Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (overseers wanted!)  (Read 15231 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (24 hour turns)
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:20 pm »

3 days is too long. 2 days would be fine--some time to get online and check the thread, about a day's worth of actual play, then some time to compile a chronicle and format screenshots, and post.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 01:19:28 am »

2 days seems like a good length to me. I just barely made it under the wire with the one day limit, but two days seems like it would give just enough breathing room to make playing the fort fun, rather than a chore.

Also, sign me up for another turn. Now that things have turned nightmarish, I'm willing to give it another go.

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 06:11:44 pm »

I would also like a turn.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:32 pm »

edit: Dang it. I didn't even notice the save was posted.

/wall

Got it now. Sorry everyone.

(I wondered why no one was posting >_>)

edit: Don't mind me, I'm busy having a compound WTF moment.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:10:04 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »

Alas, I must withdraw. I don't have the time right now to play a turn.

varnish, looks like you're up.

The save from JohnnyDigs last post is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4473

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:43 am »

If varnish isn't going to take the next turn I could do a turn.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »

Yes, go ahead and take your turn, I can't manage anything right now. Help bring this fort back to life!

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »

Okay. Starting turn.

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 06:34:53 am »

Here is the save.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZF9EQIEM

Main things you should know about
-BIG tree farm in the north
-new central staircase
-new mug production/trading depot area above where the old trading depot used to be.
-two new floors of bedrooms that are currently being smoothed on the southern side of the staircase
-the caverns we are using for pastures have been sealed off on the ground level, but not on the levels above that are open to the air.

I also agree with making the making the turns 3 days long.
We desperately need more players. If you are interested in a turn please feel free to post.

1st Hematite -
Urist Mcmean II came up to me today looking very grumpy and simply stated "You're overseer now BrickT".
"But I have no exper..." I replied.
"I don't care, deal with it" he said as he stormed off in a rage.
I could hear him cursing to himself as he walked away from me "dammed suicidal fool".
Well, I guess I should get to work.

After looking over the layout and supplies of the fortress with my trusty marble mug of prickle berry wine at my side I come to some rather sobering conclusions. The first of which is that I need another drink.

This fortress is a damn maze. I thought I knew my way around fairly well, but no. There are three or four ways to get from one point to another, all of them needlessly complex and time consuming. We need a central staircase of some sort and some logically placed hallways to ease congestion.
We have a serious lack of metal, more specifically steel. There are veins of hematite we have discovered but for some reason have been left unmined. We haven't discovered any lignite or coal so we have been using wood as fuel, which brings me to my next point.
We are extremely short of wood, yet there is wood in the caverns. Tower-caps and blood thorns sit in the pastures we placed in the caverns just asking to be cut down by our axes. The shortage of bins is also quite obvious.
We need more pasture land if we are to support all of our livestock and have a reasonable supply of meat, wool, and milk.
The current pastures are not secure. We have wide open tunnels to Armok knows where. Some evil thing could come in and salughter most of our livestock, not to mention us.
There is a slight shortage of bedrooms. However the bigger problem is that the bedrooms we do have are plain and small booring with few acutriments. Good bedrooms with well made furnature and would do a great deal to lift the moods of everyone, which are in the dumps right now.
The front gate defenses are inadequite. We might not have enough time to ready our forces were we attacked by a substantial force. A large force could easily storm the gates before we were fully prepared. We also need more cages for the cage traps, and we need to get rid of the goblins we have in cages at the moment. We could use some weapon traps too now that I think about it.
There are still huge piles of stone everywhere, and we can always use more rock mugs to trade.
The trading depot is too far from the stockepiles it uses. Luckily we have other floors to use for workshops and stockpiles. I think I may just create a new area for rock mug crafting and have it centered on a new trade depot. Yeah, that could work.
There are animals starving everywhere and far too many cavys. I swear to Armok I counted at least 40 cavys.
Job assignments are a mess. Unskilled workers are doing the work that experts should be doing. One mad dwarf was banging at a piece of rock and trying to make it look like a door with little sucess.

So many problems, I need another drink.

2nd Hematite -
Luckily it looks like most of the major problems can be fixed ewithout too much trouble
There can easily be a main stiarcase installed througout the fortress that will work off the one on level -23 and -24
The current wood shortage has made the lack of a secure and plentiful supply of wood obvious. We desperately need a sustainable and large wood supply. Luckily I have a very ambitious plan to solve this problem in the long term.

The design is simple enough in concept. However it may take some time to mine all of the levels I have planned. All one has to do is fill up the topmost level, make sure the one below is mined and has some floodgates in place, and then open to flooded levels floodgates and have the water wash down onto the next level. Repeat the process as needed. If there isn't enough water to fill the next level you can pump in some more to another level from the stack by simply removing a door or thin wall and one of the screw pumps and replacing it with a vericle axle. I will draw a better diagram when one of the levels is completed.
I have ordered all accessable wood in the caverns and pastures to be cut down and placed in the stockpiles.
We are in desperate need of a strong industry that manufactures trading goods. I have assigned some of the unskilled dwarves to start practicing making mugs. I have decided to streamline the process of mug production and tradeing by placing them in a new, more centralised, location.

12th Hematite
The smiths are hard at work making some picks for our drafted miners and corkscrews and tubes for our pump stack for the wood and grazing land sustainability project
Cage production is coming along nicely. We should have enough cages to keep the cage traps armed by the middle of next month. We still need to deal with the goblins and trolls we have in cages and try to get all of the weapons off of them. That should be fun.

17th Hematite
The elf merchant that was wandering around on the surface with a vacant look on his face has finally snapped. He is chasing his horse around and trying to punch it.
Not really my problem but it is pretty funny.

18th hematite
The new trade/mug production center is coming along nicely. The trade depot should be constructed soon and mug production should be gearing up sometime during the beginning of next month.
One of the haulers placing the snatcher cage into the prison area was almost shanked by one of the other goblin prisoners. Luckily he is okay and the goblin in question had the stuffing beaten out of him by the dwarf he tried to shank. We should make a sweep of the prison and nab anything these scum are tyring to hide.

20th hematite
Gatelos Rakusthil, one of our best masons, took some stone and other assorted bits and pieces into his workshop and is working on something.

22nd Hematite
Gatelos made a marble bed. It looks pretty nice.

27th Hematite
Two goblin snatchers were caught in our cage traps barely minutes apart from each other.

2nd Malachite
Today marks the grand opening of "Muglomania", as some are calling it, our combined trade center and mug production and storage facility.

I have ordered more bins made for mug storage.
Another snatcher was caugh in our cage traps. Do goblins like being confined to cages?

7th Malachite
So many cavys... so many.

17th Malachite
Mug production goes well. We have produced over 200 so far. The newly assigned stonecrafters are showing improvement, however slowly.

23rd Malachite
Mining of the topmost growing floor of the wood and grazing land sustainability project goes well. Constructing the housing for the pump stack is also going according to plans.

I assigned some of the dwarves with nothing to do to build a wall to block off sections of the caverns next to our main pasture area. Some of the unskilled dwarves have been assigned to rock smoothing detail. The wood and grazing land sustainability project is coming along as scheduled thankfully.

6th Galena
The topmost tree growing and pasture floor should be done within a week or two. The pump stack housing is also nearing completion. Mug production is going astoundingly well. 500 mugs have been produced so far!

19th Galena
A human caravan has arrived. We have plenty of mugs to trade with them. I hope they have some wood and steel.

23rd Galena
Oh great, we now have two ghosts haunting us, Sakzul Litasrteg and Blen Zegunib are scareing the crap out of people near the entrance to the fort and on the topmost growing floor of the wood and grazing land sustainability project. I have ordered memorials carved for them to help them rest in peace.

24th Galanea
Tradeing with the humans has concluded. Our plethora of mugs has netted us some much needed exotic metal bars, other metal trinkets we can melt down for bars, clothes, rope, food, and of course prickle berry wine along with other exotic drinks. Sadly they did't have any wood. Oh well.

8th Limestone
I went over the diagrams we have of the caverns again and found a part of the caverns that could be easily secured that we haven't touched yet.

The red ovals are areas that need to be walled off. The one on the right connects to several other levels above. The one one the left has not been explored.
Zuntir Sashassazir also gave birth to a boy today.

23rd Limestone
 I have been told that the part of the cavern we are trying to claim can easily be sealed by walling off only one of the previous two areas

1st Sandstone
The pump stack has been completed and we are almost finished with the pump stack housing.
Thob Svathez gave birth to a boy today. He looks quites strong and is already drinking.

16th Sandstone
The windmills have all been completed and the pump stack has been sealed.
Amost Lokmilush seems to have stopped talking to anyone, or even looking at them and taken over a clothier’s workshop. He took some logs, greent glass, wood, rock blocks and dog leather to his workshop and started working intently.

27th Sandstone
Amost Lokmilush is running around the fort showing everyone his newly made sock.

The axles and gears under the windmills are nearly completed as I write this. Only a few more mechanisms and gears and the stack should be pumping.

7th Timber
I have now seen it all. I was inspecting the bottom level of the pump stack with Rigoth Zimmelbil the chief mechanic when I noticed something flicker out of the corner of my eye.
I turned slowly to see none other than the ghost of Sakzul Litasrteg the fisherdwarf sitting by the side of the cavern lake and fishing. I asked Rigoth to look and see if he saw what I saw. He did. We slowly backed away and closed the door to the caverns, not like it will do any good.
I ordered those memorial slabs engraved months ago! What are those fools doing?

18th Timber
All axles, pumps, windmills, and gears save one are in place. All that is left is the moment of truth as we connect the last gear and see if this mad machine will work. Tension fills the small stairwell as the assembled crowds

YES! I CAN HEAR THE WATER FLOWING! THE GEARS TURNING! THE AXLES SPINNING!

Cheers erupt slowly from the stairwell, growing louder and louder until I am almost deafened by the shouts of joy in the confined space.

IT
IS
WORKING!

Everyone is cheering. Some are crying. I can feel tears in my eyes.
The pain, the toil, the endless checking and re-checking of plans, it was all worth it just for the joy of this moment!

"To the dining hall everyone, it is time to celebrate!" I shouted over the voices of the others as they died down.

After several drinks I decided to stand on a table and make a speech.

"Fellow dwarves, today is the beginning of a new era for Slaughtergorges, nay, for all of Dwarf kind. No longer will we be subject to the abject cruelties of nature while trying to eek out an existance on its coat tails.
 No longer will we live in fear of the beasts of the surface and the terrors of the deep! No! We have shown the world that any obstacle no matter how hard, seemingly impossable, or utterly foolish to those unwilling to dream, can be achived through grit, determination, and the sweat of our brows!
Today will be the start of a new era! The Era of Dwarves!
The assembled partiers cheared and contiunued partying. Things get a bit fuzzy after that. I DO however remember how good that prickle berry wine tasted.

19th Timber
Well, that was some party. The dining room is a mess and everyone I see in the hallway looks dazed but nonetheless fairly happy. "Thatll be a night to never remember” I overheard someone say.

Well I should get to work on some of the other problems we have. First of all these damn cavys are clogging up everything. I found one of the damn things in the hallway near my room, or more accurately my foot found it.
I went to check with the farmers and herders and they tell me that there are at least 60 of them, but they can't get an accurate count as so many of them have escaped from the main pen. I tell them to pick the strongest and fattest male and femal cavy and put them somewhere else and I order the butches to get busy with the rest.

Some more levels for the the wood and grazing land sustainability project will need to be excevated. The water is flowing at such incredable rate that the water level of the cavern lake noticeably lower.
Seven more dwarves have been given picks and assigned to part time digging duty.
We have almost 1900 mugs so far. Many of my fellow stonecrafters are becoming quite skilled.
I figured it was about time to improve the entrance to the fort by making the entrance less direct with a few more corners that our militia can hide behind and more room to place traps.
We also need to build some larger rooms with enough space to accomidate all of the things our top masons are creating. Cabinets, coffers, tables, chairs, weapon racks, armor stands, and of course a bed. All of it marble. The rooms should be smoothed and engraved by our master engravers. Well made rooms and furnature will help raise everyones mood here.

28th Timber.
The new defensive hallway near the entrance has been completed. Now all we have to do is set up some walls and move a few cage traps. Work is going well on the new level of rooms. The centralmost staircase has also been completed, although most of it doesnt go anywhere at the moment all one would have to do is dig a few hallways as they are needed.

10th Moonstone
We finished trading with the caravan from the mountainhome and purchased some wounderful metal bars, meat, fish, drinks, and some cheap weapons, armor, and crafts to melt down into more bars.

15th Moonstone
The engravers finally carved memorials to both of our ghosts and they have been put to rest.
Work on the new rooms goes well. We have a large section of the first area dug out.
One of the soldiers who was outside told me there are some trees that are still standing to the southwest of the entrance. I have ordered them cut down.

20th Moonstone
The level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project that is currently being flooded is about half way full. The work on the next levels drainage floodgates goes well. We should have them linked well before the above level completely fills. It still amazes me that this whole plan is actually working.
Inod Kolmis gave birth to a baby boy today.

24th Moonstone
We managed to cut down a few of the newly discovered trees outside. Unfortnately a pack of zombie goats has taken a liking to the area around the trees. We can just wait until they go somewhere else. We have plenty of wood that still needs to be cut underground.

4st Opal
The miners are nearing completeion on the first floor of the new rooms. Production orders for sufficient furnature have been ordered and the master masons are hard at work creating beautyful masterpieces of stone for the entire population and a few extra for anyone else who arrives.
I drew a rouch sketch of the floor so far and an example of a fully furnished bedroom. The example bedroom is circled in red. All the room needs is its walls and floors smoothed and engraved by master engravers.

Bedrooms this nice should go a very long way to keeping everyone happy.

13th Opal
The top level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is full of water so I ordered the pumps stopped for the time being until the floodgates are ready on the next level down
Construction of the second floor of rooms has begun.

20th Opal
The cavy magement program is going well, if not cleanly. I don't know how many are left, asking how many are left makes me too depressed.

25th Opal
I have increased the priority of the drainage gates and pits on the wood and grazing land sustainability project so that the mechanics will have more time to build and test the drainage floodgates.
There are saplings growing already in the top level. That level is also nearly full of water.

3rd Obsidian
The west wing of the second level of rooms is completed and work goes well on the drainage for the wood and grazing land sustainability project.

16th Obsidian
We are back to having over 1000 mugs once more. The secondary central staircases are being dug and built where nesessary. Slaughtergorges will finally have a logical and easy way to get from place to place.  A new area for the poultry has also been constructed. Nest boxes are being placed and soon we should have these birds making eggs soon instead of standing in the hallways trying to trip dwarves.

23rd Obsidian
Those cursed zombie mountain goats are scareing our woodcutters away from the trees west of the fort. These trees are some of the only trees left that we can cut down so I ordered The Earthen Riddles to go out and take care of them, which they did with ease and no injurys. The woodcutters can now kill those trees in peace.

4th Granite
Work on the staircases goes well and they should be completed withing a fortnight.
The cavy magagement program has been a resounding sucess. We are down to only a couple of them now.
The poultry area is doing well and producing many eggs.

13th Granite
Kivish Dodoknakuth, a child, has taken over a craftdwarves workshop in the mug production area and is running around gathering materials. Not wanting to squash her creativity I allowed her to continue. The last section of the second level of rooms is being dug out. The stairwells have finally been completed. Most of the the levels don’t go anywhere yet but as I said it would be fairly painless to carve out some hallways like the ones on the lower levels.

17th Granite
Kivish has been sorting through many of the stockpiles looking for items. He says he needs bones so I have one of the reindeer butchered.The next level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is being flooded from the runoff of the top level. Everyone is happy it is working so well. I have organised a small party to celebrate the occasion.

20th Granite
10 desperately needed migrants arrived today. Two children, a glassmaker, a gem cutter, a fish cleaner, a decent brewer, a hunter, a cook, a butcher and a clothesmaker/potter. Most of them have been assigned to mining duty.
The second floor of rooms is complete. They look wounderful. Now all thy need is some smoothing and master engraving. The miner’s advize that we not dig directly below the level that was just flooded. I tasked them with excevating the next level down.

24th Granite
Kivish has begun work on his creation, whatever it is. He is using some bones, gems, rock crystals and a piece of wood. This should be interesting.

27th Granite
A polar bear is drinking some of the booze that the elven caravan from last year was carrying. I thought we got all the important stuff off their courpses! As much as the loss of booze pains me it will be somewhat mitigated by the wounderful taste of polar bear marinaded in booze.

3rd Slate
Kivish Dodoknakuth has finished his creation. It is a water buffalo bone shield. It looks very nice.

9th Slate
Digging of the next level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is nearly half done. The miners are becoming quite good at digging and the new arrivals are helping enormously.

13th Slate
I have ordered many of our useless metal trinkets along with poor quality armor and weapons to be melted into bars.

17th Slate
I am relocating the poultry pen to a more protected area of the cavern that is closer to food storage.
All of the wood we cut down outside has been placed into the stockpiles.
The new level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is nearing completion

21st Slate
Bah! We have two more spirits haunting us. I have ordered their memorials placed in the tombs. We are going to have to make sure we have memorials to everyone who has died.

3rd Felsite
Our stonefrafters are continuing to improve their skills. We now have more than 1900 mugs

7th Felsite
Slaughtergorges has been made a country. I am so proud of everyones hard work.

13th Felsite
The next level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project has been dug. The miners are getting really good at their jobs.

15th Felsite
Three of those goblin snatchers fell into the cage traps today. I was beginning to think they forgot about us. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case.
Oh for Armoks sake! Another one of the damn thigs got itself caught in the cage traps.

16th Felsite
Two goblin ambushes have been spotted. One was near the roc nest and one to the south-west of the entrance.  I suppose the snatchers were a scouting party in some capacity. One of the foolish goblins managed to get stuck in the trap that was meant to catch the newly hatched roc.

I stationed the militia at the turn around the first corner and gave them the order to pounce on the goblins as they came around the bend into the entrance corridors. I was watching from the rear of the hallway and observed the militia struck the first blow. I would have never imagined a battle could be over that fast. As soon as it had begun it was over and there were pieces of goblins covering everything near the entrance.

After the militia secured the perimiter they were checked for wound and we found they sustained no injuries. I did notice that Ral Etestunib has the beginning of an infection in his right lower arm due to an injury he acquired some time ago however.

19th Felsite
The elven carvan has been spotted in the distance. Homefully they bring something useful instead of a goblin ambush like last year.

26th Felsite
Trading has been finished with the elves and we have acquired some exotic animals, cages, food, and booze.

1st Hematite
Things are going well for the fort and not much is happening at the moment so I have decided to see if I can give this position to someone else and return to my true love, making rock mugs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:06:48 pm by BrickT »

theduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:16 am »

Ill take a turn. Is there anyone in line right now?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Ill take a turn. Is there anyone in line right now?
Not that I'm aware of.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »

This fortress sounds like a nightmare!

I'll go after theduck if no one objects.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

theduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »

Megaupload says the file is "temporarily unavailable"....
I got it, apparently when they say temporarily, they mean it.

Here is the save. I will post the full account when I am done proofreading it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZF9EQIEM
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:47:43 pm by theduck »

theduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:21 am »

I didn't quite get to finish a year, made it most of the way through Opal. I'll post the journal a bit later.

The Save:
http://www.tau-ceti.net/slaughter-year-11.zip

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:59 am »

Awesome.

Grabbed it, will likely have it back up tomorrow at this time.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9