Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bones and their uses  (Read 4044 times)

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bones and their uses
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:47:41 am »

I recently formulated a reaction to take bones and make bone blocks, using a similar reaction to one mentioned (I think) over on the S.L.A.D.E modding project, or maybe another slightly whacky modding group. Anyway, I took a reaction that turned vermin remains into crossbow bolts, and, being an amateur modder at best, switched it to produce blocks.
Here is the reaction as it stands:
[REACTION:BLOCK_BONE]
   [NAME:meld bones into bone blocks]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W]
   [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:COOKING]

Now, I can turn out !!Rat Bone Block!! with this, but what tags can I add to prevent it from looping itself? Right now it can make one block, but afterwards will use said block as a reagent and produce nothing more. Noobish, I know, but what do I add to stop this from happening?
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones and their uses
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:28:44 am »

eh, I'll get round to that, but the main issue is the looping.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:26 am »

Do you want it to be corpse pieces or vermin remains that are used?

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:50:33 am »

well, I wanted it to be bones, but it apparently still registers vermin remains as viable targets, hence rat bone blocks. I'm fairly new to this, as I said. My forts are swamped in bones since I use a lot of cage traps and edited dwarven ethics so that the dorfs will make trophies of their foes like in previous versions. Unfortunately, now that I have more bone bolts than I will ever feasibly use, and bone crafts are kinda pointless when I have potters making masterwork pottery crafts and cooks making *Goblin meat roast*, etc, I felt it was time to find/mod something else to do with my festering pile of assorted bone junk.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:08:36 pm by Redgaia »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »

It's somewhere in the reagent line, obviously.  Probably because you didn't specify an item type.  It's looking for "anything vermin" right now, and a vermin corpse and vermin block are both vermin material types.  One of those NONE should be BODY_PART or CORPSE or something similar.  Poke around on the wiki, I've always had trouble with reagents and products but if you look the solution should be obvious enough.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »

It's impossible to look for a specific reagent when using CORPSEPIECE; telling the game to look for anything other than NONE crashes the game. ANY_BONE_MATERIAL is the best you can do.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »

I'm not sure if it works with CORPSEPIECE the way you want, but adding [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] after the reagent line should cause it to to only use body parts rather than items like blocks.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:48 pm »

Ok, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »

The way Otu described may or may not allow stuff like Cow Meat Blocks.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:52:23 pm »

When I think of bones, the first use I think of is for soup, stock, and bone marrow. It would be nice if there were a reaction that rendered bones into useable foodstuffs. For balance reasons, this might render some or all of the bones useless for other reactions (except for the skull), but bones have always been a very important source of nutrition.

As a related aside, bones themselves are mostly solid calcium. Mineable calcium crystals are perfectly edible, as are several forms of rock salt (I'm not recommending eating either of them, by the way! Although, I personally have eaten both, you never know if something is contaminated...Consult a doctor, nutritionist, geologist, etc. etc. before ever doing anything based on anything I write, say, bitch about, sign, communicate through bodylanguage or dance, or tell you to do in that weird penguin dream.).

Anyway, they're perfectly nutritious, wonderfully dwarfy, food additives for our ASCII dwarfs, in any case.
For they would be your masters.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:09 pm »

When I think of bones, the first use I think of is for soup, stock, and bone marrow. It would be nice if there were a reaction that rendered bones into useable foodstuffs. For balance reasons, this might render some or all of the bones useless for other reactions (except for the skull), but bones have always been a very important source of nutrition.

As a related aside, bones themselves are mostly solid calcium. Mineable calcium crystals are perfectly edible, as are several forms of rock salt (I'm not recommending eating either of them, by the way! Although, I personally have eaten both, you never know if something is contaminated...Consult a doctor, nutritionist, geologist, etc. etc. before ever doing anything based on anything I write, say, bitch about, sign, communicate through bodylanguage or dance, or tell you to do in that weird penguin dream.).

Anyway, they're perfectly nutritious, wonderfully dwarfy, food additives for our ASCII dwarfs, in any case.
So is clay. It helps digestion! :3

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

As a related aside, bones themselves are mostly solid calcium.

That is most certainly not true, as calcium is a metal. We don't have metal bones now do we? ;)

They are actually mostly made up of hydroxyapatite (at least the inorganic part is), which is a calcium phosphate mineral. Not exactly solid calcium, although it's more like a salt (all ionic compounds are considered salts).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:51:57 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:37 pm »

As a related aside, bones themselves are mostly solid calcium.

That is most certainly not true, as calcium is a metal. We don't have metal bones now do we? ;)
Cue raw dicking.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:39 pm »

We have calcium derived bones, I assure you. Iron phosphate, for example, is derived from iron - phosphor iron is famously an extremely durable form of iron - and there's enough iron in our blood for it to be potentially affected (messily) by high power magnetic fields. So yes, not only do we have metal bones, we infact have metal blood. Our bodies contain a whole host of metals, and many metals, including calcium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, etc. are absolutely essential for our health.   
For they would be your masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3