Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watery problem  (Read 1629 times)

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
Watery problem
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:34:35 am »

hey everyone, i have a slight problem to do with water.  It all started with a forgotten beast attack (it always does).  This was my fourth forgotten beast, the first got killed by a recruit with a copper sword, the second by my best axeman,and the third by my marksdwarves, no losses in any, so i was feeling pretty confident.  This new forgotten beast was made of vomit, which i'd heard was very easy to kill, so i sent in my markdwarves.  This forgotten beast was lurking at the bottom of a giant lake, so i stationed my markdwarves at the shore, and waited. Eventually, it came towards them, and they started firing.  They must of fired 30 bolts at it, and still it survived.  It reached the shore, pulled in my second best markdwarf, and kicked his head in, dead instantly.  Pulled another one in, they fought for a bit, then the forgotten beast left him and climbed up on shore after my retreating markdwarves.  By this time i had already called in the rest of my military, who were on their way, so i told my marksdwarves to stand and fight.  The vomit beast walked up to a marksdwarf, kicked his head in, leaving him paralyzed and unable to breathe.  I then retreated (again) up to where my soldiers were on their way.  The soldiers finally arrvied, and the axedwarf who had killed the other forgotten beast stept forward, and got his head kicked in...  Then another soldier joined the fray, and promtly fell off the cliff  ::)   Then the rest of my soldiers surrounded it, which was preceded by 15 pages of combat logs before the beast finally died.   
Backstory over, my problem is the two that fell in the water.  They had full adamantine gear, and one had a named steel crossbow, which i want back, but i dont know how to get it.  do any of you know how to get them out of the water?     And another thing, that surviving dwarf in the water drowned, even though there was a ramp right next to him, how do you tell them to get out, so i know in the future?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:36:08 am by draco1234 »

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watery problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:52:21 am »

far as I know they get out if they can get out, so your guy was either too injured to move, stunned, or just too crap at swimming to climb out.

Getting your stuff back is going to be kind of tricky. I assume you would need to pump the lake out or drain it some other way. Perhaps you could get some magma up there with a pump stack and cast an obsidian caisson around the part with the gear and bodies in it?
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:39:48 am »

Probably stunned.

Getting it out is best done by Obsidian Caisson, and then digging out a place for the water to run off too. It'll dry out and you can retrieve the gear.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:15:27 am »

This is why you always train swimming on anyone wearing blue.  Position them somewhere either via barracks or via direct order, lock them in, and then release water above them.  Try to measure it so that the room fills with 4-7/7 water, as this is swimming depth, without actually getting to full 7/7.  In general, if you have 4 reservoir tiles for every 7 training tiles, then this will cause the training area to fill up to 4/7, maybe a bit less if you happen to get a little evaporation during spread.  Assign them food and drink (backpack and waterskin) and then station them in the swimming chamber until they start passing out.  Repeat as needed for full training.

If full waterworks with pumps and all isn't possible for you, you can build a room on the surface, then a room above this with a hatch.  On the upper room, assign several pond designations, I have a macro that makes 5 pond zones at a time, saves a lot of hassle.  Ponds fill up to 6/7 via bucket brigade, so you can easily fill up this cistern with just some spare time and idle dwarves, and then empty it into the lower zone to floor your soldiers.  Or anyone else, I like to train my hunters and woodcutters with some swimming as well.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:49:27 am »

If you are not opposed to a tiny bit of cheating, you can use the new 'autodump' tool in dfhack to magically transport the stuff out of the water...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:02 am »

Or you just want to position your dwarves away from the water when fighting.

Most forgotten beasts are pushovers anyway for a decent military. Excepted when you have one made of metal, or something with deadly dust. The latter is especially FUN for your dwarves.

For getting your stuff out of water, I suggest cave-in a ring shaped piece of rock around the corpse, then build pumps on it and drain away.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:57:48 am by Naryar »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:12 am »

Most forgotten beasts are pushovers anyway for a decent military. Excepted when you have one made of metal, or something with deadly dust. The latter is especially FUN for your dwarves.

I am pretty sure the OP already learned this lesson, and that is not what he was asking for help about... his conundrum is that he wants the gear from his dead dwarves back, and it is underwater at the moment.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:58:24 am »

I am pretty sure the OP already learned this lesson, and that is not what he was asking for help about... his conundrum is that he wants the gear from his dead dwarves back, and it is underwater at the moment.

That's why I just edited my post to be a bit more constructive.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:59:28 am »

That's why I just edited my post to be a bit more constructive.

XD