Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130841 times)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »

So I wanna ask you peeps that what was your time for killing The End in MGS3.
Mine was 2 hours 11 minutes. I got his moss suit and Mosin Nagant. Man one hell of a fight.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:43 am »

I can't recall of the top of my head since it has been like 1-2 years since I last beat the game, but I think it took me no longer than 10-20 minutes give or take playing on normal. (If you are talking about the very last boss fight)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2011, 12:03:32 am »

I actually enjoy the Raiden sections more than I probably would have liked a game that was just about Snake.  He's just... so snotty and fun to laugh at.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2011, 12:10:49 am »

I can't recall of the top of my head since it has been like 1-2 years since I last beat the game, but I think it took me no longer than 10-20 minutes give or take playing on normal. (If you are talking about the very last boss fight)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No, that's the fight against The Boss. The End is the sniper battle, and yeah. Done the way the game seems to want, it takes a LONG time. However, once you figure it out, you can beat it in a few minutes.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2011, 01:06:00 am »

Spoiler: The End? (click to show/hide)

I actually enjoy the Raiden sections more than I probably would have liked a game that was just about Snake.  He's just... so snotty and fun to laugh at.

Does it count as a "Raiden section" when it's 90+% of the game?  He is a huge dork though, I did like that.  Funny that his dorkiness completely disappeared in his transition to 4.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2011, 01:43:06 am »

Does it count as a "Raiden section" when it's 90+% of the game?  He is a huge dork though, I did like that.  Funny that his dorkiness completely disappeared in his transition to 4.

Very well--I think it's better that this game was made with a non-Snake section, because (for me, at least) I think there'd be a lot more sequelitis if we just had more Snake.  And, see, I'm glad that one got to play as Snake in the first place, since a. Otacon save codecs, b. I enjoy being trolled and c. the fanservice is too good to pass up on.

I don't feel like all of the dork died, though.  The vast majority of the horribly dorky lines were Raiden lines... for example, the "it even rained the day I was born" thing.  That's just terrible.  And all of the swoopy swoopy ninja action seems to be played for ridiculousness.

The only bad thing is that I'm actually starting to dread saving.  I didn't enjoy saving when it was Meiling, but it was okay enough.  Rose... I actually dread having to talk/listen to her.

*sigh*

Oh, well.  Three down and only a billion more C4 blocks to go.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2011, 01:50:42 am »

Rose... I actually dread having to talk/listen to her.
To wit: "WHY DONT YOU LOVE ME EMPTY ROOM NO SOUL IM NOT TALKING TO YOU BIRD-KILLER"
I WONT MAKE YOU SAVE
DO NOT SAVE
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »

To wit: "WHY DONT YOU LOVE ME EMPTY ROOM NO SOUL IM NOT TALKING TO YOU BIRD-KILLER"
I WONT MAKE YOU SAVE
DO NOT SAVE

Hahahaha.  Something like that.  But in terms of professionalism, Raiden is just unbearable.  "Are those my orders?!"  "I don't think I can do it!"  "EXCUSE ME WHILE I HOLD YOU UP OH WAIT."

I did laugh when Olga basically said "fuck off, I don't think so."  She's rapidly rising on my list of favorite characters in this game.

Also, kudos to the animators for Fatman's hands.  I was impressed.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2011, 12:23:02 pm »

I think MGS: Rising will  serve to explain where the dorkiness went.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

I think MGS: Rising will  serve to explain where the dorkiness went.

Hope so.

The thing about hiding in lockers is that no one can stuff you in them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2011, 02:52:51 pm »

The thing about hiding in lockers is that no one can stuff you in them.

Now what, bullies? *trollface*  Then again, it's not like Raiden ever went to junior-high...

By the way, didn't you say you found some more analytical essays?  I'd always love to see more people try to explain the plot.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2011, 03:12:10 pm »

By the way, didn't you say you found some more analytical essays?  I'd always love to see more people try to explain the plot.

Oh, yeah!

I did, but they're on my other computer (in a different city), and I haven't finished checking for quality control.  I did finish reading a quartet of feminist essays that were written by someone who didn't seem to fully understand what they were doing, but I just bookmarked them, instead of posting.

There seems to also be a couple on Nietzschean analysis, but the big thing seems to be Dawkins' Selfish Gene theory.

In any case, I have about 7 essays waiting for review, so those should be filtering through over the next little bit.

I have my own theories, of course... some more meta than otherwise.  I don't think I've even gotten to the mindscrew infestation yet.  Just cruising around with my guard uniform right now, looking for hostages.  Nice to have the M4 back, though.  I try to kill as few people as possible, and this game is bloody hard without a gun.

Also looking forward to hooking up with Snake again.  I have no idea what he's doing off on the other Shell--sleeping again?

*siiiigh*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:08 pm »

Also looking forward to hooking up with Snake again.  I have no idea what he's doing off on the other Shell--sleeping again?

*siiiigh*

You're going to be so sad when you finally get to play as him again, for about five minutes, before something really stupid and tragic happens.  I can't remember where that fits into the plot though, relative to disarming bombs.

MGS3 continues to be entertaining no matter how many times I've seen it.  Oh no, not the BEES.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »

You're going to be so sad when you finally get to play as him again, for about five minutes, before something really stupid and tragic happens.  I can't remember where that fits into the plot though, relative to disarming bombs.

MGS3 continues to be entertaining no matter how many times I've seen it.  Oh no, not the BEES.

Knowing me, I shall use that opportunity to die about 20,000 times.

Also, time to look into acquiring PS2 capabilities... hurm.

EDIT: Okay, the "uniform flies off when you bump into people because you're a bit too big, but at least your walk doesn't give you away" is hilarious.

Also the fact that we seem to be playing as Meryl... sort of.

I'll also say that the "I don't want you to think of me as Jack's girlfriend" line was pretty chilling, because that was precisely what I'd been doing.  Huh.

EDIT EDIT: I hate the fact that I'm 7 hours into the game, have finally figured out this stealth thing, and am still falling to my doom due to slipping in seagull shit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:29:06 pm by Vector »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

Protip: don't step in shit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 124