Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Peninsula Embark (Dealing with salt water)  (Read 2753 times)

Jfqs6m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Peninsula Embark (Dealing with salt water)
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:26:10 pm »

Just embarked on a peninsula. There is a 70 tile gap which over which I'm currently building a giant obsidian wall (obsidian was 2 layers down =D) across. I do have a question though. When my water runs out, since I'm on the ocean front, what will my dwerfs do for water? There are some small lakes on my island. Is there any way to get water from them? From my memory my dwerfs have only gotten drinking water from streams...

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peninsula Embark (Dealing with salt water)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:35:17 pm »

You make your dwarves drink water? You're mean.

If you build a well over top of water, it should purify it.
You need a bucket, a rope or chain, and a block to build a well, and an architect to design it.

You can also use zones (i) to designate ponds as water sources, but that won't work by the ocean because the water is salty.

Jfqs6m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:42:47 pm »

Alcohol! Bah! I have plenty of that... I completely forgot about that... Haha thanks. What is the rarity of obsidian btw?

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:24 pm »

I don't know about numbers, but obsidian is a layer stone, so you should have plenty.
If not you can always go obsidian farming (mixing water and magma for unlimited obsidian).

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

Obsidian is unique in that you can make swords out of it (at the crafts shop in the rock section) and it is worth three times as much as regular stone.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:21:31 am »

Obsidian is as rare as your access to water, magma, and pumps.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:42:31 am »

if you are next to an ocean you probably need to make a water tank out of constructs, dwarfs dont drink salt water, and any water that has touched the map blocks turns salt watery

a pump takes out the salt, but if it falls on the floor again it turns back into salt

just build a room out of stone, including floors and walls and place a pump in its side to pump it full with water, then place a well on top

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:58:28 am »

We did some research about desalination recently, and it is definitely more complicated than that.

But for practical purposes, all you need to know is that dwarves will drink salty water if there's a well above it, and they will use it as a water source and for your hospital, and they will clean themselves at the well.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:33 am »

We did some research about desalination recently, and it is definitely more complicated than that.

But for practical purposes, all you need to know is that dwarves will drink salty water if there's a well above it, and they will use it as a water source and for your hospital, and they will clean themselves at the well.

Now i wonder, would using salty water to clean wounds of bleeding dwarves have side effects?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:22:16 am »

Naw, they are tough, prolly laugh at the stinging. Remember, we are talking about a bunch that runs around nekky in freezing weather
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:26 am »

Just build a well, your dwarves will use salt water then and not complain about it.

You can also irrigate with salt water.

Yeah, these two are blasphemy IRL, but this is dwarf fortress.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

Wouldn't salt water be better for disinfecting wounds than fresh water, due to the whole nothing can survive in salt aspect?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 03:32:31 pm »

Wouldn't salt water be better for disinfecting wounds than fresh water, due to the whole nothing can survive in salt aspect?
You mean other than the microbes, plankton, and small crustaceans that the dwarfs didn't bother to remove from the sea water?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

Nope. Saltwater is no different from fresh water excepted than intelligent creatures (including your dwarves) won't drink from it if it's not from a pit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »

Nope. Saltwater is no different from fresh water excepted than intelligent creatures (including your dwarves) won't drink from it if it's not from a pit.
I thnik he meant IRL, in which case he's merely ignoring sharks, tuna, dolphins, algae, krill, shrimp, crabs, lobsters, whales, porpoises, leatherback sea turtles...
[insert several hours' worth of sea creature names]
...eels, oarfishes, jellyfishes, krill-wait, I said that several times already.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2