Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slaves to Armok: A Histories of Slavery and Bondage  (Read 3247 times)

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaves to Armok: A Histories of Slavery and Bondage
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:28:38 am »

You know what'd be neat? A class of sub citizens who you can care about even less about than a immigrant potash maker. A caste that works tirelessly and receives little besides sustenance. Sure, their work may be shoddy and they simmer with the rage of a opressed sub-proletariat, but their deaths mean little and their sacrifice can create wonders.

What I'm talking about are literal Slaves to Armok.

You know those Goblin Snatchers and Kobold Thieves that attempt to sap the lifeblood of your fortress? Why not capture them, give them a little 'conditioning', and set them to work for their sins.

And if the Elves start causing trouble? Why merely execute them when making them build the same megaprojects they loathe so much would be so much more karmically satisfying?

Maybe different slaves could have special abilities. Elves could harvest lumber in the way of the fair folk, Kobolds could subsist on bones and are especially compliant, and Goblins could... well, I'm sure they could do something. Maybe make good nannies?

Remember, though, that we could have a more Classical slavery. Slaves are captured and without rights, but so to could Dwarfs and other noteworthies be subjugated for crimes. Furthermore, slaves could have the capability to become full citizens and serve in that capacity.

Also, imagine the FUN of attempting to put down a slave riot when they outnumber your dwarves three to one and you only have five military men.

So what are your hopes for the possibility of slavery?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Slaves to Armok: A Histories of Slavery and Bondage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

We kind of already do have slaves. They're called "the damn crazy fools who got on the wagon", or alternatively "migrants".
Seriously, though, I do want a gladiator pit. :)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:27 am »

Ideas forum. NOW.

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:54 am »

We kind of already do have slaves. They're called "the damn crazy fools who got on the wagon", or alternatively "migrants".
Urist McPlebian has been estatic lately. Urist McPlebian has taken in a thrilling fight recently.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:47:48 am »

You will have to wait till gobbos are playable, or mod your game so you can enslave other races.

Dwarves however... are not into slavery.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 05:18:21 am »

Yeah, dwarves are into magma dips, terminal velocity, "combat practice", megabeast fodder, selling to elves (likely as a food), drowning, and so on, but not slavery.

Because Armok commands you to shed blood, not care for its vessel.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:48 am »

We already have sub-beings that we care nothing at all about.

They're called Nobles.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:36 am »

also, cannonically I don't think dwarves were into slave labor. They take pride in doing things themselves.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:59 am »

Not sure if the program is updated to .25 yet, but there was a program where your migrants can by any race, of your choosing. A neat little thing that I did was, however many elves I captured, that many of the elvin migrants would be turned into slaves while the original captured elves would be put to death.

All dwarves win. =3

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:55 am »

You can turn slavery on in the entity RAW. Just change ETHIC:SLAVERY to ACCEPTABLE.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:50 am »

They're easy to make.

Build a huge Colosseum spanning a dozen Z levels, build a drawbridge on each side, put a cage which whatever creatures you want to fight, link them to a lever, open the cages, lower the drawbridges and bam, you have elf blood splattered all over your beautiful walls.

Have a purge system too, in case your Unfortunate Accident wasn't as explosive as you'd like.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:32 am »

At title; awwwwriiight.
At suggestion; No, sounds useless.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:53 am »

I've always liked the sound of slavery in DF, but people seem to feel quite strongly about it. Correct me on this, but I'd heard that Toady himself was not happy with the idea. It's a shame, because I'd love to keep those child snatchers as magma scouts.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:15 am »

Oh, Goblin slaves? That makes sense. Just not other Dorf slaves.  >:(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:38 am »

I've always liked the sound of slavery in DF, but people seem to feel quite strongly about it. Correct me on this, but I'd heard that Toady himself was not happy with the idea. It's a shame, because I'd love to keep those child snatchers as magma scouts.
Everyone likes a little servant who does everything they want for no pay. But everyone hates slaves.  ::)
Pages: [1] 2