Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No water source"  (Read 1606 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"No water source"
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:43 am »

(Moved to a new thread since the old one was not clearly named)

I'm getting messages like: "Nurse Tomussizir Woodcrafter cancels order Clean Patient: no water source"

I don't understand this.  I have two wells, constructed underground, which are definitely situated over non-frozen water squares that are 13/7 deep.  Both wells are located within the hospital burrow the nurse is assigned to, as are orthogonally adjacent access squares and all squares in a path from the hospital to the wells (not a long walk).  The well shows that it's Active.  There are spare buckets in a stockpile in the hospital.  What am I missing?

These wells, (top center) are positioned OK, right?  Any reason they wouldn't count as a "water source"?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, I also checked that I only have orders set to prefer water from water source activity zones, not require them.  Should I make a water source zone that includes the wells?
Randy...

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "No water source"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:11:40 am »

Do that.

Also, check the whereabouts of "Nurse Tomussizir Woodcrafter", if she's actually stuck somewhere behind a wall or behind a broken ramp or behind a raised drawbridge.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:14 am »

I think that worked.  Is that a bug, i.e. if it's set to "Prefer Water Zone" (NOT Water Zone Only) shouldn't a dorf first look for a water activity zone and then, if none are available, use a well or pond instead?  Or is it intended that wells only work if they're in a water zone?
Randy...

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:45:33 am »

Wells are usually a priority water source, do not need a water source designation. Dwarves loooove wells. This might sound dumb, but a well is not a hole in the floor. Needs to be built with a block, bucket, rope, and mechanism. Some have thought all you needed was just a open space
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »

Definitely constructed wells, as in the screen cap above.  I'll check the bug tracker for any wells wierdness.
Randy...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »

I can't recall the last time I made a well. The only place I make water sources are in my hospital, and then it's usually a large pond covered with floor grates designated as a water source.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »

Did the surface water only freeze recently? She may have already been on her way to get water from the brook or another water source when it froze, triggering a cancellation.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:53 pm »

Argh, I thought this was fixed by putting the wells in a water collection activity zone, but one of the nurses is back at it with Clean Patient cancellation spam.

Is there an expert here who wouldn't mind if I sent you a save game and had you take a look?  This is starting to annoy me.  Thanks!
Randy...

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:35:43 pm »

Argh, I thought this was fixed by putting the wells in a water collection activity zone, but one of the nurses is back at it with Clean Patient cancellation spam.

Is there an expert here who wouldn't mind if I sent you a save game and had you take a look?  This is starting to annoy me.  Thanks!

Or is there a different forum better suited to troubleshooting these sorts of issues?  This kind of has my fort on hold now, since I don't want to let a lot of time pass while my hospital ineffectively cares for my wounded militia.
Randy...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:02:58 pm »

I can't recall the last time I made a well. The only place I make water sources are in my hospital, and then it's usually a large pond covered with floor grates designated as a water source.

Wells are bitchin'. Stick a gold chain, marble blocks, masterful bucket and artifact mechanisms up in that bitch and happy thoughts aplenty. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:12:09 pm »

You mentioned that the nurse is in a hospital burrow. If I understand burrows correctly, they limit where a dwarf will try to get items. I'm wondering if the item the dwarf is trying to get (water) is considered to be at the top of the well, or at the bottom. Try expanding your burrow to include the water at the bottom of the well. Or else try just releasing the nurse from the burrow completely and see if that fixes it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:40:34 pm »

Thanks for all the ideas folks.  I have no idea how, but the components of the wells were forbidden, which will do it every time.  I'll know to keep an eye on that in the future.  Thanks again!
Randy...