Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The [magical invisible mute] King has come!  (Read 1843 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
The [magical invisible mute] King has come!
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:29 am »

Sigh. So, I finally got thing King to arrive in my latest fort- it was hampered by the fact that the Dwarven caravan gave me a miss the year before owing to a siege. I was a tad concerned- the last king I got dropped dead the moment they arrived, being something like 200 odd years old. They magically tuned into a "Peasent" on death, which is kind of embarrassing. Anyways, I got the King Has Arrived message, and three legendary fighters showed up, plus, inexplicably, a lye maker. And that was it. Four dwarves, none of whom were a king. I take it that just means there is no king for my civ. Does that make this a bug, then, or not?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: The [magical invisible mute] King has come!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

Sigh. So, I finally got thing King to arrive in my latest fort- it was hampered by the fact that the Dwarven caravan gave me a miss the year before owing to a siege. I was a tad concerned- the last king I got dropped dead the moment they arrived, being something like 200 odd years old. They magically tuned into a "Peasent" on death, which is kind of embarrassing. Anyways, I got the King Has Arrived message, and three legendary fighters showed up, plus, inexplicably, a lye maker. And that was it. Four dwarves, none of whom were a king. I take it that just means there is no king for my civ. Does that make this a bug, then, or not?
Check your civilization screen. The king might be the lye maker.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:38:33 pm »

This land has no important leaders.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

Most politicians are lie makers.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »

This land has no important leaders.
Yeah, because the king is a lye maker now. Check the legends.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »

No, the dead peasant was the king, who had no skills when he died of old age. DF doesn't track successions so you're screwed.

The Lye Maker just tagged along for the migration wave, but you can still treat him as king if you want.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:16:47 pm »

No, the dead peasant was the king, who had no skills when he died of old age. DF doesn't track successions so you're screwed.

The dead peasant was in a different fort, with (I presume) a different civ.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »

The lye maker was probably the Outpost Liaison - in older versions, the liaison became the Advisor, but the Advisor doesn't exist anymore so it left him without any position at all.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

brendanfox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »

Cacame? Look for a badass elf.
"Prudence demands that you consider suicide."
Your dorven axe looks like one of the short hairy fellows decided "That guillotine would probably hurt if i swung it!"

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »

The dead peasant was in a different fort, with (I presume) a different civ.

Yep, different fort, different world.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:00:28 pm »

I was a tad concerned- the last king I got dropped dead the moment they arrived, being something like 200 odd years old. They magically tuned into a "Peasent" on death, which is kind of embarrassing.

"The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)