Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zeitgeist: Moving forward, crazy or genius or crazy genius  (Read 664 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile

Its 4 am, I just finished watching the movie/doco/whatever Zeitgeist: Moving forward.  This is a free thing, its on youtube in its entirety if you want to check it out.  Its really too late for me to bash out an intelligent post about it.  (or a well punctuated one for that matter)  Anyway, what I really want to know is what people think, is this crazy, a plan for utopia or something in between?

Edit: Oh, and I can see this getting ugly, can we keep the flames down a bit

Edit2:  The utopian dream one, not the 9/11 is lies one
  Edit3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w  Linky, stuff about the utopian society starts at 1h30m
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:15:13 am by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Zeitgeist: Moving forward, crazy or genius or crazy genius
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »

It's the equivalent of the worst of tabloid journalism, purified into a single insipid dose. It originated as the project of an art student who started with his conclusion and made up almost every shred of 'evidence' for his positions merely for theatrical effect. Do not trust anything in those vids without outside evidence, as much of it is merely an invention of the creator's imagination. You'd be just as well off believing the tripe about Obama's birth certificate on World Nut Daily or an article about homeopathy on HuffPo.

I vote neither Crazy nor Genius, but merely Derp.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:55:37 pm by alway »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »

What alway said, with the addition of an army of the kind of people who think listening to George Carlin is profound and lifechanging.
Shoes...

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:59 am »

Alright, so I just watched zeitgeist the movie, and I figure that is what the last 2 posts have been talking about.  What I was more thinking off is the Venus project mentioned at the end of Zeitgeist moving forward, this was apparently dreamed up by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco, who, frankly seems like a damn genius (dropped out of school at 14, taught himself maths/science/engineering and has patents out/helped create some clever stuff, gets thrown into similar piles as Nikola Tesla, da vinci etc). 

Short run on this is cities based on short travel distances  (giant circles, with rings for each need: housing, industry, agriculture, etc) no money, shared non-common tools/equipment, minimal distances for resources to be moved for production/use/manufacture, agriculture within city limits, accurate counts of all resources (planetwide, assuming we only have 1 planet, ergo if there are 1000 units of X on said planet, we have 1000 units of X, cant assume things will sort out once we run out, when its gone, its gone) maintained by computer, ditto for tool/equipment manufacture, building etc.  Another big part of the thing is GDP is basically pointless if people are becoming unhealthy/unhappy from the production, happiness and health being the bigger concerns.
  (yes I get this is probably a utopian pipe dream, but the idea still looks like there are more than a few interesting conversations in it) 

Now at 4 am this struck me as a very DF like society (minus the elf drowning for profit and sock fetishes) so again, ill throw the thing out there and see what happens

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:51 am »

I watched the 9/11 one because it looked more interesting.  I can now say, without a shadow of a doubt, "crazy".