Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1269593 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends - Patch 5.1 - Open the Gates
« Reply #15450 on: March 20, 2016, 06:30:44 pm »

To my knowledge, basically everybody has a different experience with what Elo ranges are nice/mean. It's really odd.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15451 on: March 20, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »

Sounds like it's the changing variable that's causing the difference, then. Maybe they're all roughly equivalent, but different players interact with the ranges in such a way to get different responses, despite the overall atmosphere being the same. Everyone that plays ranked is a particular sort of jackass that brings out the jackass in a different band of Elo, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:42 pm »

My point got buried in that paragraph - has anyone had success carrying themselves out of bronze soloqueue by playing support? I'm thinking that switching my preferred queue roles from jungle/fill to jungle/mid might give me more influence over the outcome of the game. I'd got into the habit of filling last season, which usually made me an asset in champ select, but queueing fill simply gets you a shorter queue time this season (and support role perhaps 90% the time).

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: March 20, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »

It's a myth that every game is carryable, and it's a myth that supports cannot carry games. If you're soloqueueing, your best bet is to go as a "support" like Brand or Annie and just murder everything yourself. If you're playing with someone you trust or you hit the level of play where carries are capable of right clicking on things, you can play defensive supports and just protect them all day every day and set them up for easy kills and win that way.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15454 on: March 20, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »

There's usually at least 1 person who doesn't suk (right????).

heh
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: March 20, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »

It's a myth that every game is carryable, and it's a myth that supports cannot carry games. If you're soloqueueing, your best bet is to go as a "support" like Brand or Annie and just murder everything yourself. If you're playing with someone you trust or you hit the level of play where carries are capable of right clicking on things, you can play defensive supports and just protect them all day every day and set them up for easy kills and win that way.

This, so much. Supports can carry just as well as any other role, the important point is always that you play a champion and a role that you're confident with.

In particular, if you've got some awareness of how to counter-pick, that alone can carry you in lower divisions. I duo'd in normals with someone I know yesterday. I picked Top/Fill and ended up playing Support. My ADC was Bronze III Mid main, my Mid was a level 25, my Top was Bronze III, and my buddy on Jungle TF was Bronze IV. I was Silver I with mid-high Gold ELO when I quit playing ranked back in S4.

On the other team, this is what they had:
Top: Bronze III
Jung: Bronze V
Mid: Silver IV
ADC: Level 10
Supp: Unranked, 1 loss in S4, 24 games played and a 58% loss rate in S3.

So it was basically as Bronze as you get, short of a true Wood League full Bronze V match. One player on each team wasn't even at level 30. Their one Silver was playing Yasuo mid (an easy carry position, laning against a player below level 30), while our one Silver was playing Support. As soon as they locked Sona I picked Leona. I told Varus to hard-push, and as soon as we hit level 2 I all-inned Sona, giving him the kill. At around 5:30 we shoved all the way into tower and dove; I picked up a double and moved into their Gromp brush to recall. TF had chased Voli into the river brush and the latter flashed over the wall; I was almost dead but outplayed and secured the triple. A bit later, I brought Varus to mid, we shoved Yasuo out of lane and forced the tower.

Over the while or so, Yasuo got pretty fed. I started farming (in part because barely anyone on my team bothered to clear lanes) and itemized against him. Every teamfight was shit, people got caught constantly, but I focused on waveclear and killing Yasuo. They ran it back really heavily up until I got a good engage at Baron and we Aced them. A few minutes later, Yasuo misplayed, I caught him, and Kayle was fed enough to clean house. Here's the match.

That's pretty representative of the different ways of carrying in low ELO as support. First: do it yourself. Bully the enemy laners early, go for kills if you can snag them. If you're playing a high-damage support like frost mentioned, keep doing that. If you're playing a tanky support, become unkillable and hope that you have a competent carry (if you do, follow them around and protect them from their own mistakes while setting up kills for them). If you're playing a utility support in low ELO you're fucking dumb. The bottom line is that, like any other role, you have to be a forklift or a dump truck. Either you lift your team up and shove them at the enemy, cleaning up in their wake, or you load them all into your backpack and drive them to victory, come hell or high water.

Don't bother being a team player unless you have a teammate worth playing with. If you do, do what I did with Kayle and give them everything you can. If you don't, focus on waveclear and objectives. The latter is the main reasoning behind the "supports can't carry" myth: many supports don't have good waveclear or objective-taking potential, which means that they're more reliant on having a good teammate to play off of. If you're doing well, don't refrain from farming if nobody else is around to take the CS. Don't be afraid of taking kills either. You might get flamed, but you'll get flamed just as much if the wave pushes into tower, a teammate gets killed shoving it out too far, or a kill escapes because you're playing with braindead morons who can't secure a sure thing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15456 on: March 22, 2016, 08:25:13 am »

Well my cousin carried himself out of bronze and into gold by playing nothing but supports, since he loves supporting and mostly sucked at anything else at the time. Not sure if he soloed all of those games but I think most of them were. And yeah, he just played tanky fuckoff supports that could lock down people and let even the shittiest of players finish them off.

Another point is my game last night where I was Jhin laning with Zyra, we absolutely won our lane, without any outside help, while at the same time our mid and top were competing who would feed harder, jungle was halfway competent but even he couldn't save those two lanes. We lost in the end despite holding on for a good 40 minutes, but it goes to show that you can't really carry everything even if you can delete two of their champs on your own, their super fed ryze is just gonna waddle up to you and delete you with a single combo :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: March 22, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

Mm. If you're going to play a carry in low ELO, it should probably be a bruiser style of carry, like Irelia, Jax, &c. Playing an assassin requires that your team be able to effectively use you deleting a single enemy, and playing a squishy mage or ADC requires that you have a team that can protect you. All the good positioning in the world doesn't mean a thing if your teammates blow all their CC on the enemy Bard and let Darius walk right up to you. The only real exceptions are the Bronze superstars like Akali that let you wipe whole teams if you get yourself fed in lane.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »

Spoiler: Challenjour when rito? (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15459 on: March 24, 2016, 12:49:38 pm »

Hah, it took me a second to get it!

--

To be fair, that wasn't my actual build. Once I hit full build I sold a real item every time I died and bought another damage item. Then I started selling the saner damage items like the BotRK and TF.

On an unrelated note, this is why practicing champs in normals first is a good idea. Illaoi is bad vs. Nasus anyways because of all the free stacks, but after I +6'd her the first time she played really passive, so I was 50%ing people by the 20 minute mark.

Also CDR on Sheen is fucking amazing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

I always love the new champ release weeks. Nobody knows how to play the new champs with 8 skills and 27 passives, and everyone insists on playing them.

3. Run Resize Enable

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: March 24, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »

I always love the new champ release weeks. Nobody knows how to play the new champs with 8 skills and 27 passives, and everyone insists on playing them.

The Aurelion I got last game was actually pretty good. At least one teamfight outside our base wall was singlehandedly won by his little spinning star things. It was still tense because their Nasus had ~600 stacks and everyone and their dog got a ZZ Portal, but Space-fish-dragon still carried us.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: March 24, 2016, 08:45:47 pm »

Aurelion Swole is actually pretty chill as far as the overloaded kit goes. He has his passive orbit damage thing, his q which is like Anivia's q, his w which makes his passive better, his e which makes him go fast when he goes in a straight line, and his r which is a vanilla knockback nuke. No double passives or anything.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: March 24, 2016, 09:58:46 pm »

Fair, he's not as overloaded as some recent champs. But his kit's damned strong to make up for that. His passive's basically a strong always-on damaging spell that doesn't use mana half the time, his Q is a high-damage nuke with a 2s stun attached, which scales from short-ranged single-target to super-large super-long-ranged depending on how long it goes. Granted, he has to burn mana to push his stars out with W, but they're an insane poke/waveclear/kiting tool, especially if you pick up Rylai's. His E is like a combination of Mobi Boots and non-damaging but more versatile Nocturne ult, with the latter on less than a minute CD. His ult's a high-damage nuke plus a massive knockback plus a slow that's nearly an AoE Wither.

Like, any of his Q, E, Passive+W, or R is good enough to be an ult.

That said, I like that he's got multiple viable build paths, thanks to all the stuff those stars can proc, and his solid engage and CC.

3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:01 pm »

You're doing that thing where you list all of a champ's strengths while ignoring all of their weaknesses. Compare/contrast heavily with Swain. Swain gets single target damage and sustain in fights. AS gets more reliable CC and edges out on damage, but that's mostly a build thing.
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1067