboard box do that sneaking doesn't?  The only time I've been in a position that my box might've deflected suspicion, they shot it anyway.

Also how do you hold people up?  I did it once by sneaking up on somebody with my gun up but every other time they've just gone into reflex mode.  It seems almost impossible to actually get into melee range without alerting the enemy.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »

When I hold people up I go in a crouch with my gun raised and I don't hold the stick all the way forward (maybe halfway to a bit more than halfway), otherwise they might hear. It's probably easier with the sneaking suit.

Question of my own. Does anyone know how long people get stunned for when you use the default bionic arm on them? It's so damn fun to use but I don't know if it'd be more effective to just CQC/throw them or not.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 04, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »

I don't have a stick, I'm using a keyboard.  Maybe that's my problem, I can't actually sneak.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 04, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »

So some more questions for people more familiar with the series.  What's the point of the box?  I mean I get that it's a meme at this point but what does running around in a cardboard box do that sneaking doesn't?  The only time I've been in a position that my box might've deflected suspicion, they shot it anyway.

Also how do you hold people up?  I did it once by sneaking up on somebody with my gun up but every other time they've just gone into reflex mode.  It seems almost impossible to actually get into melee range without alerting the enemy.
What are you playing on PC? Using KB&M or controller?
I can't help with the KB&M, but with the controller, you can control how fast/slow you creep up by how much you tilt the movement stick.  Faster = more noise.
Another solution is the sneaking suit.
FAKEEDIT: I'm too slow.

The box, well, I don't use it much myself.  Probably could use it as a thing for different camo.  The box is still a useful tool for getting the jump on unsuspecting people, not so much for a firefight I reckon.

Question of my own. Does anyone know how long people get stunned for when you use the default bionic arm on them? It's so damn fun to use but I don't know if it'd be more effective to just CQC/throw them or not.
  There seems to be varying lengths of STN.  Throwing STN is pretty short, so I figure bionic might be a bit better.  You can test it in mother base actually.  When 3-4 guys stand next to you and salute.  One after the other, knock em out with each type of attack.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 124