Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Watertowers  (Read 599 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
On Watertowers
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:06:02 am »

So I recently noticed that all my dwarves are upset at the lack of a well.  I could, easily, place a well over the nearby river.  Instead, I found myself building a watertower.  But not just a watertower.  It begins as a few stilts on the ground, and then a ring.  This ring then has several support shafts that go up, holding up a sphere the same diameter as the ring.  The interior is hollow and shall contain a lot of water, as the diameter is 21 tiles (19 interior, due to walls) and is designed to empty itself via one or more hatches at the bottom.  I'm downloading Overseer now, to get a good idea of how annoyingly massive this is.  It's also very unfinished, and construction of a sphere is turning out to be quite the hassle.  Nevertheless, my ego demand it be done!

What sort of absurd waterworks have you put into place?  Or magmaworks.  Liquid-related megaprojects count as well.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: On Watertowers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:08:18 am »

I have this idea in mind to build a giant pit next to a river (like, a really huge pit), build skyscrapers inside, and flood it in order to make it into the Sunken City of Wharrgarbl. (recycled once again). The idea is to make all access to the fortress (or most access to the fortress anyway-there should be a way to drain the water) through a pressure hatch
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:41:51 am »

I've been working on a giant cistern placed above my fortress. In the event of serious Fun, I shall collapse it, and hopefully drown/push away everything on the gorram map.

I've never used pumps before, and I've already had about 5 deaths in the construction process alone. This oughta be good.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:13:43 am »

I've been working on a giant cistern placed above my fortress. In the event of serious Fun, I shall collapse it, and hopefully drown/push away everything on the gorram map.

I've never used pumps before, and I've already had about 5 deaths in the construction process alone. This oughta be good.

what deaths how? I don't think I've ever had a construction death related to pumps.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:18 am »

Oh, no, not from pumps. I failed at removing some floors I'd already set up.

A section of the cavern collapsed, and somehow took close to ten dwarves with it.

Must be more careful.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:57:27 am »

I once built a giant water-pump tower connected to a great map-spanning aqueduct linked to a massive cistern carved out of the side of the mountain, flanked by statues of the founders and the founding of my city, that both served as a water source for my mountain peak tower metropolis and as the habitat for the inhabitants of a (modded) river mermaid farm under my city.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod