Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing prepared food  (Read 3097 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storing prepared food
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:43:47 am »

I've been making roasts to sell to caravans for a while and I've come across something annoying. Only the roasts that aren't stored in barrels show up when I search for them in the bring goods to stockpile menu, the rest show up in "prepared food barrel". The other obnoxious thing is that the prepared food barrels that are PACKED with roasts and should be worth like...10,000 dwarfbucks a piece show up as being worht about 300 whereas the roasts that aren't stored show up worth what you''d expect. These are almost all masterpiece roasts or close to it so its not a difference in quality.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Storing prepared food
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:47:09 am »

Try not storing roasts in barrels.  I create stockpiles that only permit prepared food and set maximum barrels to zero on those, and disallow prepared meals in all other food stockpiles.  This makes it simpler to search for just roasts for trading.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:52:35 am »

Too much barrels  :o

Most of my barrels (now it's more large pots) tend to be filled with drinks, plants, meat. Etc. Or tallow. There's always loads of tallow.

Or convert your whole food stores in roasts. Not only it trains your cooks, it also gives you more wealth and makes your dwarves happier when they eat high quality roasts.

Be sure to keep enough seeds though, this is easily done by producing large stocks of drinks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »

I believe if you search for "prepared" it will show "prepared meal barrel", assuming that the food isn't mixed.  A kitten tallow roast[4] in a barrel along with plump helmet[6] will show up as "mixed food barrel" or something and be impossible to track down.  I never mix food.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:50 pm »

In my very early forts, I of course just have crafts all in the same stockpiles (sometimes in an "everything" stockpile that I use to get all initial embark goods off the wagon, and then later use to gauge whether I've forgotten to make enough specific stockpiles[1]) and all kinds of different ones in the same bins (if I have bins at that stage), but I'm not fussy.

Later on, I set up a nice set of stockpiles each dedicated solely to one each of the crafts, large gems, whatever else I'm currently producing or going to trade for, and remove them from the allowable items in the 'all stuff' stockpile.  The bins don't say "amulet bin" (although I think I'd love to suggest that it do, as long as it's just amulets...) so if I want to trade amulets, I can search for "amulets", and I often have enough loose stuff (or already at the depot) to make that worthwhile, albeit it's a one-item-at-the-time inefficiency, but I can search for "bin", examine each contents and choose those...  A little micro-managey, but this is DF... :)

So, the same with barrels.

Also, w.r.t the value issue, when you examine the barrel and see the contents, the value displayed above that just refer to the barrel.  Dive further into the object-examination process and you can (one content at a time) find the values of the meals.

You get the same effect by viewing bins (yours or theirs) in the Trading screen.

[1] I keep meaning to use the features I know exist within DFHack (but as yet never used) to make a Stockpile Manager, a.k.a. "Things Therapist"...  Probably just in read-only mode, but it could tell me if I've got redundant or uninclusive sets of stockpile acceptance set up.