Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gee, that was dumb of me.  (Read 977 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Gee, that was dumb of me.
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »

If I failed to embark with any fire-safe materials or a pick, can I make a kiln?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Gee, that was dumb of me.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »

Sounds unlikely.

...how do you fail to embark with a pick? Are you some kind of filthy above-ground living human?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

Not that I know of.
What I would do is cut down a bunch of trees, make wooden walls, and wait it out for the first caravan.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »

...how do you fail to embark with a pick? Are you some kind of filthy above-ground living human?
The pick I did on purpose. It's a challenge. The mistake was not bringing a hunk of clay.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:33 pm »

If your first soil layer is clay you might be able to just gather some.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

you need a trade depot/a pile of wooden crap crafts.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:43:41 pm »

If you embarked with any metal bars, you could build a wood burner thingy, to make ash, which you can build smelters, kilns with
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:49:11 pm by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »

Not that I know of.
What I would do is cut down a bunch of trees, make wooden walls, and wait it out for the first caravan.
Yes.  This is what I had to do when I discovered an above-ground aquifer that pushed both miners and both picks into the river one after the other lemminglike
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.