Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Selective Smiting Sock  (Read 4208 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Selective Smiting Sock
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:20 pm »

So I had an idea.
Yeah, that alone should worry you.

Place a sock.  A very nice sock.  A sock adorned with menacing spikes and hanging rings of everything.  Place this sock in its own location, sequestered away from the fort.  Preferably, on the other side of a narrow bridge.  Build an altar even, gold pillars and statues (of socks).

Then lay the traps.
Place a pressure plate on the bridge, and hatched to either side of it, so that when a dwarf runs in, they step on the plate, trapping them on a 1x1 piece of stone.  At the same time, this opens a hatch above them, spilling water out that washes them off the bridge and down to a deep pit filled with upright spikes and carp, and swimming giant badgers.

Allow this to continue for as long as you see fit.  The survivors will be naturally hardened against trauma, as all of their loved ones will have died by the sock, and they will be the few dwarves who don't claim every scrap of clothing they can.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selective Smiting Sock
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:04:33 pm »

Isn't there a few dwarf-steps' worth of delay between a plate's activation and a hatch opening? If this is the case, an entire retracting bridge would work better.

But; this is awesome. This could be an amazing competition in the fortress. Probably the most useful thing to do with "super socks" I've seen. This could also be used to keep goblins and other thieving creatures without trap-avoid out of your relics and masterpieces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:06:03 pm »

Hatches are instant, bridges and doors and such are on a delay.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:06:55 pm »

And the survivor will be... lucky one who has lost his both legs so that he doesn't need socks!  8)

I just have this mental image of group of nobles arguing with each other about who should get that glorious sock! Who cares about kingship or heritage or other ordinary stuff when there is that sock around.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »

I'm afraid the Great Sock will not be that selective. As soon as first sock owner (or better say, slave) dies, the Sock will enslave another one and drag him to his badgery death. Then another. And one more. And more. And more. It will take some time for lazy and poorly disciplined ones to die, but eventually sock will have them all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »

This is exactly the point.  The sock calls, and selects who will be smote next.

"Oh Urist, just look at our beautiful baby boy!  He's already trying to swing your axe!"
"I know hun, in just a few years, he'll- wait, do you here that?  Hold on a second, there's...  It calls...  Sock..."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

I'm afraid the Great Sock will not be that selective. As soon as first sock owner (or better say, slave) dies, the Sock will enslave another one and drag him to his badgery death. Then another. And one more. And more. And more. It will take some time for lazy and poorly disciplined ones to die, but eventually sock will have them all.

One Sock to rule them all.
One Sock to find them.
One Sock to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:19:36 pm »

Yeah, my dwarves also tend to be obsessed with socks. AKA - civilians get out during a siege when some gobbo dropped troll fur socks and get slaughtered.

MUST. HAVE. SOCK.

Urist McIrrationalSockLover has been shot and killed

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

One Sock to rule them all.
One Sock to find them.
One Sock to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them.

This is a masterfull pig tail fiber sock by an unknown artisan. It is adorned with hanging rings of pig tail cloth. On the item there is an image of a dwarf and a sock in pig tail cloth. The dwarf is impaled on spikes. The sock is striking a triumphant pose. It is made from superior quality pig tail cloth. This object is midnight blue, exceptionally coloured with dimple dye.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:30:10 pm »

You may have the ultimate fortress killer there. A long, but insidious and systematic fortress killer.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »

You may have the ultimate fortress killer there. A long, but insidious and systematic fortress killer.

Imagine some kind of "Race against the Sock" challenge, where dawrves are attracting migrants, buffing up happiness and hoarding other, non-lethal clothing to let their fortress last one day with the Sock mercilessly picking them one by one.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 04:38:15 pm »

It would be better to have the trap knock the dwarf off from the platform in such a way that the dwarf falls a great distance onto the meeting zone below. Meaning the dwarf who attempted to reach the sock will explode on the floor in the middle of the meeting zone, splattering dwarf bits on all of the other idle dwarves in the meeting zone.

One after another after another....

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

So I had an idea.
Yeah, that alone should worry you.

Place a sock.  A very nice sock.  A sock adorned with menacing spikes and hanging rings of everything.  Place this sock in its own location, sequestered away from the fort.  Preferably, on the other side of a narrow bridge.  Build an altar even, gold pillars and statues (of socks).

Then lay the traps.
Place a pressure plate on the bridge, and hatched to either side of it, so that when a dwarf runs in, they step on the plate, trapping them on a 1x1 piece of stone.  At the same time, this opens a hatch above them, spilling water out that washes them off the bridge and down to a deep pit filled with upright spikes and carp, and swimming giant badgers.

Allow this to continue for as long as you see fit.  The survivors will be naturally hardened against trauma, as all of their loved ones will have died by the sock, and they will be the few dwarves who don't claim every scrap of clothing they can.

He who lives by the sock, dies by the sock!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 06:40:43 pm »

If you place the pressure plate before the first bridge, he will most likely get to the second one before it raises/drops, therefore flinging him into the pit regardless.

The plan is flawless.... foolproof.... but... I just... need to take... a look at that sock...
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »

For that matter you could make a row of spikes from the pressure plate, thus ensuring that only your armor plated dwarves survive to claim sock-dome.  I just enjoy water though :P
Pages: [1] 2