Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130878 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1770 on: December 01, 2016, 02:18:51 am »

Well, he is the President. He's probably pretty high up amongst the Patriots, if not the highest-ranking human member. You'll notice how he never refers to anybody specific being above him in the group, just a shadowy "they" that enabled him to claim the Presidency in exchange for loyalty. He knows about GW's existence, but only that it's an advanced computer system, not both an AI and his boss.

That's the thing, though, He's working with Solidus in order to force the Patriots to accept him as a member. Then he does that talk about being like a chess pawn, and even if the pawn gets promoted to a queen it's still a playing piece, and he doesn't like that, and essentially gets betrayed by Solidus who tells him a playing piece can never become a player.

His analogy breaks down later because he then talks about having the power of a king, but he does strike me as a little bit unhinged...

It may just be he has different nanomachines than the military ones which are the ones said to have that lalelulilo side-effect. Ames is referred to as Colonel by Ocelot.

Ah well, just a "hey this is interesting" thought that struck me while playing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 01, 2016, 05:41:56 am »

Well, he is the President. He's probably pretty high up amongst the Patriots, if not the highest-ranking human member. You'll notice how he never refers to anybody specific being above him in the group, just a shadowy "they" that enabled him to claim the Presidency in exchange for loyalty. He knows about GW's existence, but only that it's an advanced computer system, not both an AI and his boss.

He's not one of the Patriots. He was trying to barter his way into being one of them by holding their main project hostage. Then he figures out the true purpose of Raiden's mission...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 01, 2016, 06:02:28 am »

He's not one of the Patriots. He was trying to barter his way into being one of them by holding their main project hostage. Then he figures out the true purpose of Raiden's mission...
He's as much of a Patriot as humans are allowed to be. The human Patriots think they're collaborators on the outside, when in reality there is no inside other than the AIs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:58 am »

I can't believe D-Walker was a Patriot the whole time...!
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 01, 2016, 08:30:01 am »

D-Dog: "Woof bark pant [all according to keikaku]"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: December 01, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »

Dog =/= AI
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 01, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »

Looks like someone didn't S-rank all the missions!
(I'm kidding, but I wouldn't have been that surprised)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 01, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

Metal Gear Solid Hill 2V?
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 01, 2016, 03:40:49 pm »

No, because we're not allowed to have nice things anymore.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 01, 2017, 10:43:04 pm »

N-n-n-necro! I'm surprised how long this thread has gone without a post.

Anyhoo, now that school is basically over for me, I had some time to jump on my console and binge MGSV:TPP for a long weekend and get about halfway through it.

I already know the basic overarching story for the series as well as the finer points of 3 and 5, but I've really fallen in love with the world of MGS. Hideo Kojima is nothing short of a genius, and I am compelled to play the rest of the series.

Really, I'd just like some opinions from B12ers on the age old question of playing through in release order or chronological? At least, what I can get my hands on. I've got an aging Xbox 360 and a Mac that'll need to emulate anything.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1780 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:37 pm »

IMO, play them in release order. The progression of game mechanics is very enjoyable to see, and the context of the game that came before the one you're playing is more important than the in-universe chronology. Each game built on the one that came before it (except Revengeance, that's the only one that I would say pretty much can stand on it's own).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:59:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 02, 2017, 02:15:20 am »

Release order, definitely.

Also WOOP WOOP MGO2R coming for the official PS3 build!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:46 am »

You can, however, stop right before Peacewalker... That is part of a series of games that have no conclusion.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:34 am »

My 2c is that it’s ok to fully play TPP, as there are not any real spoilers for the rest of the series. Don’t forget the Ground-Zero ‘demo’, - the tight missions and the well-designed map makes it almost as great as the main game IMHO.
After that, then yes, play the main-series 1, 2, 3.
If possible, then play Peace walker to see the follow up on Big Boss story (and the background for the GZ / TPP setup).

End with number 4.
It is IMHO the worst, but it brings a good feeling of closure to the saga. I love the opening words ‘On a tired battlefield …’, - not exhausted after a good fight, not beaten after defeat, - just f*** tired. That is the general mood, and it’s a fitting end to the series.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 02, 2017, 02:59:27 am »

Ohh yeah I FREEKEN forgot that the entire story of Peace Walker is... sort of a direct continuation of 3... Almost like it is an essay on the third.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124