Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131004 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1665 on: February 24, 2016, 08:12:46 pm »

Also 2 is great, maybe better than 3.

Wash your mouth out with soap, you have such a dirty mouth >:(
This better not be about Raiden, because he's a great character and was before he was a cyberninja.

Raiden is such an annoying character. Even MGS1 Snake is more interesting than Raiden, at least he's too busy questioning what everything is to be as whiny and angsty as Raiden. The emo cyberninja thing was a minor improvement only because it was stupidly hilarious and we got the joy of seeing Raiden lose all his limbs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:20 pm »

I always liked Raiden. He's literally a videogame junkie sent on a special forces mission and is so very clearly over his head. Even so, he isn't a fucker and I don't consider him very whiny. The things he complains about are things any person would complain about, since the whole mission is messed up.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:06 pm »

Like "I don't know how to defuse a bomb" and "These people have literal superpowers".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 24, 2016, 09:02:31 pm »

And "my CO starts out of character and degenerates from there, also he brought my girlfriend who is definitely not military on the mission".
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 24, 2016, 09:05:44 pm »

And "my sword is a tool of justice, but this isn't my sword".
Black lives matter.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 24, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »

That's the fing, tho. He's not just anybody, he's meant to be super-secret-agent-awesomesauce sent on the mission 'cause no-one else can do it. Also

Spoiler: spoilerific (click to show/hide)

Rose is also an intelligence analyst who worked on a military base so... kinda reasonable she would be there (outside of spoilers)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 24, 2016, 09:16:05 pm »

Being a child soldier literally excuses him for any complaining he does ever at all.
Black lives matter.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 24, 2016, 09:18:52 pm »

I feel like Raiden's angst is the only thing grounding Revenge-ants.  Without our familiar angsty hero the game's story is just this weird writing mass of grey cybernetic limbs and Japanese steel.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »

Raiden is clearly deeply repressed about his time in the Small Boy Unit, such that he doesn't even remember Solidus. That's part of the whole deal in MGS4 and Revengance, that after everything that's happened he's finally just fucking done pretending to be sane and lets Jack the Ripper out.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 25, 2016, 05:30:16 am »

I feel like Raiden's angst is the only thing grounding Revenge-ants.  Without our familiar angsty hero the game's story is just this weird writing mass of grey cybernetic limbs and Japanese steel.

Rev-engines is the thing from Akira in video game form.

I haven't played the others, I thought his letting Jack out was just coming to terms with the fact that all that warrior poet justice shit is nonsense and killing murderers just increases the net amount of senseless violence in the world.

BUt he's a living weapon, so he can't exactly go become a jain or anything.  World's already on fire, may as well grab some gasoline.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 25, 2016, 08:40:21 am »

That's accurate for Revengance, while in MGS2 he's in hard denial about Jack and in MGS4 he is so well into the fucked bin that he doesn't bother with being a psycho-sadist outside the homoerotic Vamp fights and otherwise just sort of glazes over while turning people into salami.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:30 am »

So... New update, and a bit of an event going on.

If you don't already have a second FOB, they've reduced the price to purchase one (with MB coins) by 50%, which is pretty cool. This week also seems to have a bit of a bonus in terms of MB coin availability for daily rewards, I think there's 200-300 available total over the week ('til Sunday)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:04 am »

I've been playing 5 more recently after taking a bit of a break. Still an amazing game, but none of the "scaling difficulty" features like soldiers using new equipment or tactics to counter your own really seems to have an effect anymore. Excepting where I know I'll have to take down a helicopter or something, I'm dropping into most missions and side quests (I've finished them all at this point, just replaying for side objectives or ratings, or to earn more money for the last few absurdly expensive development projects) with just the bare bones starting rifle and tranq pistol. I take along some boxes for fun and transport purposes, and C4 for any hard targets, but that's the extent of my prep. Everything else is aquire on site or rarely as a single airdrop if I come upon a really tricky situation. I even tend to leave behind buddies, or limit myself to D-Horse, although the buddies are still fun to play with and pretty vital to S ranking a lot of things.

Still don't like the multiplayer, but that's just me. I have enough fun goofing around with the NPC Soviets and PFC troops.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »

Yeah, personally I really like to go out with just a rifle, tranq, C4 and cardboard box. That's really all you need to start out with unless you're doing something particularly weird. If I'm feeling like messing around a lot, I'll just put on the infinity bandana and bring out the stealth camo.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:17 pm »

I go for the tranquilizer, tranq. rifle and one of the AMR rifles. I tend to favour the tranq. rifle, but I usually just head shot guys who aren't very good, with the rifle.

But that's just 'cause I'm re-doing missions to get S-ranks and all mission parameters, and don't really want to piss about too much.

I want to do a subsistence run of the game at some point though... I would rather enjoy that.

One thing I'm not sure about doing is collecting all the animals. Anyone done that yet?

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 124