Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: IMF head arrested in NYC  (Read 4846 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: IMF head arrested in NYC
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:58 am »

It was a hypothetical...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 10:14:47 am »

The level of nonyieldingness here rather surprises me.  Let me tie this into another hypothetical.  Suppose you can travel back in time and kill Hitler thus preventing the war and genocide?  Would you be willing to punish a man for sins he hadn't yet committed?  It's basically the same question I just proposed but here you are being punitive instead of lenient in order to prevent greater suffering.
I don't see what you're getting at? If there's even a clear chance that someone's going to commit genocide I'd say it's better to be safe then sorry and put a bullet in his head lest you do nothing and then find out he does go on a murderous rampage. If it's certain that he's going to commit genocide, then it'd be immoral not to kill him.
Except there may be another that would take his place.  You are putting all blame on 1 person. 
He could not have done all he did alone.  He could not have been the only one that carried idea.  Someone else could have been the one that sparked that idea in him and others, he was just the one that stepped up first/'made the most sense'.

This was after WWI, when the Germans were non-too happy about the state of affairs placed upon them after their defeat.  What makes you think this 1 person is the catalyst that sparked the Death Camps?
I don't see that as a valid argument to sit around and do nothing knowing your inaction killed millions. It may not have stopped it, but there is a chance that it does.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 10:27:55 am »

I don't see that as a valid argument to sit around and do nothing knowing your inaction killed millions. It may not have stopped it, but there is a chance that it does.

Yeah, or, unopposed, Stalin could have taken control of Europe, then attack the US and bent the world under his Iron fist. Which would have deeply troubled the aliens that are observing us, leading them to conclude that we're an inferior species.
They would have then abandoned us to the lizard-folk who were trying since the extinction of the dinosaurs to avenge their saurian ancestors.  Is THIS what you'd want.

More seriously it's all bullshit. If you're willing to kill an innocent for the crimes he may or may not commit, then you have a problem. And Vector's plan is just as efficient without killing him.

Fakeedit : the point of the first paragraph is that trying to predict the effect of the death of Hitler over the 21st century's history is an exercise in futility.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:31:19 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 10:42:52 am »

I want Greece to go down because every Greek I've met on the internet (all 3 of them) has been an insufferable prick who couldn't stop talking about Alexander the Great and the inevitable reconquest of Constantinople. Plus, not letting FYROM call itself just Macedonia is a dick move.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:44:38 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:04 am »

When you admit that you are acting more or less blindly, the premise that inaction is immoral falls down.
With which I mean that while I agree that inaction does not render you guiltless, and that it's better to, for instance, sacrifice one of two cojoined twins rather than letting both die, in the Hitler example at this point you're pretty much embarking in a "change time" adventure that might or might not make things better or worse, and thus utilitarian mores don't apply either.

Besides, even assuming certainity, people here are trying to make the point that killing Hitler as a kid would be moral because otherwise you are letting millions die. I agree with you in this, but that wouldn't make killing Hitler any less unjust. Hitler's future deeds don't play any role in this hypothetical scenario, as you are arguing it. If you had to kill, say, Groucho Marx instead of Hitler, it'd remain the same.

I want Greece to go down because every Greek I've met on the internet (all 3 of them) has been an insufferable prick who couldn't stop talking about Alexander the Great and the inevitable reconquest of Constantinople. Plus, not letting FYROM call itself just Macedonia is a dick move.
Greek ultranationalists go into epileptic fits when you remind them that he wasn't Greek, but a Macedonian barbarian. Try it, it's fun.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:04 am »

Arguing that you would go back in time to put a bullet in someone's head to prevent X is just self-gratification and the 'easy' way.  There are more effective means, considering the fact that you can go back in time.

Consequences be damned... when you become the morale time police.

Having the means to, would you go back further in time to prevent such atrocities as these with a bullet to the head?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »

I've seen some shady stuff happen recently.

Let me just say:

I would not be surprised at all if this was a frame job to remove someone inconvenient.

Nor would I be surprised if he is a misogynist on a power trip used to getting away with anything and getting his kicks from abusing women.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »

I've seen some shady stuff happen recently.

Let me just say:

I would not be surprised at all if this was a frame job to remove someone inconvenient.

Nor would I be surprised if he is a misogynist on a power trip used to getting away with anything and getting his kicks from abusing women.

Yeah there's a good chance that he just stepped on someone's toes.  The timing is too perfect.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 05:57:15 pm »

They're all Freemasons.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

They're all Freemasons.

Freemasons are mostly harmless but it's the Shriners you've gotta look out for.  It's the hats.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:49 pm »

Aliens who have kidnapped and replaced the Illuminati who themselves were pretending to be Freemasons, whilst unbeknown to them they are amnesiac super soldiers in the Cuban army. Boom.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »

I was in Cuba once. Nice place, had lots of fun in El Chevere in Havana.  No supersoldiers that I could see, though. Maybe they were undercover.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 02:26:49 am »

I shoot Hitler in the back of the head in a heartbeat. But it wouldn't be a moral thing to do. However, it'd be a case of the possible good (preventing, lessening the severity of, depending on the time frame in question)  outweighing the evil (someone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of death being killed, myself being a murderer).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11:16 am »

I shoot Hitler in the back of the head in a heartbeat. But it wouldn't be a moral thing to do. However, it'd be a case of the possible good (preventing, lessening the severity of, depending on the time frame in question)  outweighing the evil (someone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of death being killed, myself being a murderer).
You could worsen it : while convincing, Hitler was too lunatic to be a good strategist. Given that it would change nothing to he socio-economical context of the time, you could end up with a more competent nazi leader. Or a communist revolution in Germany, backed by Stalin. Or Kane using Stalin to establish the superiority of nod. You nostalgia you loose btw.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:26:58 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 04:31:35 am »

Or Kane using Stalin to establish he superiority of nod.
One Vision, One Purpose!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7