Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130857 times)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »

Maybe I didn't explain it too well, but it's not that I don't understand the morality of the characters, it's that I literally do not know what any of the characters are trying to achieve.  There's two different AIs that I can never keep straight but they were both made by the Patriots, and there's Ocelot who wants to fulfill his mancrush on Big Boss' dreams, and UN-sponsored forces who want to stop him (for the Patriots?), and I don't know who Campbell is supposed to be representing at this point, and Raiden's fucking crazy, and the entire moral underpinning of wanting to stop Ocelot or defeat the Patriots is kinda lost when you don't know who's actually on which side of the question, let alone the allegiance.

I'm gonna try to tackle as much of this as I can, so here goes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^It's a wall of text, but I did my best to explain every significant character's viewpoint, goals and how those dictate their actions throughout the fourth game.
... and then it explodes!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2011, 01:04:46 am »

And Naomi?

Because seriously, I'm only playing the first game and I've seen most of the LP of MGS4, and... well, I am not exactly a fan.  At all.

EDIT: Also, good Stinger, best friend :D

I suspect that my modus operandi on the last battle was somewhat cheap, though.

EDIT: I am kind of shocked that they still make you play through the escape route stuff.  Final Fantasy would've faded to cutscene, for sure.  Ah, well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:47:42 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2011, 03:54:44 am »

EDIT: I am kind of shocked that they still make you play through the escape route stuff.  Final Fantasy would've faded to cutscene, for sure.  Ah, well.

If you're playing the PS1 version, you should check out the cutscenes from Twin Snakes.  The highlight of the sequence and the game is Solid Snake repeatedly headbutting Liquid as they car-battle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2011, 04:05:19 am »

If you're playing the PS1 version, you should check out the cutscenes from Twin Snakes.  The highlight of the sequence and the game is Solid Snake repeatedly headbutting Liquid as they car-battle.

This sounds unbelievable.  It's like DBZ all over again but with less screaming and more sneaky spy action.  And railgun missions.  And cyborg ninjas.  And body pans, skintight suits, and gay, though I thought that was physically impossible.

(I can't actually believe that the part I'm having trouble with is the escape.  Well, okay, I did have a hell of a time with the last boss fight, especially the bit that involved being shoulder-driven.  I'll look up the cutscenes when I finish, though)

EDIT:  ... If the Otacon and Meryl endings have the same dialogue, I will be laughing always and forever.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:40:01 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2011, 04:44:54 am »

EDIT:  ... If the Otacon and Meryl endings have the same dialogue, I will be laughing always and forever.

No, they have pretty wildly different dialogue.  Everyone drops some secret hints about themselves (including Snake's real name) if Meryl dies, but if she lives it's just sappy (and Otacon survives off-camera, obviously).  That said, all the dialogue in both is technically "canon", even though Meryl lives (which is sensible, but worth remembering).
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:12 am »

Huh, cool... yeah, the dialogue is pretty sap-overloaded.  I can also understand why Kojima would have wanted to end the series here.

(But lordy, after that ending message thing there's no way he couldn't continue.  Also, I kinda figured that Solid Snake was the inferior clone, given that Liquid was able to pound me so hard =/)

On the other hand, despite only being able to compare MGS 1 and 4, I feel that the message at the end of 1 is surprisingly well followed up on in 4 (despite Snake not dying of FoxDie, but presumably his genetics).  The character development seemed like it mostly went okay, too, though I gotta say that Otacon comes off like a completely different level of nerd between the two games.  His VA was much more subtle in 1 than he ended up being in 4.

Ahhh, well.  No matter.  It was a great game, and in retrospect I really enjoyed every aspect of it.  The bosses were clever and fun, and I approve of the emphasis on both Stinger and sniper rifle.  It's really pretty danged brilliant.  Even the side stories managed to tie everything together.  There were honest twists I couldn't anticipate.  Just enough character development that one ended up wanting a little bit more, and yet still extremely satisfying.  Great music...

*sigh*

I really can't believe it took me so long to get off my bum and play this, because it's bloody amazing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2011, 05:10:24 am »

Well, if you want character development between 1 and 4, obviously you have to see 2.  Otacon especially gets hit with a ton of bricks.  Snake emerges as basically the same guy, since the whole point of his half of the story was to emphasize how awesome he is, before he turns into a slightly more philosophical and/or unhinged version of his Dad at the end of the game, when he tries to inspire Raiden.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:09 am »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:12 am »

Chip and Ironicus convinced me to buy the third game. I thought it was Subsistence but it wasn't. Still don't regret it at all.
Subsistence was the director's cut, with an added multiplayer mode, extra other modes, and a different camera system.
I'm aware, which is why I wish I'd bought that one instead but it's going for like 80 bucks on eBay now and seriously, screw that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2011, 05:33:31 am »

Well, if you want character development between 1 and 4, obviously you have to see 2.  Otacon especially gets hit with a ton of bricks.  Snake emerges as basically the same guy, since the whole point of his half of the story was to emphasize how awesome he is, before he turns into a slightly more philosophical and/or unhinged version of his Dad at the end of the game, when he tries to inspire Raiden.

Then in that case, I am going to be putting MGS2 on hold from the library and playing the everloving shit out of it.  Snake does seem like a "mostly the same guy" sort of character, but that's the point... and I am looking forward to more Otacontacular goodness.  His VA sounds so hilarious when he cries <3  But also adorable.

Don't mind me, that's just a little schadenfreude showing

Also, thank you for the lovely pictures >___________________>

If Kojima had nothing to do with the assvertising, I will be shocked.  Snake is basically wearing a corset, suspenders, and garters already, with Kojima's approval.  And MGS4 had the ridiculous musclesuit + garters + crotchbelts thing (I mean, seriously, did they really need to throw in the massive highlight on that, uh, area?  And then pan up it a billion times?).  I have never seen a series that sexualized violence more than this one =/  Never.  And that includes both Soul Calibur and DoA.

On the other hand, I heard something about how Raiden was originally supposed to have panty lines under whatever it is he wears, to appeal to the ladies who like 10-year-olds D:  I guess I shouldn't expect anything else out of an M-rated game, but I've played some others which managed to be grungy without being... well, this.  MGS doesn't need a hot coffee mod because it pretty much already is one >_>

All the same, I am not complaining  :-[  If I have to endure enormous amounts of fanservice to enjoy my manly action game of shooting things dead, I am sure I will survive.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2011, 07:33:45 am »

Snake does seem like a "mostly the same guy" sort of character, but that's the point... and I am looking forward to more Otacontacular goodness.  His VA sounds so hilarious when he cries <3  But also adorable.

Don't mind me, that's just a little schadenfreude showing

On the other hand, I heard something about how Raiden was originally supposed to have panty lines under whatever it is he wears, to appeal to the ladies who like 10-year-olds D:  I guess I shouldn't expect anything else out of an M-rated game, but I've played some others which managed to be grungy without being... well, this.  MGS doesn't need a hot coffee mod because it pretty much already is one >_>

Whoooooo boy, are you going to have a love-hate relationship with MGS2 then.  The grand breaker scene lies right at the intersection of those two things.  Good luck, and don't kiss too many posters.  Anyway, the game has some of the most irksome pattern-bosses, so I hope your gaeming skills are up to snuff if you want to play it on any major difficulty level.  (Supposedly, on the hardest difficulty, there's only two Rations in the entire game.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2011, 12:18:23 pm »

Whoooooo boy, are you going to have a love-hate relationship with MGS2 then.  The grand breaker scene lies right at the intersection of those two things.  Good luck, and don't kiss too many posters.  Anyway, the game has some of the most irksome pattern-bosses, so I hope your gaeming skills are up to snuff if you want to play it on any major difficulty level.  (Supposedly, on the hardest difficulty, there's only two Rations in the entire game.)

Hahaha.  I'll... keep that in mind about the poster-kissing, then.

Honestly, my gaeming skills are kind of craptacular.  I think I used what, 40 rations in my normal playthrough of MGS1?  Part of that was getting used to the game controls, because I didn't have any idea as to how they were supposed to work.  Part of it was that this is pretty much the first game I've ever tried in which aiming whilst being chased/shot at/whatever was necessary (the only other games I've played with aiming at all were Zelda games, and, well... totally different story, especially in terms of ammunition usage).  And the last part was 100% rank sucking.

But, on the other hand, getting better at them vidja games can't hurt at all, right?  It's a valuable lifetime skill!  And I am looking forward to this purported combo, because it sounds hilarious in the extreme >_<  Yup, it'll be only a couple of weeks before I'll be able to play, and it shall be awesome.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »

Part of that was getting used to the game controls, because I didn't have any idea as to how they were supposed to work.
I still have no idea how you're supposed to grab and choke guards, so for the most part I just straight up avoided everybody.

Which will be a problem for one segment of MGS2 if I recall, which I had hell with for precisely the same reason.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »

Part of that was getting used to the game controls, because I didn't have any idea as to how they were supposed to work.
I still have no idea how you're supposed to grab and choke guards, so for the most part I just straight up avoided everybody.

Which will be a problem for one segment of MGS2 if I recall, which I had hell with for precisely the same reason.

Choking guards vs simply killing them is a bit tough to distinguish. Killing them involves running up behind them and pressing the right button(been years, forget which) and holding it firmly. This will snap their neck. Choking them involves doing the same thing, except with a lighter touch and repeated tapping which will almost, but not quite let them go. Do this several times and you'll knock them out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »

Choking guards vs simply killing them is a bit tough to distinguish. Killing them involves running up behind them and pressing the right button(been years, forget which) and holding it firmly. This will snap their neck. Choking them involves doing the same thing, except with a lighter touch and repeated tapping which will almost, but not quite let them go. Do this several times and you'll knock them out.
Unless you do it too many times. Which will also snap their neck.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 124