Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tripping Atlas!  (Read 1588 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Tripping Atlas!
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:16 am »

I had an idea at the "Ruining the Circus" thread. What if we dug out the sides of the map, and dropped the whole map on the heads of the demons? Wouldn't that kill them instantly?

Also, would the rock displace the whole magma sea, or would it get "Absorbed" into the semi-molten rock? If it gets absorbed, then that part of the world would be vaporized!

Now that'd be a site to visit as an adventurer!

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tripping Atlas!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:00 am »

Caveins do kill demons, although caving in every z-level of the entire map would probably just crash the game.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:07 am »

You may have to let it sit for a couple days to process, but the results could well be worth it.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:15 am »

yeah.... you'd just collapse the entire cavern system as well, as the ground shifted to fill them in, and your fortress would be cut up badly and not connect to itself.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:42:10 am »

By the way, great subject line!
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:43:13 am »

yeah.... you'd just collapse the entire cavern system as well, as the ground shifted to fill them in, and your fortress would be cut up badly and not connect to itself.
Yeah, the fortress would have to be above ground to work. All the dwarves would starve and/or drown if they are inside.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:44 am »

wouldn't it not matter because they'd just deconstruct anyways? You'd not have a fort afterwards, period.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48:58 am »

wouldn't it not matter because they'd just deconstruct anyways? You'd not have a fort afterwards, period.
I could carve it from the soil and make walls like that.

SAND CASTLE TIME!
By the way, great subject line!
Danke, Danke!
*bows* *bows*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:07 am »

You could go the skyship route.  Technically, the sky is made of floor, sorta.  You cannot build a wall on the topmost Z level, because the floor that the wall creates would interfere with the above "sky floor".  This also means you can build a support at the topmost level, and it will hold up anything under it.  Unlike a normal support, however, it will only support the column directly beneath it, thus making it possible to suspend a large brick, but nothing else.  This can be circumvented with a support chain, as seen from the side:
Code: [Select]
SKY
 I  <-Support with floor underneath
 I  <-Another support, linking to the above floor, not the sky
---<-Regular fortress starts here!
This way, you can hang your fort from the sky and drop the entire map at will.  You'll likely end up with supports on the underside of your fort as the final breaking point, and this means you'll be holding up the entire map by the foundation of your fort at some point.

Do try this on a 2x2.  I tried it on either a 3x3 or a 4x4, can't remember, but digging out a whole Z level really messed with the FPS.  Atom smash your stone often and try to keep your major population locked away from the main map, as their pathfinding will be killer.

Also, as a side note, doing this is supposed to reveal the tiles that fell, so in theory if you did this, you'd know where every mineral and ore on the map was!  Assuming you don't simply drop the entire map into the magma sea, of course...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:06 pm »

You could go the skyship route.  Technically, the sky is made of floor, sorta.  You cannot build a wall on the topmost Z level, because the floor that the wall creates would interfere with the above "sky floor".  This also means you can build a support at the topmost level, and it will hold up anything under it.  Unlike a normal support, however, it will only support the column directly beneath it, thus making it possible to suspend a large brick, but nothing else.  This can be circumvented with a support chain, as seen from the side:
Code: [Select]
SKY
 I  <-Support with floor underneath
 I  <-Another support, linking to the above floor, not the sky
---<-Regular fortress starts here!
This way, you can hang your fort from the sky and drop the entire map at will.  You'll likely end up with supports on the underside of your fort as the final breaking point, and this means you'll be holding up the entire map by the foundation of your fort at some point.

Do try this on a 2x2.  I tried it on either a 3x3 or a 4x4, can't remember, but digging out a whole Z level really messed with the FPS.  Atom smash your stone often and try to keep your major population locked away from the main map, as their pathfinding will be killer.

Also, as a side note, doing this is supposed to reveal the tiles that fell, so in theory if you did this, you'd know where every mineral and ore on the map was!  Assuming you don't simply drop the entire map into the magma sea, of course...
Holy shit. I am so going to make a spaceship with this ^-^

This would be a good "Dead Space" fort, also. I completely obliterate the map (Magma sea is under the world), and then the monsters come out from the world. Then I use my various defenses to destroy the monsters!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »

Just keep in mind that once you do this, you'll be restricted to resources that grow on mud.  Namely rope reed will be your only actual product.  No more stone, wood, metal, or anything.  The exact number of stones your fortress occupies will be the maximum number of stones on the map, and you will very likely be incapable of building your way back down to the floor.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:18:19 pm »

Just keep in mind that once you do this, you'll be restricted to resources that grow on mud.  Namely rope reed will be your only actual product.  No more stone, wood, metal, or anything.  The exact number of stones your fortress occupies will be the maximum number of stones on the map, and you will very likely be incapable of building your way back down to the floor.
Does land grass grow on exposed muddy rock? If so, does it work with muddy constructions?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »

Not above ground, no.  You can DFLiquid some soil onto your fort by messing with the obsidian labels though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

The best you can do is drop the whole map into the SMR at the bottom of the magma sea, as it will absorb everything dropped into it.  It is completely impossible to collapse the map into hell due to the SMR layer.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »

The best you can do is drop the whole map into the SMR at the bottom of the magma sea, as it will absorb everything dropped into it.  It is completely impossible to collapse the map into hell due to the SMR layer.
So the whole world would be vaporized?

WIN!
Pages: [1] 2