Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131321 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »

So guys. By Episode 40 and lots of fooling around, I feel I’ve mostly exhausted the game. It’s fantastic, but over 60 hours in, it’s become repetitive and rather overlong. Nothing new’s brought to the table from Episode 30 onwards. I find myself losing my patience and trying to rush through the missions, sometimes with dreadful results.

So it’s great, but I kind of want to get it over with at this point.

My guess is Kojima planned something grand and robust for the game’s 50 episodes, but took too long and by episode 30 the budget was dwindling, so he was forced to introduce filler and reuse existing assets to populate the last 20 missions.

Perhaps the game would’ve been an even better, tighter experience with 35-40 well-done story missions instead of bloated 50. I suppose we’ll never know.

There's more story missions up ahead

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 19, 2015, 04:51:48 pm »

Also: reverse-engineering meaning opening the .dat files and poking around in them. It's not hard at all, all the game logic's in raw .lua files in there AFAIK.
That's... an interesting choice. Why couldn't they simply put it into the executable in a binary form, if they really wanted people to not "reverse engineer" the game?
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 19, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »

Konami doesn't want people messing around with the code, programmers might not give a shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2015, 05:03:57 pm »

Holy shit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The only hint I'll give is fulton people. A lot.
Black lives matter.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 19, 2015, 07:54:31 pm »

So guys. By Episode 40 and lots of fooling around, I feel I’ve mostly exhausted the game. It’s fantastic, but over 60 hours in, it’s become repetitive and rather overlong. Nothing new’s brought to the table from Episode 30 onwards. I find myself losing my patience and trying to rush through the missions, sometimes with dreadful results.

So it’s great, but I kind of want to get it over with at this point.

My guess is Kojima planned something grand and robust for the game’s 50 episodes, but took too long and by episode 30 the budget was dwindling, so he was forced to introduce filler and reuse existing assets to populate the last 20 missions.

Perhaps the game would’ve been an even better, tighter experience with 35-40 well-done story missions instead of bloated 50. I suppose we’ll never know.

Yeah the second part of the game was quite bad, its really a shame that and the lack of a real MGS style story. Its not a bad game by any means but it leaves a weird taste on the mouth after finishing it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 19, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »

I gotta be honest, unless there's some ruse cruse waiting with the release of MGO I'd have to consider this the worst Metal Gear game, even though it is a great video game. I can't enjoy the way it played out, especially all the people praising there being minimal story. Overwhelming story is what I like about Metal Gear.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 19, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »

I burnt out around mission 37 or so.  Once the first chapter's done everything else is just kind of weird filler and stuff I don't care about.  I still need to finish it if only to find out what they're planning on doing with Rufio and the kid from Doctor Who, but the vast majority of the game's narrative steam went out with the end of chapter 1.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 19, 2015, 08:29:21 pm »

I can't even imagine that level of graphics-jumping. MGS3 to PW and TPP, then back to MG/2 and MGS/2... Yikes. :P
Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 19, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »

I think I'd rather play them in release order.  Something like the Machete Star Wars sequence.  Start with Snake's conflict with Big Boss, rewind time to see the origins of the villain, then head back to the future.

Though a modification might be in order.  MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS2 > Time Warp > MGS3, MGS:PO, MGS:PW, MGS5:GZ MGS5 > Time Warp > MGS4, MGR.  I haven't actually played the series enough to know how well that'd work but it seems like a good setup from my basic understanding.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 19, 2015, 09:00:17 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty good.
But it's a while with no Solid Snake, if you like him.

In other news,
Black lives matter.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »

y'know, I don't know a ton about the Metal Gear franchise, but I've watched a lot and really can't wait to get my hands on both this game and the HD collection. honestly, entering late into both this game and the franchise, I feel a profound sense of sadness at the ending of this epic. The story of Big Boss interests me on a deep level, and i'm so sad that the first game I play will be the last in the series.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 19, 2015, 09:25:50 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty good.
But it's a while with no Solid Snake, if you like him.

In other news,

Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 19, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »

It might not have been the end of MGS (it might have been the end of Kojima-esque ones, though) if Konami hadn't hacked their arms off by stopping triple-A games... Dammit, Konami.
Implying I don't have a sense of pride.
Black lives matter.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:13 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:12 pm »

Oh.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 124