Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271666 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Preseason 3 Overhaul
« Reply #10605 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »

I'm not going to claim I'm an expert at this game, so I'm gonna ask a quick question.
I'm eyeing up 3 champions at the moment: Morgana, Swain and Xerath.
Bearing in mind I like to play ranged mages with possibly slight support abilities, do any of you have opinions on any of these champions?
Cheers.
Xerath: Tanky, Powerful, Poke. He's good against certain champs and teams. He's a powerhouse late game. If you learn him, not a lot of people know how to play against him. Does extremely poorly against gap-closers/assassins. Early mana problems. His ultimate is low cd, so use it whenever two or more are grouped up, or one is low. His W is tricky to get right.

Swain: Tanky, Sustained damage, Sustain. He's... okay. If he gets rolling, he's near unstoppable, but it takes a while. He's very support oriented with his slow and snare. Be wary of keeping his ultimate on too long or that you have enough mana to do what you need to do. His sustain is kinda bad, but it is there. I don't play him enough to tell you much more.

Morgana: Sustained damage, Sustain, Pusher. She's a versatile pick. She can escape any gank and is hard to kill thanks to both her shield and sustain. Her ultimate is amazing if you can get it off, but it gets hard without flash up. Her snare is also stupidly good. Plus, she's no longer an instaban. She clears minions really fast. Good against champs that have issues pushing.

Out of all of them, I'd say Morgana. Runner-up is Xerath, but only because he's fun.

Cool, we have 5 people! When I get home I will add everyone and when we get everyone online, we might play a game :) But we should decide a time thats good for everyone to play, I was thinking maybe 3 times a week(or more, or less depending on peoples preferences.) Right now I think maybe 6 PM EST Saturday, 7 PM Wednesday, and 7PM Friday would be good, but if anyone cant do that we can work out other times.

Also, there are more than 5 slots on a ranked team! We wouldn't play with the same 5 people every day, I was thinking a kind of rotation system would be good, but if someone cant make it we could use some people who can back us up. :)
I'm usually on some time after 8 PM CST every day, but occasionally earlier. I'm not sure of which days yet, but I'll let you know then.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10606 on: December 12, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »

I'm not going to claim I'm an expert at this game, so I'm gonna ask a quick question.
I'm eyeing up 3 champions at the moment: Morgana, Swain and Xerath.
Bearing in mind I like to play ranged mages with possibly slight support abilities, do any of you have opinions on any of these champions?
Cheers.
Xerath: Tanky, Powerful, Poke. He's good against certain champs and teams. He's a powerhouse late game. If you learn him, not a lot of people know how to play against him. Does extremely poorly against gap-closers/assassins. Early mana problems. His ultimate is low cd, so use it whenever two or more are grouped up, or one is low. His W is tricky to get right.

Swain: Tanky, Sustained damage, Sustain. He's... okay. If he gets rolling, he's near unstoppable, but it takes a while. He's very support oriented with his slow and snare. Be wary of keeping his ultimate on too long or that you have enough mana to do what you need to do. His sustain is kinda bad, but it is there. I don't play him enough to tell you much more.

Morgana: Sustained damage, Sustain, Pusher. She's a versatile pick. She can escape any gank and is hard to kill thanks to both her shield and sustain. Her ultimate is amazing if you can get it off, but it gets hard without flash up. Her snare is also stupidly good. Plus, she's no longer an instaban. She clears minions really fast. Good against champs that have issues pushing.

Out of all of them, I'd say Morgana. Runner-up is Xerath, but only because he's fun.
Thanks a lot, really helpful. I think I'll get Xerath first since I've saved up for so long, then Morgana. Had a lot of fun with her when she was FTP.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10607 on: December 12, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

My suggestion is Swain. He's really, really powerful and fun. He's a complete monster in the right hands, and he's really easy to pick up.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: December 12, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

I've been saving up to rebuy Xerath ever since I sold the poor bugger to get two extra runepages. He's great fun, especially if you don't get an assasin on mid. His early game problems should be solveable easily with some runes and a Chalice right after boots, after that it's just facerolling anything that gets in range.

As far as his W is concerned, I've realised that early game it's best used for unexpected pokes, whenever they think they're safe just W and Q then get out of W before they can react. Later on it's CD should be almost as short as the CD on Q so you can go into it much more often and just fire off a single spell before relocating. Frankly, the only time you do want to take advantage of it's full duration is during, just before or after a teamfight, firing off your entire load into the fray, weakening them before the fight or picking off stragglers.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10609 on: December 12, 2012, 06:07:27 pm »

Xerath's biggest problem is that he's completely reliant on his R to do... basically anything. Normally in lane it's not even worth it to use E ever until you have R up. His second biggest problem is that his W makes him a sitting duck for any skillshots. God help you if there's a Nid or Blitzcrank on the enemy team.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:58 pm »

Xerath's biggest problem is that he's completely reliant on his R to do... basically anything. Normally in lane it's not even worth it to use E ever until you have R up. His second biggest problem is that his W makes him a sitting duck for any skillshots. God help you if there's a Nid or Blitzcrank on the enemy team.
Actually, that's wrong. That's the kind of misleading thing about Xerath. Xerath's E is guaranteed damage. Plus, it's a low to medium cooldown, so poking with it when you have it is fine. E is just single target damage, so you typically want the Q, which is AoE, and on a shorter cooldown. Not only that, but following up with a Q can make someone blow a flash escaping.

His R is great damage, so if you mean he needs his R to win a straight 1v1, then yes, you're correct. However, he hardly needs his R to be useful. In fact, you should be learning his W+E range, because when you cast W, you can still cast E while you're still casting W, so it still goes off, which you can then follow up with a Q. His E+Q is much more useful in general, just because of the low cooldowns. However, to go full on in, you go ERQRR followed by another Q when it's off cooldown.

Also, that's why you don't just W whenever. Nidalee is fine to fight against, but you should avoid playing against Blitzcrank. If you ARE against Blitz, then you just need to be wary of where he is.

You can't underestimate Xerath.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: December 12, 2012, 06:28:21 pm »

Free week, nidalee, etc., so forth. Just played, and initial impression is positive. I kinda' like the way she plays. Neat poke, mini-ward thing with alright debuff, heal+AS steroid, then the melee range burst on squishies or creep waves.Transforming's very fluid. Low CD on pounce makes yeh fairly mobile, t'boot. Everything seemed really inexpensive too, at least in TT. Didn't particularly even notice my mana bar :P

Any general suggestions or common bork-ups to avoid on 'er? Currently saving up for Rumble, but... maybe after that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:30:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

Free week, nidalee, etc., so forth. Just played, and initial impression is positive. I kinda' like the way she plays. Neat poke, mini-ward thing with alright debuff, heal+AS steroid, then the melee range burst on squishies or creep waves.Transforming's very fluid. Low CD on pounce makes yeh fairly mobile, t'boot. Everything seemed really inexpensive too, at least in TT. Didn't particularly even notice my mana bar :P

Any general suggestions or common bork-ups to avoid on 'er? Currently saving up for Rumble, but... maybe after that.

Build hybrid, if you build pure AP your not gonna have any late game presence

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10613 on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

Actually, if you build pure AP you have tons of late game presence.

Just only on carries.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10614 on: December 12, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

Just went 27 and 5 with Teemo :D. That's the first time in almost six months I've played PvP and not been totally wrecked with him.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »

I played a game as Warwick. I think he can actually start boots in the new jungle. I did machete because I didn't want to risk it, but I was at really high health the entire time and didn't use any potions.

BoRK is trash on him, by the way. I bought it lategame and hardly got any autoattacks off because my carries were doing that for me. It's no better than bloodrazor was.

edit: the SDSD page is up
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:26:27 pm by penguinofhonor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10616 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »

So I played this again yesterday (which to me was this morning) for the first time in several months.  I wasn't really interested in the game, but wanted to do something with my wife & friends who are still addicted to it.

I see they've taken many more large steps in the direction of nerfing defensive items and buffing offensive ones.  Mundo, my favorite character and the only one I ever bothered to drop money on a skin for, now seems completely worthless unless I try to develop an entirely different play style.  Regrowth pendant gone.  Force of Nature gone.  Warmogs nerfed.  Three core items right there.  Armor universally nerfed.  WTF.  Why do this game's devs hate sustainability and survivability so much?  It seems like there's nothing to this game but who gets the drop on who.  A champion appears!  You have some equivalent of flash or hard cc or you're dead in less than two seconds, even if you're a tank!  Lurk lurk lurk pounce!  Push!  Repeat.

Bah... probably never playing this again.  Just wanted to fume at the, in my opinion, horrible game design.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10617 on: December 12, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »

... are you playing a different game than me? I've tanked super hard in the last few days on multiple champions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10618 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:21 am »

... are you playing a different game than me? I've tanked super hard in the last few days on multiple champions.

With who, and building what?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:47 am »

Hecarim, Amumu, Warwick. I'm not even building all defensive items.

Spirit of the Ancient Golem on all of them. Wit's End and Spirit Visage on Warwick, Aegis on Amumu (that game ended quickly), and Warmog's and Spirit Visage on Hecarim. Basically if you have any healing, go SV since it's been buffed. If you need support or AOE defense go Aegis-> Bulwark, if you need health go Warmog's because they put the FoN passive on the item it's always wanted to go on, then grab Liandry's Torment and Abyssal Scepter on magic damage tanks and Black Cleaver on physical damage tanks. Also Iceborn Gauntlet on anybody who can use a sheen.

Sunfire is still great (Irelia with Sunfire+Iceborn seems like an awesome tanky build), Ohmwrecker is good, Frozen Heart is good... you know what, everything is still good. I'm just listing off everything defensive because nothing is that bad.

Heck, the two traditional "tank" positions of support and jungle got gold buffs that let them get even tankier than before. You can actually play tanky Taric and help your team out defensively lategame instead of exploding slightly more slowly than the carry. I've seen that work out great.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1067