Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 860039 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1545 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:21 am »

Uh... Kefka?  All your work was in vain;  The hellfarm was on the 'safe' side of the Hellbunker.  All that was taken was a small lobby room that the Monkey demon was sitting in.

I, uh.

I lost the hellfarm really early in the year, while building the duck room.

A couple of dwarves took advantage of the hole in the north wall to go out and loop around to the Monkey Brute's little enclosure after some dropped equipment (Krosan I was among them!) and engaged him. Stupidly, I opened a hole in the hellfarm's fortifications to get in there after they killed him, so that Krosan I and the recruit that killed the demon could come home and get healed up, because damned if we didn't need military dwarves.

The rest, of course, is history; a couple of fire haunts blitzed through the hole, roasted Krosan I and lit up the recruit too (he later died of injuries), and we lost a third of the military pacifying them. I built a wall to seal the hellfarm off from the rest of the fort just in time to stop another haunt from getting in through that.

Also the cat butchery, also me. I, uh. Used DT to set most of the non-named non-legendary dwarves to butchery, then designated a bunch of cats for clearing out. I had to, since I was opening the sealed cat/duck breeding chamber to get the ducks for the DUCKOTRON.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:07:59 am by kefkakrazy »
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 23, 2012, 03:25:57 am »

I'm really not sure if this was ABSOLUTE WIN or not.  Early on in the fort, this carnage and demon-reclamation would have been cool, but after everything else, it's depressing.  It would suck for Deathgate to die a slow death through simple attrition. 

I'd like to be re-dorfed.  If it was possible, I'd like to have been re-dorfed as a duck.  AS ALL THE DUCKS.  They last longer than the dwarves. 

But if not, well, it's time for a change of pace.  Dorf me as Baelor the Barbarian.  Axedwarf, no armor, but send my guy to the upper surface.  Put him on hunting duty.  Yes, axe-hunting is probably a bad idea, but if Baelor the Barbarian succeeds, it would be cool.  If he ever becomes strong enough on the surface, send him down to the flaming depths of hell, with the soldiers. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

You can always count on Kefka to bring the bloodshed.

Seriously I thought my last reign was brutal.  As more and more time goes on, Deathgate is starting to resemble Europe after WW1.

EDIT:

Just opened up the save, all have to say is:

Fuck.

I do NOT envy the person who has to clean this mess up.

Thanks. Thank you oh so very much. I'm downloading and trying to find what is where. I'll probably try to stabilize the patient that DeathGate has become. A dabbling surgeon like me should be able to.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

I didn't leave it in THAT bad of shape... <_<

It's more or less secure now, I think, though you may wanna check and make sure there's no way for a flyer to path in.

Quite honestly, forging a pile of bolts and drafting all the non-dorfed non-legendary cannon fodder into marksdwarf squads will probably, realistically, allow you to reclaim the bunker for now.

It's just that I have little experience working with militaries recently, have never breached hell...

Yeah, bit of an incompetent overseer here
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:56 am »

Don't worry. My idea of a military is also like draft Marsdwarves and then outwait the enemy behind fortifications. I'll try to come up with something.

So I'll start checking the layout of Lower DeathGate and then plan how to stabilize and reclaim the Hellish Fields.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 23, 2012, 12:25:34 pm »

Just watch out for that assassin bug. I don't know how dangerous the saffron demons are, but that assassin bug is a badass and he's only down one leg.

We should totally build catapult batteries in hell and have a never-ending constant stream of boulders flying around. Teams of legendary siege operators.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:18 pm »

Just watch out for that assassin bug. I don't know how dangerous the saffron demons are, but that assassin bug is a badass and he's only down one leg.

We should totally build catapult batteries in hell and have a never-ending constant stream of boulders flying around. Teams of legendary siege operators.
I like it! Only thing is, that would require the aforementioned ground-floor fortifications.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 23, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

On Deathgate II, steps will be taken to make a working military from embark.  Hopefully proper application of the teaching skill should speed up training.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Teh_Idort

• Bay Watcher
  • Oi u gobber.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:25 pm »

On Deathgate II, steps will be taken to make a working military from embark.  Hopefully proper application of the teaching skill should speed up training.

What we should do is operate like the Spartans in 300.

Send out the military 1 at a time versus a wolf or something. And if they survive, Allow them to be part of the official military.

Also, I know danger rooms are out. Are Gyms out too?
Treatment status: Success.
Patient status: Deceased.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »

I see no reason to outlaw pump gyms in DG2, or DG for that matter.

Also a trial by fire... I like that idea.  All of our recruits shall be first trained in the art of wrestling.  Before being accepted as a warrior proper, they must fight an goblin prisoner.  Both shall be naked.  Both shall be unarmed.  If the dwarf wins, he is a warrior of Deathgate.  If the goblin wins, he's goes in the magma.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:02 pm »

Yeah, pump gyms are something that makes a degree of sense. I guess the general sentiment towards danger rooms is that they feel exploitative?

Maybe we SHOULD have them, but with the requirement that they be actually dangerous... I mean, if we can build a military that can survive in a room full of STEEL spears or spikes...

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »

The issue for us wasn't that we felt that danger rooms were exploitative, we felt it would make overwhelming the clowns too easy.  We wanted to make the invasion of hell an actual challenge.  Hence no danger rooms.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:32 am »

Funny that despite being scarred head to toe in blisters, my dwarf still managed to 'take someone to bed recently.'  Playa.

I thought he'd be safe as an armorer, but death by assassin bug is a pretty badass way to go.  Could I get another armorer named 'Kenbo II?"
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:03 am »

Best thing about being a grand master carpenter is being absolutely useless, therefore dining-room bound. That is, until one of you lets them into the actual freaking base.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10:49 am »

Is it really feasible to use catapults in hell?  As awesome as that would be, I'd like to know first before crazily shouting "DORF ME AS A SIEGE OPERATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 175