Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130828 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:14 am »

Hell, I don't even know who the actual villain is in MGS4.

Personally, I find that to be an integral part of the experience.  In real life there is never a black and white 'bad guy.'  Why should videogames be any different?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:39:17 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:42 am »

Way to make my spoiler obsolete D:

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2011, 06:21:21 am »

That's a major plot twist, bro. Might wanna spoiler it before Vector reads it and uses maths to prove that you are, in fact, dead. Which would make it true.

EDIT: Oh god, I just called someone bro. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, BAY12?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2011, 06:23:26 am »

Might wanna spoiler it before Vector reads it and uses maths to prove that you are, in fact, dead.

So Vector is a Mage then? I'd buy that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 06:40:56 am »

Whoops, my bad guys.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 06:41:55 am »

Oh god, I just called someone bro. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, BAY12?

Thy heart is corrupted, only cleansing fire can save your soul
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2011, 06:51:59 am »

Hell, I don't even know who the actual villain is in MGS4.

Personally, I find that to be an integral part of the experience.  In real life there is never a black and white 'bad guy.'  Why should videogames be any different?

Maybe I didn't explain it too well, but it's not that I don't understand the morality of the characters, it's that I literally do not know what any of the characters are trying to achieve.  There's two different AIs that I can never keep straight but they were both made by the Patriots, and there's Ocelot who wants to fulfill his mancrush on Big Boss' dreams, and UN-sponsored forces who want to stop him (for the Patriots?), and I don't know who Campbell is supposed to be representing at this point, and Raiden's fucking crazy, and the entire moral underpinning of wanting to stop Ocelot or defeat the Patriots is kinda lost when you don't know who's actually on which side of the question, let alone the allegiance.

That was one of the things that struck me about Snake, in that he completes his evolution into the Perfect Player Character - his in-story personality is that he does whatever the last person he talks to tells him to do, with a grumble and some smoking, while he searches for a good way to kill himself and end the story.  He just does not care anymore.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:54:11 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:07 am »

Ya know what's weird, i.e. illogical?
What gives?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:35 am »

Kojima does not understand health, the human body and diseases at all. He picked of a medical textbook on field surgery, was amazed by what he saw and made a whole system around what he saw in MGS3. It was medical fanfiction in gameplay form.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:27 am »

Wait, lemme find that comic where Naked Snake uses the Cigar on every wound he has.

Welp, didn't find it, but this is hilarious too.

Ah, found it!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:51:01 am by Darvi »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:39 am »

Ya know what's weird, i.e. illogical?
What gives?

Perhaps the nanobots don't suppress the cancer but keep the body alive artificially, kinda like a life support machine.  The cancer spreads and gets worse until she turns them off and just dies?

Aqizzar: I didn't get it either on my first playthrough, but there -is- a more or less logical reason for every action of every character in the games.

And I think Snake is in fact the Perfect Soldier (as pretty much intended.)  He follows the last order given to him while only grumbling slightly and doesn't get bogged down in the morality.  I honestly don't think Snake fully understands every revelation in the series, and love him for it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:54 pm »

Chip and Ironicus convinced me to buy the third game. I thought it was Subsistence but it wasn't. Still don't regret it at all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »

Maybe I didn't explain it too well, but it's not that I don't understand the morality of the characters, it's that I literally do not know what any of the characters are trying to achieve.  There's two different AIs that I can never keep straight but they were both made by the Patriots, and there's Ocelot who wants to fulfill his mancrush on Big Boss' dreams, and UN-sponsored forces who want to stop him (for the Patriots?), and I don't know who Campbell is supposed to be representing at this point, and Raiden's fucking crazy, and the entire moral underpinning of wanting to stop Ocelot or defeat the Patriots is kinda lost when you don't know who's actually on which side of the question, let alone the allegiance.

That was one of the things that struck me about Snake, in that he completes his evolution into the Perfect Player Character - his in-story personality is that he does whatever the last person he talks to tells him to do, with a grumble and some smoking, while he searches for a good way to kill himself and end the story.  He just does not care anymore.
I think that all of the above is a perfect situation for a game that mainly involves the aftermath of a NWO conspiracy collapsing and being rapidly replaced by another NWO conspiracy. Everyone is crazy, no one knows who or what anyone is fighting for anymore and questions if they ever did, and the most sane individual of them all is a
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »

Ah, found it!
I really like the fact that Para-Medic has a Godzilla poster. It shows she(Awkward Zombie's creator) does her research. The liquor and shotglasses too, since at one point(if you ask Para-Medic about Fly Agarics) she mentions that she's "knocking back a shot right now"(she claims to be joking, but it's kinda hard to be sure of that).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »

Chip and Ironicus convinced me to buy the third game. I thought it was Subsistence but it wasn't. Still don't regret it at all.
Subsistence was the director's cut, with an added multiplayer mode, extra other modes, and a different camera system.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 124