Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130980 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:05 pm »

also

btw have some discount coupons if anyone needs/wants them. They convinced me to get the game earlier than planned.

thanks, just bought it. $62 is a lot more reasonable than the $75 I would've had to pay.

took me about 20 minutes to download, kekeke. now the question is, do i want to get addicted now, or wait until next week, when i'll have 5 days off
Hmm 62 IS much more reasonable, still poor though HA.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2015, 12:24:22 pm »

Ispil, you shouldn't play Metal Gear in chronological order. Release order is better.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2015, 12:28:08 pm »

Nah,  you don't need to play the other games to understand 3. Might not get some references though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »

I don't really see how it wouldn't work.  Most weirdness comes from MGS2 and 4, which luckily come last chronologically.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2015, 02:20:11 pm »

I haven't actually played 4 (no PS3).  Or Peace Walker, but I'm planning on doing so soon...  I've only played 1-3.
And from my experience I'd recommend play MGS1, then 3, then reading Last Days of Foxhound, then 2.  It's not that 2 was at all *bad* but it wasn't as good as 3, and it's soooo much harder to follow.  Three was a masterpiece (even after getting partially spoiled by LDoF, which just made it easier to follow) so I'm really not saying 2 was bad.

And at any point read Zarla's... uh... energetic LPs of Metal Gear 1 and 2.
http://zarla.livejournal.com/230920.html
http://zarla.livejournal.com/300069.html

Unless you really want to play a game with POISONOUS ZANZIBAR HAMSTERS yourself
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »

I watched an LP of 4. I enjoyed it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »

Anyone who shys away from a game like that is no true gamer. The most fearsome enemy in metal gear ever! One bite and you're done. .x

Seriously though, MG2 is worth a play if anything to compare it to MGS1. He retreaded quite a few ideas.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 02, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »

Dog is best dog.  Crazy guy covered in blood and his dog.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are also important to see because they were massively innovative in using games as complex storytelling mediums. Kojima broke new ground there, and we wouldn't be where we are today without it.

I would also recommend that anyone who wants to dive deep into the message of MGS2 read Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation, which is more or less the prime thesis of what was going on with that game's high concept.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:33:33 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »

That's interesting!  I did always get the sense that MGS was a labyrinth of nonsense designed to be so bewildering you assume it must be very smart, and if it's channeling Simulacra and Simulation, well there you go.

If you read S&S and come out of it asking "what the fuck did I just put in my brain?" Guy Debord's Society of the Spectacle is a much more coherent talk on the same kind of topic.
Shoes...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 02, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »

Anyone who shys away from a game like that is no true gamer. The most fearsome enemy in metal gear ever! One bite and you're done. .x

Seriously though, MG2 is worth a play if anything to compare it to MGS1. He retreaded quite a few ideas.
NES version of MG1 FTW.

"I'm getting sleepy!!!!
zzz
I feel asleep!!!!!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 02, 2015, 07:05:07 pm »

But nah nah Metal Gear was a very serious espionage thriller from the get go.
"USE CHEESE TO LURE THEM OUT. GOTTA GO MY PIZZA'S HERE." - Master Miller on poisonous Zanzibar hamsters.  Really.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:34 pm »

Sadly, the NES version of Metal Gear was the non-canon one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2015, 07:29:52 pm »

That's interesting!  I did always get the sense that MGS was a labyrinth of nonsense designed to be so bewildering you assume it must be very smart, and if it's channeling Simulacra and Simulation, well there you go.

If you read S&S and come out of it asking "what the fuck did I just put in my brain?" Guy Debord's Society of the Spectacle is a much more coherent talk on the same kind of topic.
Since we're on the topic, I'm fairly certain it isn't intentional by Kojima but the way society has gone in MGS4 is basically everything Paul Virilio is afraid of.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »

Haven't read any Virilio.  But now that you got me on that line of thought I can't stop thinking about the game in god damn critical theory terms.  I thought I was done with this shit when I finished my English gen-eds.  I'm wondering if the opening quote is making any reference to the way video games refer explicitly to video game conceits in-universe.  Ishmael tells you to use the stance button before the helicopters see you.  In any other game I'd gloss over it but with that quote about language being the real human landscape it feels like they're trying to remind you that this is a video game and it has different rules from the real world.

Pulling off the silencer and throwing it to make noise also feels like something intentional.

I'm also interested in the way the game spoils itself with the "opening credits" and tells you who's gonna be in it.  In Alan Wake I thought the TV conceit was annoying; I'm playing a video game, not a TV show.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:24:52 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 124