Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Militia captain harvesting plants  (Read 1572 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Militia captain harvesting plants
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:08:47 am »

I have a militia captain I just caught outside the fort.. I have no idea why he was there, but his job says he is "harvesting plants"
he has no labor enabled, only recover wounded and feed patient
and another soldier was also out there, but now returning, he is listed "no job"
Im watching him now and he's out harvesting "dense reeds".. he has no labour for this...wtf??
and now he's food hauling..
he just went and took some plump helmets off a farm plot and took them to a barrel..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:21:42 am by crossmr »

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Militia captain harvesting plants
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:47 am »

In the order menu (o) there is an option for all dwarves harvest, you can set that to "only farmers harvest". If i remember correctly, that should stop him.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:31 am »

I always do that, because it raises the farmer's planting skill instead of just all the slackers', causing them to harvest bigger stacks.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

In the order menu (o) there is an option for all dwarves harvest, you can set that to "only farmers harvest". If i remember correctly, that should stop him.
Why would he be harvesting random plants outside? not just the ones on the plots

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:46 am »

Why would he be harvesting random plants outside? not just the ones on the plots

Ever since he was a little boy, he always wanted to be a farmer.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:11 am »

Yet he's stuck in a lousy soldiering job, defending the glorious dwarven fort at the peril of his life.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:54 am »

But he was not the only one, shortly thereafter I caught several of my soldiers suddenly running around outside harvesting plants
there were no special orders for it and they all have their labours disabled.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:44 am »

Yet he's stuck in a lousy soldiering job, defending the glorious dwarven fort at the peril of his life.

but what a job they do. I just sent my new recruits in to battle a caged goblin.. the new recruit was so enthusiastic, he said "Screw the hammer" and bit the goblin in the head, latched on, and shook him around by it.
The goblin couldn't break free.

after he beat him for awhile he he figured he hadn't had enough so he bit and latched on to his lower body and shook him around some more.
that was the killing move.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:47:00 am »

He didn't harvest those dense grass plants and magically converted them into a plump helmet.

This tilesetted DF screenshot is giving me a bleeding eye syndrome, but I see a blue "S" at the top left. I assume that means that some soldiering had been going on; and that would probably explain what he and his soldier buddy were doing outside in the dense grass.

While he was doing this soldiering outside, he noticed that there was a plump helmet ready to be harvested. Apparently, his soldiering duties allowed him to fit some food hauling and farming plot harvesting into his schedule, so he announced that he was now going to harvest some plants, left his position in the dense grass, went to the farming plot and ripped the mushrooms out of the ground, to drag them into the food stockpile.

You should:
1. check the military schedules and alerts and squad orders to understand why they are all covering in that dense grass.
2. consider to go into the options and to turn off the harvesting for anyone but your farmers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:49:16 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:48 am »

Harvesting plants, if permitted for all dwarves, will be done by ANY DWARF regardless of labour permissions. That includes children who technically do not do any work at all.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:56:32 am »

He didn't harvest those dense grass plants and magically converted them into a plump helmet.

I never said he did. I said he first harvested random reed grass outside, 2 or 3 spots actually, then went in and harvested a plump helmet. The question is, why?
He doesn't have the labor enabled. Does the "order" screen override the "labor" screen?

Does "harvest" in the order screen cover harvesting everything on the map, both on farm plots and off farm plots?

Soldiering had been going on, but it was finished. I had broken a siege, and sent them back to the barracks. I moved them there specifically. After I moved them there, I released them to return them to their regularly scheduled training, when I noticed two had gone back outside. I queried them to find one harvesting plants and another returning to the fort with "no job". I then noticed a few minutes later than 2 more soldiers had gone out to do the same thing.

Harvesting plants, if permitted for all dwarves, will be done by ANY DWARF regardless of labour permissions. That includes children who technically do not do any work at all.
Well that's silly. There should be a military toggle for that.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:03:00 am »

You don't understand. The dense grass is completely irrelevant.

As long as you didn't turn your dwarves into grazers, they don't ever touch the grass that grows all over the place.

The soldiers are camping outside because of some botched kill job or patrol point assignment or similar.

Yes, harvesting plants (which refers to the process of plucking a plump helmet out of a farming plot and hauling it into a food stockpile) overrides the food hauling labour. As was said just now, even children and idle nobles will harvest plants. So will your soldiers, if their schedule and soldiering duties allow them the spare time. To turn this off, you need to go into the "o"ptions and look around for the entry "only farmers harvest plants". I don't know in which submenu this is hidden though.

Harvesting shrubs is the plant gathering labour. This is only done if you d-p at the plant, and only done by a dwarf that has his labour enabled. This is done with shrubs, not with dense reed grass.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:14 am »

they were probably outside because that was where their last military position was, dwarves in militlia without jobs(they may loose military jobs for a moment when you cancel orders) tend to go to last orders places. And then he picked harvesting plants job.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:54 am »

You don't understand. The dense grass is completely irrelevant.
No, you clearly don't understand. He was clearly harvesting something outside. After I took that screen shot, he went to 3 or 4 spots outside the main gate, as if he was harvesting something and stayed at them for some time. Then he went inside and went to the farm. I've never seen someone with an active labor screw around like that. When they queue up the labor they go and do it.
This guy and several other soldiers were clearly going outside to do something when they had no business being out there.

they were probably outside because that was where their last military position was, dwarves in militlia without jobs(they may loose military jobs for a moment when you cancel orders) tend to go to last orders places. And then he picked harvesting plants job.
No, I moved them to the barracks before I released them from their orders. Their last station was in the barracks, not outside, I already said that.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:39 am »

But he was not the only one, shortly thereafter I caught several of my soldiers suddenly running around outside harvesting plants
there were no special orders for it and they all have their labours disabled.

Hmmm.  You might want to make sure these soldiers aren't harvesting "alternative medicines" for "mind-altering demonstrations".
Pages: [1] 2