Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you think causes all of the empty forts?  (Read 3059 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
What do you think causes all of the empty forts?
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »

After several tests, I can safely say that it's NOT starvation.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think causes all of the empty forts?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

Someone stole all the booze?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:27 pm »

Someone stole all the booze?
Human outdoor forts, not dwarf fortresses.

Just to be sure, AoD, did you see that others pointed out in the thread where you asked that the tags are [NO_DRINK][NO_EAT] rather than [NODRINK][NOEAT]?

Edit: There are two causes in a test world I've run with and without those tags: Battles, and Child Snatchers. The snatchers steal away the lord's children, if any, and the lord dies without a replacement, yet the site is kept as the property of the civilization. Battles target a fortress, which tend to be low in staffing, and don't seem to grant a defensive benefit yet, which can easily lead to the obliteration of the defenders. Starvation might exaggerate these effect or might not.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:17:02 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's just whever a civ dies out.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »

Whatever causes it- it is REALLY depressing. The amount of abandoned forts I've camped out in... or the forts where the lady or law-giver sits there all by themselves in a huge, empty fortress. So sad.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »

For me, they are usually empty because I chopped off all the hands and feet of the people living there in what was a great big misunderstanding....and I had to resort to limb-amputating because my copper battle axe couldn't cut through their armor. So it was just a big bloody mess when I was done and who would want to live there after that?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

If I know human culture right, I would say a mix of wars, civil wars, revolution, plague, and other stuff..

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

I caused it?

I shall never make that joke again.

I think its just them dieing out for whatever reason during Worldgen
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:31:08 am »

well if it's a result of a dead royal then that would make conquering towns and area easier if all it takes to stop the respawning men is by killing their royals members then move in strip miners to remove the walls for resources.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

Maybe check the battles in Legends? I've seen some just kill everyone in a fort.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10:19 pm »

That bothered me too. In my latest adventurer, I received a quest to kill a particular bandit, very close to a town. when I snuck in there I was greeted to the sight of about 20 bandits, I kid you naught. Showing some sense for one, I snuck away. Later I decided to see if I could snipe at some crossbowmen, to fill my bolt supply. When I arrived at the village, the bandits had raided it, bodies everywhere. One of the bandits I was supposed to kill was in a house, attacking a peasant.
 I believe that bandits, monsters have a general area they claim besides their camps, thus ambushes while fast travel. Also I have seen the stupid soldiers in the forts, get camelized while attacking nearby wildlife. Thus the wildlife that survives gets irate, and when they enter a fort, gets revenge. i wonder if you gave the humans in the raws the AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE tag, more forts would be inhabited?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a philosopher! No, it's a raptor! No, i-AAGGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:57:04 pm »

In my current world, almost all the forts are abandoned except for a few that house the leader of the civ. Although a few minutes ago I found a single fort in a civ I had just discovered that is FILLED TO THE BRIM with soldiers, and even has a general and Lady.
Softer than a baby dwarf's beard.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:07 am »

ya i was getting allot of empty forts filled with tons of lions and cheetahs... lol
I voted for BANANA!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

I found a fort with horses running around outside that my veteran giant-monster slaying companions chased around, taking severe casualties due to the animal's superior tactics. One horse stood at the door to the fort like a guard (probably got stuck?) and made me dodge an attack to get past him through the double doors. There was no one inside the fort except a bunch of Rhesus monkeys and more horses. On the way out I had to dodge another attack from the same horse who hadn't moved apparently.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:36:05 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »

I think it's the rhesus macaques.  After they finish stealing every last item in the fortress they go for the inhabitants' souls.

Must be why they always hang out near empty fortresses.
Pages: [1] 2