Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130812 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1815 on: January 19, 2018, 06:30:32 pm »

They probably figured it'd be easier to make a co-op action game than a co-op stealth game (plus zombies are popular, right?)

I imagine people are also kind've upset because of the whole Konami and Hideo Kojima thing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 19, 2018, 06:32:58 pm »

We had a lot of salt about this back when it was announced.

Let's see, right off the bat, the second screenshot they have looks horrible.  If you look, one of the zombies that's being fultoned has some kind of goey red circle around it.  I'm not sure if its supposed to be a crystal sphere that's engulfed the zombies, a wormhole, or the most exaggerated blood spurt ever.  But putting it front and center of their steam advertising with no explanation seems questionable.

The screenshot with the base building looks... pretty much better than the base building we got in V, not going to lie.  More involved at least.  However the base itself is clearly drawing influence from Fallout if you look at the player character in that screenshot.  He's got a cowboy hat and a sledehammer.  Yeah that's... not metal gear solid.  And that's not a metal gear solid style base.  Where's the improbably large metal structure full of dimmly lit hallways, impractical traps, and torture machines?  What we see here looks more like the world's shittiest barracks surrounded by the world's least bulletproof wall.  Hope it never gets attacked by humans, cause that right there is what we call a deathtrap.

We also see near the end the walker gears.  Which your characters would not have been aware of considering where they got warped from.  Its not a particular stretch to think that whatever Thor 3 style nexus you got sucked into would have the walker gears.  But it just drives home how much this game is throwing all the assets from V together rather than making new content.  The walker gears also make little sense in the context of Survive; having a walker that can run faster than a human forever, all the while wielding a minigun that presumably chews through hordes... that's not scary.  At least if you were driving a vehicle you'd have to worry about crashing and then the zombies could catch up with you.  Its the same reason Left 4 Dead never gives you an actual, military tank; that wouldn't be a zombie game any more.  All I'm saying is it seems like they threw that in because they needed more content and didn't have the budget to make more, not because it fit.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 19, 2018, 06:38:19 pm »

Hmm. I'd say that a walker gear fits into a zombie game if it has fairly limited fuel. Charging out into the horde, invincible, before running out of ammo and getting eaten is a pretty common zombie trope. Not that I really trust this game to have the foresight to make it work like that.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:45 pm »

how are you supposed to put together a giant industrialized base like in metal gear when you’re four guys in the land that time forgot
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 19, 2018, 08:21:48 pm »

with METAL GEAR!? and/or NANOMACHINES, SON

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:55 pm »

how are you supposed to put together a giant industrialized base like in metal gear when you’re four guys in the land that time forgot
Find one?  I don't know, where did they get wormhole devices?  I don't exactly know what the rules of this universe are.  Presumably they could pull it out of whatever mysterious orifice Hideo Kojima produced yet another giant ocean base for our heroic band of misfits in the Phantom Pain.

On a more serious note... it could have at least been dug into a mountain or something.  Maybe built into the hull of a destroyed aircraft carrier or at the very least have some of those pre-built military concrete slabs around the inner defenses so they could stand a chance against people with guns.  The base in the screenshot just looks... crappy.  It looks like a construction site the day before they start actually building.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 20, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »

Little surprise there. I was skipping this one from announcement, but I'm hoping the rest of you know better than to give Konami your money in exchange for garbage and attempted addiction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 20, 2018, 08:59:16 pm »

It's like they're trying to get people to not buy it. Jesus.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 20, 2018, 09:01:21 pm »

It's like they're trying to get people to not buy it. Jesus.

"Modern gamers don't like Metal Gear, so we should just can the series. Which we were going to do anyway, but why not also make it such that we can blame the fans?"

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 20, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »

Konami's just trying to make a low-effort game with easy returns here. Hideo Kojima already left, and I doubt anybody at the company really has the motivation to lead a real Metal Gear project without him, fans would probably say it's not really Metal Gear without Kojima, even if whoever was making the game actually tried. So the line of thinking is probably something like "Why bother, just put something out with the name on it."

The only way we'd ever get another proper game in the series is if Kojima somehow bought the rights to make the game with his own company. That's astronomically unlikely, both because Konami likes to make low-effort money off the IP's they hold (see: Pachinko) and because Kojima probably doesn't want to, he keeps saying he's done with the series and wants to something else at least since the second game was in production and now he's finally working on new stuff. I don't think it's in the cards.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 20, 2018, 10:52:45 pm »

Regardless of Kojima's reluctance, Metal Gear's story is basically complete anyway. We've seen the whole path of Snake and Big Boss. The only game you could really ask for now is Revengance 2, which would be nice, but is never happening.

All that said, we'll see how "done" Kojima is if Death Stranding makes a bajilon dollars and Konami has to sell off IPs to avoid bankruptcy...
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 20, 2018, 10:58:30 pm »

We still need a game where you play as the boss, beating up nazis!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 20, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »

She's not really in a position to be a player character, much like late-Big Boss. The Boss is a living legend and BB only beat her because she wanted him to win and she was half dead of cancer already. That doesn't really mesh well with all of the inherent goofiness that you get out of a PC role, particularly in a series like Metal Gear.

I could definitely get behind playing as The Sorrow in WWII, though. You can still have the Boss around without answering the gameplay challenges of heavy pregnancy or being in a master's role, and from the ridiculous way he acts after being fucking shot and killed I think The Sorrow's demeanor is right for a Metal Gear PC. Plus, spirit medium powers are cool without being game disrupting.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 20, 2018, 11:39:14 pm »

Normandy:  Shadow of World War
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 21, 2018, 01:06:33 am »

I'd certainly prefer that over what they're giving us.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124