Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Llama can't be shorn  (Read 2323 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Llama can't be shorn
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:26 am »

So I've decided to check out this whole wool/shearing thing
I've got an alpaca and a llama on the same pasture. I checked both and both were described as currently have long wool. So I set the guy to shear and left him to it. I came back to only find 1 pile of alpaca fur. I checked, and the alpaca's description about the wool is gone, but the llama's is still there.

There is nothing blocking the guy. There are no obstacles. No burrow issues, etc.
I've tried to add it again but it's immediately cancelled because there is no available creature...

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Llama can't be shorn
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:31:56 am »

You can shear an animal one time every 6 months (or is it once every year?)

Quite obviously, the llama and the alpaca were already shorn once in this time interval.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:34:56 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

You can shear an animal one time every 6 months (or is it once every year?)

Quite obviously, the llama and the alpaca were already shorn once in this time interval.

They've never been shorn before. This is my first time trying it. I acquired the llama as a baby, and it grew to an adult in the pasture, I just finally got around to attempting to shear him now.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:59:50 am »

Right. Are we talking about a baby llama here?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:04 am »

and it grew to an adult
Reading fail?

Sadly I cant contribute anything, as I have not tried shearing.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:07:54 am »

No, he was a baby when I got him. He's an adult now. The only difference between the alpaca and the llama is that I acquired the alpaca as an adult, the llama as a baby, but he's now just a stray llama.
according to his description his "cream wool is extremely long"

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:20 am »

When did he grow into an adult? Very recently? How long did you have him roam around as a baby?

The "very long wool" description appears faster than the shearability is achieved, due to the limit of "only 1 shearing per (half a?) year is allowed" mechanism, normally. But I could imagine that if you only had him in his childhood stage for a very short time, and he arrived with very short hair, that he may just not be ready to be sheared.

Animals born in your fortress are usually ready to be sheared as soon as they're out of the childhood stage. This may become wonky if you buy them as babies from the caravans. (Or get them as babies with migrant waves.)

I would give him another couple of months and then do it again.

I have never had llamas in my fortresses, so I don't know anything about their specific issues. My dwarves only shear alpacas, cats and grizzly bears.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:24:54 am by Lytha »

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:22:57 am »

Check your refuse stockpile. Wool goes there for me. Maybe it's like the "cancels butcher animal" job when they stop cutting up animal bits when it's on repeat because it goes rotten or something.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:45:54 am »

Shearing Llamas has been a staple at two of my forts and I'm fairly sure you don't have to wait a whole 2 seasons to re-shear them. But that may just have been some of my Llamas being available at any one time.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 09:57:19 am »

Yes, you have to wait quite a while. The alpaca and the cat were my only source for anything to make bags from for a while, and I was quite desperate to shear them again. It must have been two seasons at the least until they had regrown their wool.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:08 am »

Is it a pet of someone's? I doubt it, but just checking. I have problems getting pets sheared. :/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.