Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves will not equip themselves  (Read 856 times)

ExaltedLeader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military dwarves will not equip themselves
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:03:00 am »

I've tried this in 3 different world generation attempts now:

Go to the military screen, assign dwarves to a squad, set-up their gear. Said gear is available and ready for use in the weapons & armor stockpile.

The dwarves just stand around with whatever they had in hand before they were assigned to the squad, looking extremely non-threatening.

I've tried setting them to replace their clothing instead of wearing the armor over their clothing. No dice. I've tried unassigning and re-assigning the dwarves to their squads. No dice. I've messed around with the settings in the scheduling system. No dice.

It just seems to be a broken feature.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, do you know of a workaround?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves will not equip themselves
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:11 am »

Did you make the squads active? S to open up the squads, A to select the squad [I assume its your A squad] then T [I think] to make them 'Active/Training' instead of 'Inactive'.

Not sure if this will fix your problem, but it sounds like something you haven't tried.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

ExaltedLeader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:43 am »

Yes, I did that. Many, many times. No dice.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:25 am »

Are they also miners, hunters or woodcutters? The classic thing people do is set their woodcutters to also be axedwarves. This does not work.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

ExaltedLeader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:54:03 am »

Are they also miners, hunters or woodcutters? The classic thing people do is set their woodcutters to also be axedwarves. This does not work.

Oh. Yes, they were all woodcutters.

I'll try it with some of my other dwarves and see if it works then.

...Erm. Why can't woodcutters be set as axedwarves? Just a bug?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:02:05 am »

...Erm. Why can't woodcutters be set as axedwarves? Just a bug?
As it's been explained to me...  Woodcutters, Hunters, and Miners already have Uniforms which includes a weapon, thus there is a conflict between which weapon the Dwarf needs to equip.  The Job Uniform cannot be removed without deselecting the Job.

Side note:  It does work to set up the squad of Axedwarfs have them train, then disband the squad in the "Woodcutting season" reasign them as Woodcutters, then in Military season rebuild the squad so it will train... etc.  It's a lot of work doing this, but it means that atleast the Woodcutters will be trained in Axes should they get jumped while out cutting wood, or in my setup:  woodcutting, fishing, gather plants, and recovering stuff from outside.

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »

I would like to Hijack and add to this:

I am having a similar problem, I just created a new uniform, for a new squad of 3 soon to be axe dwarfs.  All 3 where peasants with nothing but hauling skills active.  I have set them to active \ train, assigned them a barracks.  They will show up wearing random bits of cloth and leather.  Their uniforms are supposed to be in full steel armor that I know to have plenty of extra suits of armor.

Any idea's or things i should check to solve why they are just wearing random stuff? 
Join my Mini Trooper Raid Army:
http://rolens-rangers.minitroopers.com

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »

Try re-assigning the uniform.  Use (e) to open the equipment screen, then assign uniform (capital N or U I think).  Select your uniform then hit Shift+Enter (assign to all in the squad).

Uniform changes do not take effect in squads previously assigned to them, you must do this any time you wish to update your squads' uniforms.