Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131033 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1635 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:35 am »

Finally gave MGO a try and find it fairly fun, if frustraiting at points - started as enforcer thinking I might get something that explodes, oh boy was I wrong. Hard grind, but at least the shield + revolver makes you win every face to face encounter. Then tried Scout and just by throwing those marking nades I got my ~7.000 to 10.000 ~ xp/game to 20.000~ ish.

Game is fun, I just wish they fixed the many issues - i.e. where is my ping at, dude? Those lag-ports are annoying, especially since I got fiber. That you don't get anything extra for stunning someone who then gets fult'n'd is shameful, all the people that murder the enemys I knocked out also need a spanking and why is everyone runing around half-naked?

But it's all worth it for the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 24, 2016, 07:57:12 am »

Which version are you playing, out of curiosity?
The HD collection.

I'm getting a little frustrated.  The game has spent absurdly long on tutorials and story introduction but I don't feel quite like I learned how to play.  Right when I felt like I was beginning to grasp the stealth the game locked me in a fairly cramped/linear space with 8 elite versions of the normal mooks and told me I had to defeat all of them.  I guess repeatedly hiding under a building is one definition of tactical espionage action.  The controls are also pissing me off.  The crouch/prone/roll controls bind entirely too much to one button and one stick.  The act of readying and aiming a gun is needlessly involved and worse, once you start aiming you can't necessarily stop without firing the gun (can't hit RT if you're in a place you can lean, can't stand up or crouch if you're prone in a crawlspace).  This seems kind of egregious in a stealth game.

I knew what I was in for when I went back to play an old game so that's fair, but god there are some odd decisions with the controls.  In some cases the control binds are needlessly efficient (there's no door opening button, you just walk into it) in some cases they're needlessly wasteful (there are two context sensitive keys).

Edit: Beat it by switching back to the original camera angle rather than the third person one.  Still didn't perfectly work; the area is divided by walls but still open enough that an enemy on the roof can spot you without you yourself seeing him.  Also forgot all that headshot and stealth bullshit and did it with good old run and gun silliness.

That's just how this series plays. It's got awkward controls even all the way up to the very new MGS5. But they're rooted in 3 decades of history and thus if you've stuck with the series for most of it's lifespan, you're used to it.

Despite all that it has improved immensely. Without even going back to the 8 bit era, Metal Gear Solid 1 didn't even have the ability to aim weapons nor did it have analog stick support. You used dpad controls to vaguely sort of point Snake in the direction of the enemy and shoot at them hoping you hit.

I'll be honest, I love the series, I love everything about it. But the gameplay can be infuriating sometimes. Before TPP came out I did a run through of every canon game I could get my hands on. (Didn't have a PSP so those stayed out of reach other than Peacewalker on the PS3). I started from the beginning with Metal Gear 1 and 2 and worked my way through the series in release order. Excepting a noticeable downstep in gameplay that was made in Peacewalker in order to fit it on the PSP with it's hardware and controls, it has improved immensely with every iteration. However, 3 was probably the peak of improvement before you reached diminishing returns. You can go play 4 or 5 and come back to 3 and not really have much of an issue with "old game syndrome" because despite the improvements later on, 3 sort of cemented the basic form of the series from that point on.

(Some would argue Solid 2 was a bigger step up from Solid 1, and I can respect that argument, but 2 was still very experimental. New things were being thrown in and the full extent of the hardware was still being tested. Mistakes were made, but it was still a good product. 3 however was the final masterpiece of the PS2 era. Everything had been tested and polished to perfection. What you got with 3 was the best Metal Gear they could provide at the time, and it still holds up because of that. And in many ways it's still my absolute favorite of the series.)

Not that anyone asked my opinion.

tl;dr: It's metal gear. Expect plenty of built in awkwardness.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 24, 2016, 02:29:31 pm »

you come into my home, you say tpp has awkward controls,
Black lives matter.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 24, 2016, 02:38:24 pm »

you come into my home, you say tpp has awkward controls,

All the games have awkward controls :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:28 pm »

The controls are fine, you just have to get used to them.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 24, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »

for some reason mgsv's controls weren't awkward at all for me
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »

I didn't have any trouble with 4 or 5. Fairly standard third-person-shooter controls.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 24, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

Some additional observations about the introductory sequence to MGS 3 (even though I already beat it):
*"Snake, you can't sweat or poop anywhere because you might give away the US government's involvement."  This is a thing Snake was told immediately after casually discarding a glove he touched on the outside with his bare hand and a distinctive flight helmet with the words "US Army" painted on it.
*Everyone knows what's physically going on in my immediate area, even if they're on a plane and I'm under thick tree cover.  Was this explained in an earlier game?
*I love how fultoning has gone from "the balloon will take about twenty minutes to inflate" to "just fulton any dude you find, we'll handle the rest" to "boss, we could really use that APC in our arsenal".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 24, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »

"Being detected will literally cause nuclear war."
[is detected many, many times with no repercussions]
Black lives matter.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 24, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »

What I love is that the Fulton Recovery System was and is a real thing that was really tested on human beings and discarded in favor of helicopters. All I can imagine when I think of it is an enthusiastic military R&D director pitching it via powerpoint to the JCS and them just staring.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »

What I love about the fulton is how they initially tested it on a pig.

According to reports, the pig voided itself, and was recovered dazed but fine. When it recovered it attacked the crew.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 24, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »

Apparently some human subjects also voided themselves (those downward Gs, man), which probably goes a long way to explaining why it was never widely adopted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 24, 2016, 06:08:28 pm »

Which version are you playing, out of curiosity?
The HD collection.

HD collection is great, best way to play Peacewalker, which is one of the better Metal Gears. If you're playing them in chronological order like I did recently, Peacewalker leads right into Ground Zeroes. I think Ground Zeroes takes place a couple months after Peacewalker actually, with the same main characters and stuff. A lot of the events in V are set up in Peacewalker, even though a lot of the things are first introduced in III.

As a whole, I feel the Big Boss games are a lot more cohesive than the later three, particularly because you're following the same core set of characters from III through V. One and Two are good, but they feel so removed from 4 even though 4 feels like a logical conclusion to the series, chronologically speaking.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:39 pm »

The solid snake games are all very fun in their own way, but the writing was hacked together. None of them were ever really intended to be a cohesive story. Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid 1 are ALMOST the exact same game. (Actually that's a common theme where most of the games follow a very similar outline excepting maybe Peacewalker and 5.) MGS4 is mostly even "You know all that stuff you thought happened? Ignore half of it and here's a bunch of contrived reasons why the rest of it sort of makes sense."

The games featuring Big Boss were actually mostly allowed a clean canvas to paint upon. Until 4, none of the Solid Snake games really gave you any info about him other than he was "A Legendary Mercenary". Even Metal Gear 1 and 2, which he took part in, didn't provide many details. This allows a lot more freedom to tell a story that doesn't really have to come from anywhere and only has to go in the most vague of directions.

Obviously though, any of the games is only as good as how much it features Ocelot.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 24, 2016, 07:11:39 pm »

dont talk about peace walker like that
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 124