Poll

Whhic do you prefer?

DF
- 112 (92.6%)
Sim City
- 9 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sim City VS Dwarf Fortress  (Read 7162 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City VS Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 10:21:23 am »

In Sim City, you build roads, streets, houses and schools.
You fret over whether your Sims get power, adequate employment, fire-safe dwellings and police protection.

In Dwarf Fortress, you build stills, spike traps, magma forges, goblin-launchers, danger rooms, caravan-drowning-traps, mushroom farms and giant sacrificial temples made of soap.
You give your dwarves booze and an engraved cabinet in their room, send new mothers into battle, and provide enough roasted giant scaly finch intestines for all.

...Is there really any contest?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24:49 am »

I'd compare DF more to the City Builder series from Sierra, such as Pharaoh and Caesar, myself.  Those have combat as part of their games, and are much more based upon simple logistics and disaster management than Sim City, which is more based upon urban planning.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:00 am »

DF vs. Katamari Damacy

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 02:38:20 pm »

I'd kill for a new, actual Sim City game.  The last one released, SimCity Societies, wasn't even made by Maxis, and certainly wasn't a real Sim City.
Based on how Spore turned out, I doubt one made by Maxis would be any better.

I'd compare DF more to the City Builder series from Sierra, such as Pharaoh and Caesar, myself.  Those have combat as part of their games, and are much more based upon simple logistics and disaster management than Sim City, which is more based upon urban planning.
Yeah, those games were awesome. And the menus were a work of genius. I'd love to see DF have things as intuitive in that. Especially as far as commerce goes, since that's what's coming up soon, but all of it is good.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »

DF is free. No contest.
As is Progress Quest. What's your point?

I'd still choose Rollercoaster Tycoon over Dwarf Fortress for a strategy game anyway...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »

I'd kill for a new, actual Sim City game.  The last one released, SimCity Societies, wasn't even made by Maxis, and certainly wasn't a real Sim City.
Hmmm the creator said that he want to make the games less complicated so more newcomers can play it  :'(  so I'd recommend Cites XL 2011  8)
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:29 pm »

What about MineCraft vs SimCity? Anyone interested in that discussion?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 04:30:17 pm »

guys you need to compare Sim ant with Dwarf fortress. shoot with some rocks one could just build a water cannon and flood the world backyard!
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:18 pm »

It depends on what you want. If, for example, I wanted to quickly plop down some zones and see near instant results, I would play Simcity. Simcity has stuff that Dwarf Fortress doesn't have (because Toady probably doesn't care about them) like plane crashes (What's Toady going to do? Topple your fortress every time a dragon bonks it's head?) If you think about it, both games are, essentially, the same, but Simcity focuses more on the aspect of finances, while Dwarf Fortress seems to focus more on building good defenses, while maintaining a stable economy. I guess you could say that DF is a combination of Simcity and The Sims, but with a few features "missing" (You can't have it all!!!). All in all, it's up to the player to decide what a good game is.

P.S.- I personally like both games for different reasons.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 06:17:06 pm »

Wow, that's quite a necro.

Anyway, I too like Sim City and DF for different reasons.  I would like to see some Sim City features ported to DF though.  Sim City has fire stations and a police department that doesn't punch criminal heads in.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:15 am »

Sim City when I want things built how I want it and when I want it in a timely fashion.

DF when I want things built in a lengthy process that definitely involves booze, possibly injuries, a little esoteric dance between all objectives which makes me question if there's any sort of logic to this at all, general faffing about, disabling hauling jobs to get them to the objective quicker just to have them get thirsty or fall asleep, and then having a siege when I'm figuring out how to make someone do something that I absolutely MUST have done RTFNOW.

I find both to be rather enjoyable experiences.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 12:27:30 am »

To my knowledge, a new Sim City is actually being worked on. We'll see how it turns out, but I've at least heard good things about the system they're using.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 02:17:53 am »

Yep. It's obviously too early to know for sure, but I'm excited as hell.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:26 am »

Hi!

I like both the real Sim Cities (yes, Societies was a major disappointment for me as well) and Dwarf Fortress for the same reason: you build something that is not completely under your control and you can enjoy seeing how it actually develops. Given my interest in the unpredictable and the nice details, Dwarf Fortress easily wins out against any Sim City released thus far as the uncontrollable details starting from the things the dwarves do over the details of decorations up to the personal relationships and feelings of the dwarves let Sim City's elements of the unknown pale in comparison.

Yours,
Deathworks
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:37 am »

Then you're in luck.

As for the discussion at hand, I think DF is better. Not only do you build a city, you actually manage the jobs and lives of the people in that city. Even in SimCity 4, which had a sort of cross between SimCity and The Sims where you could OBSERVE your Sims daily lives, you still could not influence them directly outside of moving police and fire vehicles around during an emergency. Really, SimCity just kinda gives you tools to work on building something that looks nice, as well as playing an economic balancing game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3