Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chitin, scales, feathers: are they any good?  (Read 3913 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chitin, scales, feathers: are they any good?
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:32:10 pm »

I've been trying to use these skins, but they won't be tanned or made into leather goods. Are they really useless, or am I missing something? The wiki is remarkably ambiguous on the subject of non-leather skins.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Chitin, scales, feathers: are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »

They, along with nervous tissue and hair, are useless - unless you mod in some very easy reactions for chitin armor and feather decorations?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:42:10 pm »

I haven't modded reactions for a good, long while. Will these reactions make goods with proper quality levels?

By the way, hair can be spun into thread at a farmer workshop. Such thread cannot be woven into cloth (though it can be dyed, for some reason), making it perfect for hospitals.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »

Really?  That's interesting...  Previously hair has been waste material.  Either way, they should use proper quality levels, this was reported fixed in .21 or so.  I haven't tested it, but modding forumites claim it to be so.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

Alright, thanks.Doubt it's worth the hassle, given I have about 5 pieces of chitin.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:40 pm »

By the way, hair can be spun into thread at a farmer workshop. Such thread cannot be woven into cloth (though it can be dyed, for some reason), making it perfect for hospitals.
So you can fix your wounds by sewing them shut with the hair of your slain enemies? That is Dorf.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »

So you can fix your wounds by sewing them shut with the hair of your slain enemies? That is Dorf.
"I AM THE AXELORD! I WILL SLAY YOU AND USE YOUR HAIR TO SUTURE MY CUTS!

RRAAAAAAAGGGHHH

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:30:02 pm »

I told my friend "you can sew your wounds shut using the hair of fallen enemies."
She asked, "Yes, but how do you weaponize it?"
I responded, "There is nothing more weaponized than a healthy dwarf."

She's getting there, she's almost a proper dwarf...

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »

Lofn's Tanning Mod has reactions to make scales, chitin and feathers usable as leather substitutes, as well as giving some animals fur instead of leather. It does take a little work to mod every creature that needs modding, but I never play without it. Mainly becausse in my version of the game we get seasonal swarms of 100+ giant antswandering around the countryside in most parts of the world, and when you send out your living buzzsaws (a.k.a. Adamantine-suited axedwarves) there's a lot of bug bits to butcher and a lot of chitin you'd otherwise have to dump.
くコ:彡

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

Chitin armor and stuff like that would be cool. Makes me think of my crab shell bow in FFXIV :P

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »

....I thought the current version has chitin tannable already? The only thing the wiki says is scales can't be tanned, and tthat tanning chitin yields treated chitin
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

Make scales craftable into scalemail,
then make armour from dragon scales.
Then you win.