Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does your fortress look like?  (Read 4458 times)

Maxrmk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What does your fortress look like?
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:03:32 am »

Im looking for interesting or effective ways to lay out a fortress. Can anyone post pictures of their own?
A dwarfs goal in life is to die a horribly painful death from one of the many forms of such a fate that the gods have though of.

Anything in between is merely a placeholder.

furiousj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What does your fortress look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:58:23 am »

This is my workshop level. The central circle was going to be a finished goods stockpile (the staircase in the center leads near the Trade Depot). The ring around that is a hall for access. From that ring is several hallways that lead to various workshop pods, representing a raw stockpile type. From the bottom and going clockwise: Seige, Stone, Magma Forges/Furnaces/Smelters, Wood, Jewelry/Bone Carvers/Leatherworks/Clother, Food Related (Butchery and Tanning, Food Workshops, etc.). The bottom right does not have a designation, but can be used for spillover if one industry needs more space for workshops. The forges workshop is extended out so the magma underneath doesn't interfere with other stockpiles. The bottom left is left blank for my future Obsidian farm.

To the right of the food-based workshops is the Still and Kitchens, and to the right of that is the raw food stockpile on the top and the prepared food and brew stockpile on the bottom.

Between the forges and wood workshops is housing.

Just above the wood workshops is what would have been a underground tree farm like Pagebend's. It goes for several Z-Layers in each direction. Just needed to flood it and breach the caverns.

The massive carved out area around everything was going to be a underground river like Walledwar's. That would have led to a large underground lake. On the sides of the river were spots not being carved for housing. The nobles have their towers above ground, but everyone knows these houses on the river are superior. The lake would have had islands as well, with specialized housing for a few of my Legendary dwarves, so they could go straight from their room to their workshop, and would have the works to keep them joyous little seamonkies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the note of Noble's Towers, here's the one I had built and almost finished. The ramp off the side leads to his personal Dining Room at my grand (unnamed) dining area.

Here's the afore-mentioned Dining Area. There are several layers with tables and chairs pointing in. 2 of the layers are for nobles: 1 for various minor nobles, and 1 for the king all to himself. This whole area would have had seating for over 1000, not including the Noble's dining areas, each of which has room for 4 people at a time. At the "empty" end of this area would have been an execution tower. Prisoners would have been placed at the top in traditional execution tower style, and released periodically for those dining. Dinner and a show.

This is the burial tree. The branches are currently under construction. Off of these branches would have been small 2x2 rooms containing 1 coffin and 1 statue, 1 for each dwarf. These rooms would have been made of Green Glass, and would have represented the leaves of the tree. The nobles would have had larger 6x6 or 7x7 (I don't have a set size yet) rooms made of cinnabar and well furnished, representing the fruit of the tree. As the fortress grows and ages, the dwarves would be "buried" here, and the tree grows. The tree ensures the ancestors of those living at the fort would be watching over future generations.

I give all of these would haves and whatnot because I'm starting a new fort. All of these ideas will be in the fort, but I'm starting over, with a bit more "this fort needs to be bigger and a testament to Dwarfkind" mentality.

Anyways, these are the more interesting areas of my fort.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:48 am »

The inside is usually made of one or more "living" levels, with a large central plaza (suspended above a shaft, sometimes) with bedrooms, the common dining room, the hospital and a lever room. Sometimes I made a common people level and a noble level.
Then there's the worksops and storage level (no fixed layout for those, it depends on the terrain), and under all of that there's the mining levels, whose entrance is usually separated from the main base, so that I have time to seal it with only minor losses if something goes wrong.
The military area is behind the gates, and I always try to make the gates themselves somewhat like al Khazneh in Petra (http://www.industriadelturismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Petra-01.jpg).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:17:39 am by Lord Vetinari »

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:29:37 am »

Here's some industrial stuff. It's an aboveground fort built entirely out of glass or copper (goblinite) so it is REALLY important for me to have a super efficient glassworking and metal industry or I just spend forever waiting for materials.

Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:19:42 am »

Are you familiar with the map archive? Loads of good stuff on there, great for browsing when in need of inspiration. Though FlareChannel always makes me feel inadequate  :-\

http://mkv25.net/dfma/

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »

My good god of blood that is an impressive fort!

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »

Awesome forts in this thread! I don't have much to contribute in terms of pictures (yet). But lately I've been using a central stair-case of up/down stairs for all of my forts. It's great for minimizing the distances between the levels (this of course also applies to invaders).
"It's unpossible!"

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:19 pm »

My fortress is currently under construction. It is mined out of the map; it's a giant statue of the goddess of the moon, the sky, dreams, nightmares, and the night, inside of which all my dorfs live. Entirely smoothed and carved when possible. Only a few things are artificially added, like eyes made of clear glass. No picture yet because I'm barely even done with the head, but stay tuned.  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:41 pm »

Here is my most current fort:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10374-bodicespots

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

Those are the interesting ones, I'll take a stab at effective.

My forts tend to be carved out underground tower designs. Defensive towers/pillboxes/drawbridges and barracks go near the surface. Dining hall and living space go between caverns 1 and 2, less distance to the magma industries. Exported junk industries (stonecrafting, masonry for blocks to build surface emplacements) go above cavern 1. Everything else branches off from there as needed. Water comes from cavern 1 or 2, which are walled off immediately until I either have a military or the FB's settle down long enough to be cave-in bombed. It's efficient distance and pathing-wise, though aesthetically lackluster.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

If you want a fort that's small but an incredibly large building project, here's one:

Layout, bottom to top:

It can hold more than three dwarves, but that's how many were in it upon closing.

Original thread for this fort: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83919.0
It has some interesting ideas throughout.

Maxrmk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »

Damn! Those are impressive. Thanks guys
A dwarfs goal in life is to die a horribly painful death from one of the many forms of such a fate that the gods have though of.

Anything in between is merely a placeholder.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:29 pm »

I like the above-ground magma-powered one by zephyr_hound. I think I'll try that next fort. Thanks for the idea!
Anyway, my forts are always nestled into a walled off section of the 1st cavern level. Due to my extreme bad luck, I miss the 2nd cavern level, and hit the 3rd one, where I wall off another area for dwarves to use. Then we hit magma and then all is right with the fort. Small areas might be dug out along the stairwell for workshops, storage, and bedrooms/noble areas. This usually only works with a high minimum cavern openness because the usual, maze-like caverns aren't really my type of cave.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:35:38 pm »

My current fort's design isn't particularly interesting, and I've been having a dearth of inspiration recently so even when I was going to restart I just couldn't think of anything to make. Still, here's a picture of my most recent actually-fancy design:

This is the topmost level; it has 6 more below it, with the 3rd, 5th, and 7th levels having the same catwalk layout, the 7th level having the same workshop layout except for the farm plots on the east side being replaced with more workshops, every level having the bedrooms towers filled up, and the remaining levels of the pillars where the workshops are are used as stockpiles. The central pillar has several central things in it: trade goods pile and depot on this level, barracks, hospital, waterworks, dining room, prepared food pile, and drinks pile. The catwalks are solid on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th levels.

Those pits are deep; they go all the way to the semi-molten rock. Getting that huge volume of stone cleared out was my megaproject for that fort, especially since I had to drain a sizable portion of the magma sea to get the rock at those depths cleared.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:37:09 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!