Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: broken fourth finger of doom - A medical question  (Read 2134 times)

gorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
broken fourth finger of doom - A medical question
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »

My problem is 2 dwarves, each with a broken 4th finger/smashed open. 

My 31.25 fortress is 4 years old.  I've got a hospital which has been used in prior years and is currently being successfully used by a different dwarf with a different injury who walked himself to the hospital.  The dwarves with the broken fingers were each in the military and were injured during 2 separate ambushes.  After their injury they have switched to "No Job" and haven't moved since. 
Here are the things I have tried to do to them:
kick them from the military
Create a new military squad with only them in it
give them every labor
give them no labors
assign them to a burrow
assign them to no burrows
put them in the military and order them to move to a location (this does change their job to "Station" but they still don't move)
stop and restart the game
Release a goblin right next to them (This proved that they're just lazy bastards because they ran from the goblin just fine, but stopped moving again once it was dead)

It seems like their grievous finger injury is enough to keep them from moving but not enough to trigger a "Recover Wounded" job.  The dwarf who's been in this state longest is dehydrated and is not triggering "Give Water" jobs (I'm sure because the rest of the dwarves are like "It's only your finger!.  Go get your own damn water".)

Other than the obvious "Magma" solution which would be complex with them sitting in my main entrance hallway and the second best solution of "Drop the roof on them", Any other suggestions?

They're not important dwarves so letting them die as punishment for being stupid is acceptable and a fair warning to any others that might try to use a minor finger injury as an excuse to be lazy.  But I'd like to know how to handle this if it happens to an important dwarf. 

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: broken fourth finger of doom - A medical question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »

You could (carefully) use water to (hopefully) push them towards food and drink? Or possibly to a state where they'll realize they're injured and act appropriately?

Although it would be a very... random... endeavor, since if I recall, water doesn't push things in any particular direction. But it couldn't hurt?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:12 am »

Perhaps build a spear trap under each of them, hook it to a mechanism, and pull the lever? Hopefully, it gives them a minor injury, and they go to the hospital.

Just an idea, don't know if it'd work...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:59 am »

Trigger a stonefall trap near them? Not on them, obviously, but the tossing about by dust may...encourage them to seek medical attention.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14:23 am »

Angrily yell profanity at your screen? Release goblins near them until they run off of a cliff? Magma?

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:43:37 pm »

I'll be watching this thread carefully for any tips.  I have one of my better marksdwarves (though who knows how good he'll be after he recovers from his injuries, assuming he does) doing EXACTLY the same thing, and I've tried all the things you have.  Not being able to manually assign tasks like Recover Wounded is silly, given all the other micromanagement in the game.
Randy...

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »

Trigger a stonefall trap near them? Not on them, obviously, but the tossing about by dust may...encourage them to seek medical attention.

I just built a stonefall trap near my stalled dwarf, but I see not that you can't connect that trap to a lever.  How can you "trigger" it?
Randy...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

+1
This should knock the dwarf unconsious so another dwarf can carry him to the hospital for treatment.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »

I just built a stonefall trap near my stalled dwarf, but I see not that you can't connect that trap to a lever.  How can you "trigger" it?

Release a goblin right next to them (This proved that they're just lazy bastards because they ran from the goblin just fine, but stopped moving again once it was dead)

Catch another gobbo, release it right next to the trap.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »

Basically, do anything you can to injure them enough for medical treatment. Spear trap, cavein, trap them with berserk elves, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:39:30 pm »

Build a support near the dwarf and build a support tile on top of it (probably need to build a temporary stair). link the support to a lever and pull the lever. The floor tile will fall and be a cave in, causing dust which will knock your dwarf unconscious. This requires that the dwarf be in a place where you have the headroom to build it, like being outside or in a 2 z-level tall room. If he's indoors, you can just channel out around a single space in a room above him (but not so that it drops right on top of him!).
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 02:39:41 pm »

Stonefall traps don't make dust. You're talking about cave-in traps.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »

I've had problems like that.  What you need is to make sure you have all medical professions enabled somewhere.  Not necessarily the same dwarf.  If he has a broken bone in a finger, he could be waiting for a bone doctor to set it in a splint. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:18 pm »

Stonefall traps don't make dust. You're talking about cave-in traps.

I stand corrected.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »

I think he meant cave-in. It causes stones to fall but is not a stone-fall trap.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2