Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000 Mod (With Tyranids)  (Read 8613 times)

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warhammer 40,000 Mod (With Tyranids)
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:59 am »

Ok, I have searched around a bit and not seen a decent 40k mod. I am planning on making it such that Imperial Guard are playable, and the primary enemies are Tyranids. Eldar and Squats will likely get added in as things go on.

I do not have anything written up yet, but I will post up the first portion today.
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 Mod (With Tyranids)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:59 am »

Ok I am working on the ranged attack for the termagaunts, but I do not seem to be able to get syndromes to work, or to get something that does anything other than a bit of bruising.

Here is what I am using. What could I do to make a natural ranged attack that does a decent amount of damage? Also, is there a way to make the termagaunts almost never engage in melee?

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
       [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen termagaunt projectile]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen termagaunt projectile]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:termagaunt projectile]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:termagaunt projectile]
       [STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling termagaunt projectile]
       [STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling termagaunt projectile]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9001]
[BOILING_POINT:9000]
       [PREFIX:NONE]
       [SYNDROME]
           [SYN_NAME:termagaunt fire]
           [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
           [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:TERMAGAUNT:ALL]
           [SYN_CONTACT]
           [SYN_INHALED]
           [CE_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:5:PEAK:10:END:2000]
           [CE_BLISTERS:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:5:PEAK:10:END:2000]
           [CE_BLEEDING:SEV:5000:PROB:100:START:5:PEAK:10:END:2000]
           [CE_NECROSIS:LOCALIZED:SEV:5000:PROB:100:START:5:PEAK:10:END:2000]
 [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID_GLOB]
[SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LIQUID:LIQUID:100:100]

Edit: Once I make most of the varied types of tyranids, how difficult will it be to make them into different castes for a tyranid civilization?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:10:45 am by stolide »

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:32 am »

Sounds like a pretty cool mod.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

I suggest you look at the old 40K mod. Hasn't been updated in 3 years, so I guess that's fair game.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »

It really seems like a good idea. I really hope this mod works out well as I actually enjoy 40k :P

Will keep an eye on this one
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »

why squat? they're really old and out of fasion right?
use the mighty powers of chaos instead =)
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

Yeah y leave out Orkz for boring Squats?

Ork castes will be a hoot with all the Mekaniakz etc. I don't know how you'd mod in the Shokk Attakk Gun though

And if you can, alter the Chaos personality traits so they're pissed off all the time and get a lot of fell moods.

I also note you say "Imperial Guard"! That specific term precludes Marines and Terminators, hopefully you just mean "Imperium", or it's very limited.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:27:52 pm by Reelyanoob »

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »

I may leave out squats then, I don't know.

I hit a setback and screwed up the documents that I was keeping it in, so I have to start over, but I know what to do this time. I did get hormagaunts and termagaunts working though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »

I do not seem to be able to get syndromes to work

Most of the effects you've specified are targeted. Without a target bodypart they'll do nothing at all. You probably want to use LOCALIZED:

Code: [Select]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:5:PEAK:10:END:2000]
I'd also argue that you should use SIZE_DILUTES so a single termagant blast can't do ridiculous things like making an entire roc's torso completely rot with a single shot.

What could I do to make a natural ranged attack that does a decent amount of damage?

Make the material denser. It won't ever do much, in any case.

Also, is there a way to make the termagaunts almost never engage in melee?

Not besides turning their breath attacks into actual weapons, and even then they'll only stay out of melee as long as they have ammo.

Remember that termagants typically use fleshborers; a better simulation of the "firing a swarm" effect might be to use TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW (so it sticks) and get rid of the temp stuff. Also, that isn't how injections work. The breath attack isn't an "attack" as such, so SPECIALATTACK tags don't apply to it. The syndrome won't work on contact so the mat needs to either be shot in a gaseous/vapourised state or boil as it flies to do anything.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:30:00 pm »

For projectiles, try using METAL_TEMPLATE instead of CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE. The material will hit a lot harder, so it's great for stronger creatures. Also good for tyranids might be LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE.

Ranged attacks (other than breath attacks) currently can't deliver syndromes. What I've been doing in the meantime to get around this is using an attack much like the Giant Desert Scorpion has, and replacing the scorpion venom with a fun inorganic, or getting clever with syndromes to simulate things like psychic attacks.

I agree with everyone here that Orks would be the most fun to play as. They're the dwarfiest, in my opinion, in that they are sociopathic innovators with a drive to build and conquer. They get all the fun toys (plasma, fire, etc) and are the race you can keep truest to the canon with DF's mechanics.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:08 am »

AAAAAARGH!
The very day I think of it I see this thread. I even went down to the local GW store to see if anything's changed. Perhaps we could collaborate if I ever start mine.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:46:47 am »

Suggested:
Imperium (remember space marines!)
Eldar
Tyranids
Necrons
Orks
Tau

You should probably leave out squats, except that they're WH40k dwarves, so...yeah.
Can't wait to see the end result!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:49:38 pm »

I am just going to start with the Imperium and Tyranids. My work on this will likely be relatively sporadic, but it in doses with much ferocity. I would gladly collaborate on this with anyone. Anyone who would like to help is welcomed. Also, anyone can use anything that I make for this.

I did not work on this today because I was working all day shoveling mulch. I will get the Tyranids going in the next few days most likely.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

You should (eventually) try to have the different marine chapters be different races, but use the same creature def, then they can ally together or fight each other, and with the right tags they can take cities back and forth over the world history. Generally, they'll be friends if their ethics are similar or the same.

This will be cool even if you just work on one race, then replicate it for the other imperium factions.

It'd be much cooler to be at war with the Ultramarines or the Blood Ravens, rather than just imperials

Wodin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 06:18:30 am »

Just recently I've been looking for some WH40K mods on games...been playing the old Chaos Gate and the space hulk mod for Alien Assault (damn hard)....

I hope you pull it off...would really like it if you do a graphic pack for it aswell...anychance of that?
Pages: [1] 2 3