Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slaves to Armok: A Histories of Slavery and Bondage  (Read 3246 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Slaves to Armok: A Histories of Slavery and Bondage
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »

I've always liked the sound of slavery in DF, but people seem to feel quite strongly about it. Correct me on this, but I'd heard that Toady himself was not happy with the idea. It's a shame, because I'd love to keep those child snatchers as magma scouts.
Everyone likes a little servant who does everything they want for no pay. But everyone hates slaves.  ::)

We could call them "indentured servants"...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »

I belive slavery was one of the planned features in the development page. In case it is planned, I still think we'll have to wait quite some time for it. A shame, really.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 07:37:43 pm »

We kind of already do have slaves. They're called "the damn crazy fools who got on the wagon", or alternatively "migrants".
Seriously, though, I do want a gladiator pit. :)

They're easy to make.

Build a huge Colosseum spanning a dozen Z levels, build a drawbridge on each side, put a cage which whatever creatures you want to fight, link them to a lever, open the cages, lower the drawbridges and bam, you have elf blood splattered all over your beautiful walls.

Have a purge system too, in case your Unfortunate Accident wasn't as explosive as you'd like.
But then I have to capture the contestants. I want people to go in of their own stupid will, for the moniez and stuff. Plus, I think it's more convenient to throw them in from above. Plus plus, I couldn't be buggered to build multiple z's. I hate building across z-levels.  :-[
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

I have a feeling I'd get attached to slaves nonetheless, especially if they have special abilities the dwarves don't have (like, *cough*, elves and their tree-growing).

Though it would be pretty awesome to make a story out of a ragtag bunch of misfit kobolds who get drafted into the dwarven military and go on to dish out pain on invaders. Getting in an army is a dangerous job, and the dwarves saw the kobolds as good distractions against the scarier things their normal military couldn't easily handle as the fort engaged in a lockdown.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »

I have a feeling I'd get attached to slaves nonetheless, especially if they have special abilities the dwarves don't have (like, *cough*, elves and their tree-growing).
WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? ARE YOU SAYING THAT DWARVES CAN'T GROW BETTER TREES?

RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Necro cancels post: Throwing Tantrum.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 12:49:21 am »

Though it would be pretty awesome to make a story out of a ragtag bunch of misfit kobolds who get drafted into the dwarven military and go on to dish out pain on invaders. Getting in an army is a dangerous job, and the dwarves saw the kobolds as good distractions against the scarier things their normal military couldn't easily handle as the fort engaged in a lockdown.
Urist McXeivous cancels post reply: Interrupted by revenge scheme.
Pages: 1 [2]