Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support  (Read 3129 times)

Griallia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with why Kobolds and goblins without no_eat and no_drink goes extinct under 5 years is that they have [bonecarn].

This makes them, Carnivore. Every mod I have ran into uses farmers, since farming is a reliable source of food. Heak, even the orcs had their fair share of veggies. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26858.510

Humans, farmer.
Elves, picked berries.
Dwarves, plump helmets.
Orcs, Veggies and death.

The problem is that there isn't a perfect way that I know of, to create a carnivorous civilization. There just isn't enough meat thats trapped, hunted, fished to survive even 5 years of world gen. Of course, there's always that one lucky civilization every 100 world gens.

Give civilizations a way to hold some sort of livestock. Of course, this would kind of ruin goblin zoos. =/.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:43:08 pm »

[BONECARN] ≠ carnivore.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Griallia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »

Bonecarn implies carnivore. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Creature_token#B

Also I tested it out myself. Gave goblins planters with bone carn on. Nothing. Goblins with bone carn off, their eating their greens.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:28:07 pm »

I thought the [CARNIVORE] tag made them carnivores? O.o
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »

Toady plans on not making them eat at all. He said so himself.

Personally I'd rather like to see them like the Mongols, who were mostly carnivorous and herded animals with them wherever they went, but Toady said he doesn't want them like that.

I'm sure that it must be possible for the Goblins to get their food entirely from raiding villages and stuff, if Toady decided to implement that. But they'd have to be omnivores to get enough food even then.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:15:52 am »

I don't understand why they can't subsist by raiding other settlements for their food. Toady says that herding goblins don't seem scary enough. That's fair, but why not have them as the viscous little marauders that they are? Running down from the hills and raiding human settlements, forcing their way into dwarven fortresses and making off with the food stockpiles, intercepting trade caravans and stripping them of food.

It's kinda annoying that I never have to feed the goblin prisoners I capture.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:36:37 am »

Goblins eat... They eat Air.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:37 am »

He already said about how he doesn't want them herding, they don't seem scary... don't they already shear troll wool FFS? IMO Goblins herding isn't 'not scary'. It's survival. Just make them keep some sort of strange meat beast in their evil towers. They don't have to go out and build fields and have oo-ar Goblin far-mers. They should be forced to eat. If not, then what's the point of playing the game? Everyone else needs to eat (Kobolds should have to. :P), has nobody taught the Goblins that starvation = losing = fun?

EDIT: As for Bonecarn, AFAIK Carnivore means meat only, Bonecarn means they can eat choke on bones, and it implies Carnivore, none of the tags means they are omnivorous... assuming they're not a grazer or whatever. Presumably we'll get a Herbivore tag soon. I dunno. What about [MENTAL_DISEASE_FROM_EATING_OWN_SPECIES_IN_SLOP_FOOD] on cows? ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:11:33 am by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:38 am »

Goblins eat... They eat Air.

Goblins live for the evulz.  :P

Actually, I see them being on the Golden Horde/Dothraki diet: They drink the milk and blood of their mounts, as well as the occasional bit of mystery jerky.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:11:37 am »

The problem mostly is that Goblins are starting to approach a very dangerous area known as "Mary Sue"ism.

A physical non-mystical civilisation that doesn't need to eat because any means to procure enough food to live would deter from their fear factor... has a rather indicative trait.

I can only assume they filter minerals in the air and through a process of fusion cause the molecules to split, filtering the energy to allow them to live. Of course this explanation means that Goblins are also radioactive.

Or I guess that they are beings born from incarnate fear and they eat the nightmares of children from beyond the viel of nod.

Or I guess Goblins are magical beings who reproduce to create more materials then there once was. Of course this assumes Goblins are Leprocauns.

Sorry I know I shouldn't be saying it. Toady made it clear that he didn't like the fact that people are calling it a cop out.

Not needing food really worked better when they had some extra help. Back then there was a reason.

What about [MENTAL_DISEASE_FROM_EATING_OWN_SPECIES_IN_SLOP_FOOD] on cows?

It is a common trait in many animals. Humans for example can get similar diseases eating human flesh with what I like to call Prion Disease.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:16:35 am by Neonivek »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

Beings born from incarnate fear and they eat the nightmares of children from beyond the viel of nod.... YES!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:31:55 am »

Personally, I like to think that the goblins DO eat real food, the game just doesn't bother with it.
In the same way I assume dogs eat and dwarves have to go to the toilet.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:02 am »

I have a very simple way to make goblins scary and still have them 'farm'

I actually intend to one day mod this as a feature for a race of my own one day.

They farm sentient beings, eat them, etc.

Make all the captured 'children' into livestock, force them into eating some horrible sludge and then have them be eaten.

Also maybe they just send their younglings out into the wilds to lure in bogey men and then ambush the swarms that get drawn in.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 06:27:40 am »

All I know is, whenever I embark, there's about three hundred different varieties of blood to choose from, and not a single boudin or coq au vin reaction to be found, so somebody must be doing something...
For they would be your masters.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:30:01 am »

Actually, I see them being on the Golden Horde/Dothraki diet: They drink the milk and blood of their mounts, as well as the occasional bit of mystery jerky.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Mmmm, Jabberer milk.... *droolgargle*
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."
Pages: [1] 2 3