Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF IS IN SPAAAACE!  (Read 1879 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
DF IS IN SPAAAACE!
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:32:14 pm »

Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF IS IN SPAAAACE!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »

The moment I saw that article, I thought of dwarf fortress.

Which is probably kind of sad, actually.

That said, someone needs to gen a hot, barren, extremely volcanic world. It's time to colonize the moons of jupiter.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:52 pm »

More like there's magma underneath the crust. Not sure why that's very special compared to, say, Earth.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »

I think it's time for somebody to mod DF... on Io.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:17 pm »

More like there's magma underneath the crust. Not sure why that's very special compared to, say, Earth.

There's a full ocean, unlike earth.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:34:59 pm »

I think Earth's mantle is super-hot rock, not actually molten rock (i.e. magma). Where the line between the 2 lies, I don't know.
And as I'm no geologist, I could be completely wrong...

Still, very cool :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »

I believe that is the difference. Come to think of it, though, while I am not a geologist either, my sister is. I should get her opinion. When it comes to oceans of magma, it's important to be accurate!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:25 pm »

I think Earth's mantle is super-hot rock, not actually molten rock (i.e. magma). Where the line between the 2 lies, I don't know.

The core is made of semi-molten rock, duh!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:44:06 am »

So um... does that mean we'll find some very bad things™ beneath the magma ocean of Io?

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:31:58 am »

Well, that does suspiciously look like a slade floor on the core's surface...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:05 am »

Ocean ? That's not an ocean, that's just a liquid mantle. Unlike in earth, and like DF.

Still pretty badass, and dwarfy if we replace SMR and hell by... i am going to guess a ferrous core.

Imagine assloads of magnetite rather than slade ! Then rather than Hell, it shall be called Dwarven heaven !

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:10:10 am »

Looks like Boatmurdered was on Io... they really DID do what "Operation: F*** the World" said it would do!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 06:51:47 am »

The difference is the pressure, and probably some other things I can't remember.  The mantle is solid, it only liquefies when it gets closer to the surface.
Shoes...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:47 am »

As Mercury and Mars are well and truly tectonically dead - cooling linked to size/surface area. No one is really sure about Venus, or about what mechanism has pevented Earth's innards cooling - possibly due to some property of the core. Remember that its a big possibility that Earths volcanism has in some way contributed to the development of life by recycling rock/atmosphere. Moons of Jupiter/Saturn are tectonically active despite thier relative smallness thanks to gravitational tidal influences - compare the effect the moon has on the oceans on Earth to the effect that Jupiter would have on the geology of its moons...
This is a blank sig.

icefox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »

Well as a geologist, I feel obligated to try to spread some light...   :-[

Naryar and such are basically correct...  "Magma ocean" is a sort of fuzzy term, and it generally means whatever the speaker wants it to mean.  The inside of the Earth is what DF might call 'semi-molten rock'.  It's sort of squishy, like really tough silly-putty or carmel, but the pressure is too high for it to actually melt and flow quickly.  The stuff that comes out of volcanoes on Earth is usually the most fluid bits of the mantle that have essentially been distilled off by heat.  Io, on the other hand, apparently has a layer of the mantle that's hot enough and at low enough pressure to actually flow freely.

(For those who care, I believe the technical distinction between 'runny rock' and 'stiff magma' is the amount of actual crystals in the mix, and Earth's mantle is mostly crystalline. The crystals bend and break under pressure which let the material flow, but there's much more crystal than melt in the mix.)

But I digress.  This is cool is not only because it's there, but because a layer of magma 50 km thick is what official science jargon calls 'a whole buttload' of magma.  To the tune of about 8% of Io's volume.  Just about the right amount of magma to fill all of Earth's oceans, in fact.  Hmmm...

As Mercury and Mars are well and truly tectonically dead - cooling linked to size/surface area. No one is really sure about Venus, or about what mechanism has pevented Earth's innards cooling - possibly due to some property of the core.
Nah, Earth is just big and full of radioactive stuff generating heat, so it stays warm.  Surface area to volume, as you said; Earth is bigger, so it cools off more slowly.  Venus too; Venus's surface is covered in volcanoes which are reasonably new, and we have no reason to imagine more couldn't erupt.  Mars is sort of an edge case; parts of Olympus Mons are supposedly 100 million years old or so, which is pretty young compared to the 4.5 billion year age of the planet.  So it's possible that Mars still has some heat left in it that will, in maybe a few more million years, make enough melt to create a new volcano.  And Mercury we don't know jack about, yet:D

In fact... if you want to consider Boatmurdered-esque deployments of magma, Venus is the place to go.  As far as people can tell, about half a billion years ago the entire surface of the planet was flooded with retarded amounts of magma, which gradually cooled into basalt.  People think that it had something to do with Venus not having plate tectonics, and so the heat being generated inside it built up and built up until the crust basically melted and sank into a... well, a magma ocean.  Which is probably as good as the story is going to get until we land there and start digging, and excavate small steel helmets and pickaxes from the rock...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:07:51 pm by icefox »