Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131015 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1620 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:52 am »

Nothing else, Scout's playstyle of sniping/marking is just eh, feels pretty boring, and I really, REALLY dislike how the lethal weapons work, especially automatics (goddamn mrs-4), and I don't really like the whole "tanky" playstyle either, so Enforcer's not for me. That one's mostly a matter of principle, though.

That, and I was really looking forward to put all of my super-stealthy skills to use, this is a Metal Gear game after all.

I just don't like how Infiltrators are so ridiculously squishy, that combined with lag means you don't even have time to dive into cover, and even if you do get into cover, lag will probably kill you anyway. Maps are way too open too. It really sucks that my favorite playstyle (or just the only one I even like in the first place, really) feels completely useless in every situation that doesn't involve Amber Station or Gray Rampart in some way. Those maps are really good for ambushes/traps.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 25, 2016, 06:30:38 am »

gettle mear...
Black lives matter.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 25, 2016, 06:35:45 am »

Yeah, I only really play Scout, they're really versatile, and actually get a pretty hefty selection of lethal weapons to choose from, I mean, not non-lethal, all I have so far is the Wu-pistol and the Tranq sniper rifle, which is nearly useless because of how difficult it is to aim, in fact, I'm just generally terrible with sniping, but at least the MD-2000 can take some classes out with one bodyshot, you need two shots from the Nagant to temporarily knock someone out, and they will be woken up by their buddies.
Also, about you complaining that infiltrators are squishy, jesus christ, you should see how bad Fulton +3 and stealth camo equipped Infiltrator can be, I've seen two of them take out three, one of which being an enforcer, I know how squishy they are, hell, I can take one out in one burst from my G-44, but all they need is to judo throw you once in clear sky and bam, you're fultoned with a ballon that takes the better half of a magazine to destroy, those types need to be that squishy.
I've always thought of traps like the plushies or claymores as area denial stuff more than anything, they're too easy to spot, apart from the fulton cannon, which is BULLSHIT because it can take about 6 shots by which point it's already fultoned you.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 25, 2016, 06:46:55 am »

Yeah, I always just place plushies around corners/in grass where people are gonna sprint past without looking twice.

And fulton punchers are only bad if your team sucks and can't shoot a balloon, and, well... your team is always gonna suck. That's what you get for trying to appeal to the casual FPS crowd...  ::)
I refuse to fulton punch, though, Interrogation 1, CQC 1, and Fulton 2 is much more satisfying to use, and it's pretty useful against tunnel-vision snipers.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 23, 2016, 05:36:14 pm »

I'm doing it.  After years of crazy shit, I'm finally going to play a mainline MGS game, as opposed to Rising.

...why does this game begin by explaining the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 23, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »

Because you proceed to [stop the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis].
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 23, 2016, 05:52:05 pm »

It's a beautiful story in its own right, but Metal Gear is famous for deconstructing things and this one is also a parody of Bond movies. The villain is an over-the-top loon with poorly explained supernatural abilities who regularly monologues plot points at you. The female lead spends the whole game wearing an unzipped aviator's suit and little else. [There's a torture scene, except instead of Goldfinger strapping Bond to a table and expecting him to die, the bad guy beats the shit out of you on camera.] Instead of driving around Moscow in a tuxedo drinking a martini and mowing down guys with a machine gun for several hours, you crawl around Sokrovenno in combat fatigues eating snakes and getting shot at by an old man for several hours.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:02:00 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »

So far my experience:
*got beat up by crocodiles
*got caught in first stealth sequence, evade but then get turned around and go back to first area
*get caught again, get turned around again
*knock out first guard
*look up on internet how to hide the body, procure stun grenade in process
*immediately get caught again, run through first area rolling into dudes because I can't figure out how to CQC
*enter bridge area, still on alert and nowhere to hide, don't feel like running back
*start tossing stun grenades and firing tranq darts, knock everyone out
*see dudes on other side of bridge, headshot him before he can
*other guy starts calling for backup, kill him before he can
*alert status gone, must be no enemies, go across bridge
*get shot off bridge by unseen sniper
*A button goes up in games, right? (hint: not necessarily in this one, Y was probably the correct choice)

And that's how I had my first death, turned out it was via ravine.  So far its pretty fun, the controls have me flailing around tho.  Not sure if I want to go non-lethal, its normally my preferred style given the option but I feel like I'll have more fun with the game if I let myself use all the options.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 23, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »

It'll save on frustration if its your first time through.  You could always play it non-lethal till you decide its not anymore, then go back to being non-lethal.  You can go full non-lethal on a second run if you are inclined.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »

...why does this game begin by explaining the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis?
If you're asking maybe you weren't properly prepared for a Hideo Kojima Game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »

If you're asking maybe you weren't properly prepared for a Hideo Kojima Game.

Can you ever be properly prepared for a Hideo Kojima game? There's usually a massive unforeseen (unless you're really paying attention) plot twist at some point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 23, 2016, 08:32:30 pm »

It has come to my attention that it was not an unseen sniper that knocked me off the bridge, I just walked too close to the edge like an idiot.  In hindsight, probably an intentional stealth feature(?)

The game clearly gives me a lot of options for stealth.  Unfortunately the one I've used most so far is "press A + direction in an attempt to go prone in grass and accidentally combat roll" :P  Getting the hang of things, slowly.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:36 pm »

Which version are you playing, out of curiosity?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »

The 3ds version that I played the demo for had this weird "Feature" where the wind would instantly knock you off the bridge if you didn't hold the controller in a absurdly specific spot. It thankfully doesn't exist in the original game.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:20 pm »

Which version are you playing, out of curiosity?
The HD collection.

I'm getting a little frustrated.  The game has spent absurdly long on tutorials and story introduction but I don't feel quite like I learned how to play.  Right when I felt like I was beginning to grasp the stealth the game locked me in a fairly cramped/linear space with 8 elite versions of the normal mooks and told me I had to defeat all of them.  I guess repeatedly hiding under a building is one definition of tactical espionage action.  The controls are also pissing me off.  The crouch/prone/roll controls bind entirely too much to one button and one stick.  The act of readying and aiming a gun is needlessly involved and worse, once you start aiming you can't necessarily stop without firing the gun (can't hit RT if you're in a place you can lean, can't stand up or crouch if you're prone in a crawlspace).  This seems kind of egregious in a stealth game.

I knew what I was in for when I went back to play an old game so that's fair, but god there are some odd decisions with the controls.  In some cases the control binds are needlessly efficient (there's no door opening button, you just walk into it) in some cases they're needlessly wasteful (there are two context sensitive keys).

Edit: Beat it by switching back to the original camera angle rather than the third person one.  Still didn't perfectly work; the area is divided by walls but still open enough that an enemy on the roof can spot you without you yourself seeing him.  Also forgot all that headshot and stealth bullshit and did it with good old run and gun silliness.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:08:33 am by EnigmaticHat »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 124