Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gah.. stupid mandates..and other noble thoughts  (Read 879 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Gah.. stupid mandates..and other noble thoughts
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:29:42 am »

I really hope this will be fixed sometime.
I finally decided to go through my stockpiled weapons and trade off a lot of stuff I'd looted that I couldn't use. Inferior, large stuff, etc.
well I got everything traded..and shortly thereafter the Baron decided to declare a prohibition on the exporting of bronze items..
yeah..
I'm expecting a justice implosion in..3..2..1..

on a semi-related note.. how does it figure out the thoughts about sleeping arrangements. I've got my baron with the biggest best awesomest bedroom around, and he is traumatized by a lesser's sleeping arrangements.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:35:20 am by crossmr »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gah.. stupid mandates..
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:45 am »

be sure to fire your CotG

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Re: Gah.. stupid mandates..
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:39:42 am »

How do I fire him? the only option is to replace him and "nobody" isn't a choice

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gah.. stupid mandates..and other noble thoughts
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:53 am »

How do I fire him? the only option is to replace him and "nobody" isn't a choice

"Leave Vacant" in an option iirc

EDIT: also, you can understand that literally

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:48 am »

"Leave Vacant" in an option iirc

EDIT: also, you can understand that literally

I don't think its possible because I've got him in a squad..ah well..what's the worst that can happen?
The noble also just prohibited gauntlet exports.. you know I cleaned out my armor bin too
The bastard might as well just prohibit all exports

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:58 am »

Kick everyone out of the captain's squad, then you'll be able to fire him.

Or you could just set him on fire. That works too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:52:33 am »

Nah, he's a legendary fighter

How soon can I re-enable him and get the squad back together? I think all the merchants have cleared the map

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:55:18 am »

How soon can I re-enable him and get the squad back together? I think all the merchants have cleared the map

Disband his squad and fire him asap.
Then make him regular militia captain and get his guys back to service as army.
never ever appoint any other dwarf as CotG
Or just relax and have fun. With armed fortress guard and legendary fighter CotG it is bound to ensue.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24:08 am »

Is the CotG the one who was (according to you) harvesting the weeds outside of your fortress? Perhaps he'll be too stoned to do anything.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:29 am »

Holy crap, your Captain of the Guard is a Legendary Fighter?  Yeah, you're in for some FUN if he starts doling out the justice.  I usually look for the weakest, most pathetic and useless dwarf I can find with no fighting skills of any kind and make him my CotG.  Then I assigned him a uniform of leather armor and no weapon or shield at all, and I don't assign him a barracks so he never trains.  The idea is that if he does have to dole out some justice, he'll have to do it with his fists only, and hopefully he'll be so weak and terrible at it that he won't cause any serious damage.  I've read posts from other people that assign an adamantine hammer to their CotG because the stuff is so lightweight it basically makes a NERF hammer and doesn't cause any damage.

For the most part, though, I just make sure I have a nicely appointed jail room with plenty of chains.  I've never actually had a dwarf get a beating for failing a mandate, they just get assigned to stay in jail for a while.  I put beds next to each chain in the jail, and make sure to have "Nurse" dwarves with only the "Bring food/water" labor assigned and nothing else so they stay fed in there.  Smooth and engrave the walls and throw in some pretty gold statues and things to counteract their being depressed about being confined.

--nomad_delta

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:45 am »

Holy crap, your Captain of the Guard is a Legendary Fighter?  Yeah, you're in for some FUN if he starts doling out the justice.  I usually look for the weakest, most pathetic and useless dwarf I can find with no fighting skills of any kind and make him my CotG.  Then I assigned him a uniform of leather armor and no weapon or shield at all, and I don't assign him a barracks so he never trains.  The idea is that if he does have to dole out some justice, he'll have to do it with his fists only, and hopefully he'll be so weak and terrible at it that he won't cause any serious damage.  I've read posts from other people that assign an adamantine hammer to their CotG because the stuff is so lightweight it basically makes a NERF hammer and doesn't cause any damage.

For the most part, though, I just make sure I have a nicely appointed jail room with plenty of chains.  I've never actually had a dwarf get a beating for failing a mandate, they just get assigned to stay in jail for a while.  I put beds next to each chain in the jail, and make sure to have "Nurse" dwarves with only the "Bring food/water" labor assigned and nothing else so they stay fed in there.  Smooth and engrave the walls and throw in some pretty gold statues and things to counteract their being depressed about being confined.

--nomad_delta

Actually you can turn you fortress guard into fearsome combat power while still leaving them mild and forgiving as executioners.
 I usually get them equip wooden or adamantine crossbows for that purpose. Enemies get silver bolts and civilian criminals are just slapped a bit.