Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A third 'mode'?  (Read 1608 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A third 'mode'?
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:48 am »

(I don't really want this to be a 'suggestion', which is why I'm putting this in DFGD.  Although admittedly the text has grown a bit in-between the original idea to post and the point at which I'm inserting this caveat.  Given I think Toady already knows where he wants it to head, I'm really just riffing on the theme of the various musings I've personally had.  Not intending to plagiarise anybody, but I suspect I reflect at least some previously mentioned ideas, probably even one's I've never even seen, in amongst it all.  Also, there is no real TL;DR; summary, for which I apologise.  I'll leave it up to you as to whether you even start to read this monstrosity of a post, to which I've decided to add headings (now re-done as spoilers, as per suggestion... Yeah, probably better that way), and respondents should probably consider appling a lot of editing to the [quoted] text!)

Spoiler: Preface (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Crux of the Matter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -A Working Expedition (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -A Trading Expedition (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -A Raiding Expedition (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Don't Be Away Too Long (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: That Synching Feeling (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: And So... (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:16:27 am by Starver »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: A third 'mode'?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:05:58 am »

Oh, a long one. 

Normally, "Kingdom Mode" is the proposed "third mode" (not counting Legends), so not entirely I was expecting, but sort of close.

Anyway, you might want to spoiler this up into sections to make it easier to find certain parts.  That generally helps people with the long threads.  Good organization of data helps make long posts more readable.

EDIT: Oh, and here was my own thread on the subject, if you are interested in looking it up.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:08:02 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

Oh, a long one.
Packed full.  I did insert a warning to that effect.  (And that was before finishing it.)  But, as per suggestion, now spoilered.

I can never keep up with half of everything posted, and definitely missed the thread you mention.  (Never even seen "Kingdom Mode" mentioned, more fool me.)  Reading it now.  Well, right now I'm typing, BYKWIM.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:53:50 pm »

Well, nobody's going to blame you for not reading everything :P

Anyway, the most basic distillation of the idea was just to alter the way that the game handles saves, so that you have multiple saves for multiple points-of-view, and have to synchronize all your saves within a year, and have inter-embark actions all take a year to complete, making a year a "turn" in Kingdom mode.

(It would also allow for an expansion of Community Fortresses to allow multiple embarks to take place "simultaneously" for community multiplayer, so that one player can run a fortress, another can run some logging camp or the like, and another might run a goblin tower or something that opposes the other players.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »

Hey, the Bromance of the Dwarven Kingdoms thread was fairly short.

I swear, you screw one goat around here...

Of course, I think I should go back and do a little expansion on some of the elements of that thread, after I'm done reworking Class Warfare, after I'm done writing Resource Management, after I'm done writing Alchemical Properties.  And those two artworks I have sitting in request limbo.  Plus there's that community fortress I have to manage.

*sigh* When did posting on this forum become more work than the things I'm actually supposed to be working on?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:46:35 pm »

*sigh* When did posting on this forum become more work than the things I'm actually supposed to be working on?

I wonder about that.  I'm still trying to get a sample of Saguaro wood so that I can measure its material properties directly.  The cactus is legally protected, so it's a pain to obtain the stuff.  Naturally, I blame the elves for this.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:15 am »

I quite like the idea. I think some thought about it some time back, about playing the trek to the fortress place. It could be a first, "simple" version of this since there is no fortress to have sync problems with.

I always thought about it as a succession of embarks in the wild, but you do raise the point that the members of the expedition can have to deal with the locals. Trading of course, but also working for them - I guess we'll have to see how adventurer work is implemented.

I think it'd be nice to focus on a few dwarves again. Travelling on the adventurer map only with a few ones, checking the food level at times, filling the waterskins when you cross a river, discovering a night creature's lair on the way and having to choose : attack it now during day time or hope the expedition can make it far away before dusk.
It would be an occasion to see dwarves' everyday life on a more normal scale than the whole "work for 45 days, drink during 7 and sleep 15 more".

This "trek mode" should probably be a little more hardcore than the fortress mode : you can't grow crops, wait for someone to heal a wound, nor can you take much more than you can bear.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:28 am »

While I think this idea is good, I think a dwarven dating sim would be a much better use of Toady's precious coding time.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:58 am »

This one at least has the advantage of having most of its features already implemented or impending. I fear we must wait until the poetry generator for dwarven dating sim to be possible.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:51 pm »

While I think this idea is good, I think a dwarven dating sim would be a much better use of Toady's precious coding time.

......... what?.....

*goes for brain bleach*
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Oh god no.

You mean like the ones on Newgrounds?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

That would have to wait until after the personality rewrite, of course. It could certainly be done but it might be a bit unfulfilling. The possibility for romance and marriage is nice though. I'd rather Toady take more inspiration from Mount and Blade than from the generic anime thing. Although being able to have multiple wives in different cities as per Fable would also be nice.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:34 pm »

But contrary to Fable, having them able to actually DO ANYTHING or have any sort of point would come natural to Toady. Everything has a point, even if it doesn't in Dwarf Fortress. Or does that not make sense?

Anyhow, I've always wanted to conduct raids on external sites for minerals, items, or revenge on the goblins, and didn't want to have to abandon the fortress and start an adventurer to do it. So that's perhaps maybe what you're getting at, which I doubt would be a terribly bad idea, but it's sort of taking control, risk, and the sense of accomplishment of pouring work into this site, away from the player, and giving them rewards for it.

And why would Toady want to give us rewards
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured