Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130811 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »

Holding the button doesn't kill them, it only knocks them out, except in MGS3 where holding it firmly will slit their throat with your knife.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »

One thing that threw me off in MGS3 is that different pressures do different things, but the PS2 controller is not the most sensitive piece of equipment and I slit a fair few throats before finding the sweet spot.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2011, 06:19:14 pm »

Yeah, me too. And never did find out which alligator was "different from the others", or why.
I did find out that you can feed alligators food items by throwing it into their mouths. They seem to love Gavial·R. gator meat

I think I even fed them a guard's body once.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »

I enjoyed going to the bases and scaring guards for life by causing them to encounter the dread Indoor Crocodile Snake. The Croc Cap, if you don't get it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »

I loved doing that. One game I went around wearing the "Naked" camo and that. I don't know why, but it was damn hilarious to watch.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »

I still have no idea how you're supposed to grab and choke guards, so for the most part I just straight up avoided everybody.

Yeah, when I play MGS2 I'm going to have to be a lot more patient.  For this game--or at least, for the beginning of this game--I wasn't very good about that.  Knowing how to choke guards sounds like it would be one of those useful skills to not be missing out on >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:26 pm »

Why is MGS4:Guns of the Patriots so fucking weird? I know the OP went over this, but still. Jesus Christ.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:03 pm »

Why is MGS4:Guns of the Patriots so fucking weird? I know the OP went over this, but still. Jesus Christ.

What part of it are you talking about?

I feel that most of it can be explained by "because Kojima."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:47 am »

Just realized Dead Cell = Red Cell
Mind = blown

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2011, 12:44:46 pm »

I feel that most of it can be explained by "because Kojima."

I like to think Kojima just watches some movie or reads some book, gets really pumped about it and makes a game off of it, or adds such things to a current game idea he has. Like the final bit with Meryl in MGS4, Kojima had to have been watching rom coms while designing that. And the previous assumption that the whole medical thing in 3 was just him being really interested in a field medicine book with no actual knowledge on how diseases and the body works.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »

Palazzo had a day off, so he decided to waste it playing that game he heard people talking about on bay12. He loaded up MGS.

"Hmmm, what's this? Looks a bit like Oni. That's nice. I might kinda like it...

Terrorists spreading terror! Harem anime tendencies! Cowboys! Teleporting ninjas! Nanomagic! A strong female character! Fuck you I killed a tank! The power of LOVE! Twin brothers-clones-supersoldiers! Self referential otaku-ness! Psionic-telekinesis-magic! Why won't they just bloody answer my questions? Russian snipers! MUST HIT THE ACTION BUTTON REPEATEDLY!! Fuck you I killed a helicopter! Oversized aboriginals with magic and miniguns! Why do they all talk so much before they die? What's Dawkins doing in the plot?! Damn, did I not kill you just then? Must collect all the items. ALL of them! Running around, so much running around... What is wrong with this plot, what were they smoking? A strong female character turns out to be just another damsel in distress(duh)! Fuck you, I can kill a metal godzilla too! I killed you five times already, what are you made of, gumibears?! My fathers is my brother is my sister is not my real brother is your father is...! Genes-Dawkins-genes-evil-attack of the clones-madness! Evil politicians! It's this guy again, how unexpected. Just die already!! Oh, he died. How nice. And they lived happily ever after with the power of LOVE. Nice music. What? It's dark already?
I need a cigarette."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:44 pm »

Well, yes, that is pretty much accurate >_>

I wouldn't say that Meryl is just a damsel in distress, though, because she has a hell of a lot more personality than that.  It wouldn't make sense for someone behaving so impetuously/naively to make it out through everything unscathed.  She develops more as the story line goes on.

And yeah, the plot is basically a vat of confusion.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

Alright, so MGS4 spoilers from the latest Chip and Ironicus video.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:57 pm »

I'd like to request that y'all keep that shit spoilered for now, as Duke has, because I am currently in a place where I won't be able to watch for a while.  I.e. The Land of Janky Internet.  *sigh*  Gotta move or something >_>

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »

To some extent everything is a spoiler, so there will have to be some line made to be able to not cross it. Particularly difficult with this series.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 124