Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: CANNOT be impoved by magma?  (Read 9014 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: CANNOT be impoved by magma?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:49:37 am »

How the...

Anyways, ALL OF THESE CAN BE IMPROVED WITH MAGMA.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 10:07:39 am »

Farming cannot be improved by magma.

Irrigating by magma may be badass, it's also completely useless and all that it gives you is no more mud, and if you do it wrong one or more !!Legendary Planter!!s.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

Embark on a volcano glacier. Run magma under the lowest level of ice. Use the resulting melting to produce mud to produce farms.

A fortress in a perpetually-freezing biome made out of naturally-frozen ice, NOT constructed ice wall
Any fort surrounded with a magma moat is automatically more dwarven.

some creature, FB or other, made of fire.
Make it swim through a tunnel of magma, then combine with water to encase it

Fort flooding with magma
Combine obsidian with water. Obsidian (cooled magma) can make doors (and other stuff) that are magma-proof.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:16 am »

Embark on a volcano glacier. Run magma under the lowest level of ice. Use the resulting melting to produce mud to produce farms.
I am talking about "improvement" of farming, not creation of things.

Anyways, a cave in will melt ice as well, and you can farm in the caverns.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:46 am »

I am talking about "improvement" of farming, not creation of things.

Anyways, a cave in will melt ice as well, and you can farm in the caverns.
Not having to go all the way down to the first cavern level is an improvement over farming in the caverns. If you have a volcano anyway, using magma might quite easily be more convenient than repeatedly caving in ice, so that is also an improvement.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:30 am »

Complicated medical operations such as surgery, if both the patient and the doctor need to survive.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:20 am »

Complicated medical operations such as surgery, if both the patient and the doctor need to survive.
If you give them a very short magma shower, turn it off, turn on water shower; then all FB toxins and infections are cleaned off.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:01 am »

Nothing for me to magmanize?

I guess I'll just do this one.

You can use magma to remove the patients skin and excess fat, allowing easier access to internal organs.

How do you improve an entire map full of magma, no soil, no stone, from the top of heaven to the bottom of the circus.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:56 am »

The life-expectancy of everyone in the fort if you don't know what you're doing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:18 am »

Nothing for me to magmanize?

I guess I'll just do this one.

You can use magma to remove the patients skin and excess fat, allowing easier access to internal organs.

How do you improve an entire map full of magma, no soil, no stone, from the top of heaven to the bottom of the circus.

With magma, you make a second map full of magma, no soil, no stone, from the top of heaven to the bottom of the circus.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 11:06:14 am »

Is easy-access actually a component of dwarf surgery? I find it interesting, especially if fatter dwarves have a harder time being operated on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 11:07:10 am »

If you give them a very short magma shower, turn it off, turn on water shower; then all FB toxins and infections are cleaned off.

Ah, but what if there were no FB toxins and infections? What if it was just surgery? Or am I wrong... perhaps dissinfecting and removing necrotic flesh is a component. Forgive me for the double post, might I add.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:09:32 am by Owlbread »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:45 am »

Ah, but what if there were no FB toxins and infections? What if it was just surgery? Or am I wrong... perhaps dissinfecting and removing necrotic flesh is a component. Forgive me for the double post, might I add.
Fat is burned off, so now the patient isn't as flammable.

Also, infections might be cauterized, but I'm not sure.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:36 am »

Fat is burned off, so now the patient isn't as flammable.

Also, infections might be cauterized, but I'm not sure.

So, judging by the tenuous links that we hold onto now, surgery with magma would be unwise, and would not be improved by much?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 11:17:59 am »

Is easy-access actually a component of dwarf surgery? I find it interesting, especially if fatter dwarves have a harder time being operated on.

I'd have to perform a little !!Science!! on the subject, but I think that fat and skin provide a small amount of protection to the internal organs, so it makes sense that removing said protection would assist in surgery.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5