Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130773 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2015, 06:27:55 pm »

Some games I have absolutely no morality and then others I'm mister goody-two-shoes.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:08 pm »

Unlike many games where non-lethal runs are possible, this one has a good reason: Big Boss is building his army and his legend. By preserving the lives of the soldiers and bringing them into Outer Heaven he proves his philosophy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2015, 06:38:11 pm »

S-rank had better be freaking hard. I S-ranked every mission in Peace Walker. Can't kill any bad guys. It was a ton of fun for me. I'm glad MGSV does things the same way. Going non-lethal was the only way to get 1st on all the VR missions in MGS2 as well.
The non-lethal system is a good thing, but whenever I went non-lethal it felt like a part of me was missing. I had all these giant guns at MB that I could've used to blow away everything in sight, but all I allowed myself to use was a dinky tranquilizer pistol and my fists. Feels bad man.
You're super right. It was slightly made up for by the Fulton Rocket Launcher and the Fulton Mines. Those things were so much fun. What the game needs is parity between lethal and nonlethal weapon choices. In Peace Walker it was too easy to know exactly what you were going to take on a non-lethal mission, except when doing monster hunting missions. When I'm prepping for a mech fight I've got tons of lethal weapons to pick from and I was always trying different stuff.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:55 pm »

MGS4 is the only game I've actually played/beaten (I watched my brother play 1 and 2, and Chip Cheezum has done a great LP of the games). I always tried to do things stealthily as I could. After all, you're one man against an army. The benefits of nonlethal are that if someone discovers the body they don't go "oh crap someone's killing our mans" instead it's "wake up you lazy piece of shit". However, it was great fun using lethal weapons, especially machineguns where Snake lets out a hilarious war cry if you fired for long enough. Plus the OICW (or whatever it's called) that has the air burst grenades, because why not?

I just played Ground Zeroes yesterday and realized just how bad I am at MGS. It took around 80 minutes of playtime and I only got a B rank; had to reload checkpoint because the damn APC came around a corner and killed Paz in one shot. I know I'll likely do equally terrible in MGS5: I'll do at least some portion of the mission stealth/nonlethal, but I'm bound to be spotted at some point and then I'll have no choice but to go loud. Sort of like Payday (2) actually...

By the way, dropping a body and picking up a gun is the same button command... which is a bit infuriating. I want to put the guy down so I can shoot people, but instead I keep dropping the gun with a suppressor without realizing it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2015, 08:55:49 pm »

By the way, it should be noted that not only was Ground Zeroes an A+ PC port by a team with no experience in that matter, but KojiPro at one point solicited advice from the PC crowd about how it could be further improved for Phantom Pain.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:11 pm »

By the way, it should be noted that not only was Ground Zeroes an A+ PC port by a team with no experience in that matter, but KojiPro at one point solicited advice from the PC crowd about how it could be further improved for Phantom Pain.

Well, they are one of the better development studios.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 07, 2015, 09:22:12 pm »

The one gripe I have with Ground Zeroes on PC is that my Windows mouse cursor persists in-game, stuck on the 'loading' cursor, so I have to move it off to the corner of the screen. Other than that it ran flawlessly on high settings, even though I don't technically meet the 3.4ghz processor requirement (I only have 3.3ghz). I haven't tried controlling it using mouse and keyboard yet, but I'm thinking of eventually getting a PS4 controller for my PC to replace my Logitech F510. I just saw the other day that on PC the PS4 controller's track pad acts like a mouse on PC which sounds like a godsend for people who want a bit more accuracy when shooting. (Then again Steam controller is coming soon, which may or may not be better. We'll see.)

One of the changes that they implemented from people's feedback are separate options for depth of field effects, which is great because I don't like depth of field in shooter type games (even though it can look pretty). They said that it won't apply to cutscenes, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 07, 2015, 10:34:34 pm »

Devouring everything Metal Gear in anticipation of TPP, I stumbled across a pretty fascinating analysis of MGS2: http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

I was originally quite a fan of the VR theory but some parts of it were definitely reaching. This analysis brings up some interesting observations, and I'm definitely more inclined to believe it's closer to the message Kojima was trying to get across (before he retconned everything for the sequels he never intended to make). MGS2 is my favorite Metal Gear by far, if only for the extremely polarized reactions that arose and the discussions it stimulated.
If you ever want a laugh, go read some of the launch reviews for MGS2. The backlash was seriously intense at the time, but in retrospect, the game's a masterpiece.

Seeing as TPP is almost certainly going to be Kojima's final Metal Gear for real, I hope he does something different for this last hurrah. I don't think anything can approach what he did with MGS2, but I'd be happy with something that will make it stand apart from MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:31 am »

The fulton thing is a good idea.  It gives you an actual reward for going non-lethal.  Score boosts are supposed to be a reward except, I don't know about you guys, but I treat perfect scores as a requirement, not a bonus.  Getting an A or an S or whatever is usually the neutral option for me.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

The fulton thing is a good idea.  It gives you an actual reward for going non-lethal.  Score boosts are supposed to be a reward except, I don't know about you guys, but I treat perfect scores as a requirement, not a bonus.  Getting an A or an S or whatever is usually the neutral option for me.
In that case, you might want to look into the other MGS games over this month. In addition to getting caught up on the story better, they have a game-long ranking system instead of mission-based grades. Getting Fox/Foxhound/Big Boss ranks is, shall we say, a trial.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 08, 2015, 08:37:11 pm »

Personally, I like to shoot em up every now and then. 
Going full lethal is much easier.  For example, in Ground Zeroes, you can kill EVERYONE on base, then complete the mission unmolested, obviously though, doesn't work for some missions where the target will run away.  Technically, you could capture everyone in the base too if you are willing to take the time...

Yea, preferably go non-lethal though.  Or pseudo non-lethal on my first play.  Gotta catch em all... and making dead bodies ain't part of that ethos.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 08, 2015, 08:41:51 pm »

In MGS 2 weren't there enemies that had radios, and if they didn't check back every minute or two reinforcements would be sent? That would be a reason to go nonlethal, or rather, not take out every single person ever. I know when I played Ground Zeroes the other day I threw a magazine to distract a guard and he radioed he was going to check it out, so I waited until he said everything was clear before knocking him out. Didn't seem to cause any issues later on, so did they remove it?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »

In MGS 2 weren't there enemies that had radios, and if they didn't check back every minute or two reinforcements would be sent? That would be a reason to go nonlethal, or rather, not take out every single person ever. I know when I played Ground Zeroes the other day I threw a magazine to distract a guard and he radioed he was going to check it out, so I waited until he said everything was clear before knocking him out. Didn't seem to cause any issues later on, so did they remove it?
It does cause issues if you knock him out before he radios back or during any call. Guys on the watchtowers won't actually go after you themselves, instead calling CP to get someone to check out your position.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 09, 2015, 12:00:51 am »

It does cause issues if you knock him out before he radios back or during any call. Guys on the watchtowers won't actually go after you themselves, instead calling CP to get someone to check out your position.
Check-in every 1-2 minutes?  Probably been removed long ago.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 09, 2015, 12:39:20 am »

MGS2 was the only one with frequent check-ins, and also the only one with a setting where that made any sense. MGS3 had a far more lenient check-in system that you could spend the whole game not knowing about (you have to take out every single radio guard in an area and wait a few minutes).
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 124