Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271097 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - End of Season 2
« Reply #10470 on: November 21, 2012, 02:27:34 am »

Sure sounds like Malz would be a terror.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:43:48 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: November 21, 2012, 02:30:09 am »

I don't think you guys get it. *Everyone* is a terror with BFT. Hell, even Annie is.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:03 am »

I think for the next patch BFT is getting its damage changed from 5% to 3.5%, the max stacks are going down from 25 to 18, and they're making it not apply on every tick of Singed/Teemo's poisons.

Also I'm mourning the Frozen Fist -> Iceborn Gauntlet name change. They couldn't even call it Glacial Gauntlet! It has lost out on the alliteration and the manliness.

BFT isn't fun. It's downright abusive. It's a massive misstep for itemization to take. It's especially abusive on Singed and Teemo because of the way it interacts with DoTs like theirs. Each and every tick procs BFT individually, meaning getting hit even once can shave off 10% of your hp.
Singed's Trail is horrific with it, because as long as you're in his poison, he's shaving off massive amounts of your hp each second.
Teemo's *Shrooms* are even more abusive, because he can completely block off health packets or important map objectives with it.

Fiddlesticks has fun with BFT. An additional 25% of your max health from just drain? Don't mind if I do.

This isn't how the ability works. It doesn't stack duration, it refreshes it. So from Fiddlesticks' 5 second drain you get 8 seconds of the DoT for 13.3% of their health.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:56 am »

I think for the next patch BFT is getting its damage changed from 5% to 3.5%, the max stacks are going down from 25 to 18, and they're making it not apply on every tick of Singed/Teemo's poisons.

Also I'm mourning the Frozen Fist -> Iceborn Gauntlet name change. They couldn't even call it Glacial Gauntlet! It has lost out on the alliteration and the manliness.

BFT isn't fun. It's downright abusive. It's a massive misstep for itemization to take. It's especially abusive on Singed and Teemo because of the way it interacts with DoTs like theirs. Each and every tick procs BFT individually, meaning getting hit even once can shave off 10% of your hp.
Singed's Trail is horrific with it, because as long as you're in his poison, he's shaving off massive amounts of your hp each second.
Teemo's *Shrooms* are even more abusive, because he can completely block off health packets or important map objectives with it.

Fiddlesticks has fun with BFT. An additional 25% of your max health from just drain? Don't mind if I do.

This isn't how the ability works. It doesn't stack duration, it refreshes it. So from Fiddlesticks' 5 second drain you get 8 seconds of the DoT for 13.3% of their health.

Oh, yeah, I'm a doofus. I forgot it was like Brand's passive and not a full 5% per each tick.
Also often called Boowells.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: November 21, 2012, 05:25:04 am »

Singed is downright stupid on Twisted Treeline with Blackfire Torch. You can build tanky as hell, get a large chunk of AP and do ~200 damage a second +5% of their max health every 3 from it getting triggered on his poison.

It scares me to think of what he would do with a Seraph's Staff.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:19 am »

Mwhahaha Jungle Alistar with Frozen Fist, soon my pretty, soon.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: November 21, 2012, 08:33:55 am »

I recently got back into League after Season 2 ended. I somehow managed to get to 1600 last season, securing that ever so sweet War Hero Janna skin. This season however, different story. I lost most of my placement matches, couldn't win a single one after the soft reset. I went something like 0/7 before my first win, it's awful and I felt pretty horrible about it.

Fortunately, I got my muse back yesterday and proceeded to win quite a few games in a row. I was already pretty low down in the elo ladders, but playing Jungler seems to be helping. The opposite happened today, just a flux of VICTORY and DEFEAT one after another. Some games, I'm invigorated with energy, my team knows what to do, we're securing objectives, etc, etc, the other half of games seems to play out according:

We do great early game, I've ganked more times than I really should. They however eventually take objectives while my team waddles in the jungle looking for farm. One tower, two, three towers and now we're behind. I managed to make it to almost 1300 but then dropped back down to 1250.

There are also those frustrating games where people call out roles and they're last in champion select. There's been quite a few times where I has to play support otherwise we didn't have one.

I know that through the law of large numbers, I'll eventually get there if I am truly indeed there, the journey is just incredibly frustrating.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:09 am »

I tend to call out roles, regardless of where I am in champion select. I find it to be a bonus if I'm lower down the champ select, as it seems that many people don't understand champ-swapping, and go the first two picks katarina/pantheon.

But I assume that as I move further up towards 1350/1400 I won't have to deal with that as much.

Throughout the various Elo levels, your play style really changes quite drastically.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:17 am »

I call out roles I prefer but not the 'OMG let me jungle or i QQ!' I don't even like the people who go 'ahmagad im amasing at mid lemme mid and we auto win' especially as they seem to be the worst.

Lot of fragile ego's in LoL i feel, when I play bad I know it and I normally apologies but it's really annoying when it seems like your the only one with a clue on a team, doubly worse when you are somehow blamed for the loss as well even though your the only one playing well.

It's nice playing those games though where everything seems to go smoothly, had a few great games yesterday as jungle ali. No good games today but it was really my fault in one of them.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:08 pm »

I don't get how you guys are in awe for BFT (BlackFire Torch). Have you seen Blade of the Ruined King ? ADs have it much better. Also, i play almost only Riven in the new TT, and omg, she is so OP on this map it's not even funny.

By the way, according to the preseason changes, my main champion (Tristana) will have a huge indirect buff, especially the way i build her now. Since AS is now more expensive, she will have an edge over many other ranged ADs, since she has her built-in AS steroid, and since AD is now cheaper it's going to be even easier. They also said that higher tier items will now be less cost effective than they are now, and that's also good for me because i now tend to buy many small items until my 6 slots are full, instead of going for the big IE first like many people. Anyways, there are so many changes, that it's hard to forecast how the balance of all the champs will be affected. But i'm pretty sure that it will shake the current meta.

On the topic of Tristana, i've always had this distant dream of building her differently, to take advantage of her great AP scaling, while remaining efficient in lategame, and i think that i've managed to do it (or maybe i was just lucky and played against scrubs). Anyway, what i did is i changed my runes to AP glyphs, and i buy bilgewater cutlass and sheen early. I can upgrade the cutlass to a gunblade for more AP and nice spellvamp + better active and Sheen can upgrade to Trinity. Sheen makes harass with explosive shot+autoattack much better and the AP gives an edge in burst damage (plus mana is always welcome early on). My third item is usually IE for now, but i'll probably keep experimenting. The result i had when playing, was a much smoother laning phase, a much stronger mid game, and not all that much tradeoff lategame. Let's be honest, lategame Tristana is so good that even with a bit less damage she is still godly, and more importantly, this build makes me much more useful in mid and early, meaning i'm much more likely to win before lategame anyway.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:11:56 pm by Sirian »

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: November 21, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »

I don't get how you guys are in awe for BFT (BlackFire Torch). Have you seen Blade of the Ruined King ? ADs have it much better. Also, i play almost only Riven in the new TT, and omg, she is so OP on this map it's not even funny.

By the way, according to the preseason changes, my main champion (Tristana) will have a huge indirect buff, especially the way i build her now. Since AS is now more expensive, she will have an edge over many other ranged ADs, since she has her built-in AS steroid, and since AD is now cheaper it's going to be even easier. They also said that higher tier items will now be less cost effective than they are now, and that's also good for me because i now tend to buy many small items until my 6 slots are full, instead of going for the big IE first like many people. Anyways, there are so many changes, that it's hard to forecast how the balance of all the champs will be affected. But i'm pretty sure that it will shake the current meta.

I'm slightly impressed with Blade of the Ruined King, but I want to say that it's too, well... conditional. It's not particularly great if you rush it at all, and next season, it's being changed to physical damage, IIRC. To be honest, until I see numbers, I'd prefer Frozen Mallet for the tankiness and some other lifesteal option.

I've actually been wanting to learn Tristana for a while. She's definitely one of my favorite AD carries, but I'm absolute shit with her and at the ADC role. I actually got a smurf to hopefully learn the AD carry role, but it's still under level 20, so PvP games are a bit chaotic.

I wouldn't say that the attack speed changes are too great, because most carries have some sort of attack speed steroid or another. It would more affect bruisers like Irelia and Shen, who like on-hits. As to all the other items, I don't think the item changes will benefit Tristana that much at all, since her lategame is where she shines and as you said, the higher tier items are going to be less cost-effective.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »

I've actually been wanting to learn Tristana for a while. She's definitely one of my favorite AD carries, but I'm absolute shit with her and at the ADC role. I actually got a smurf to hopefully learn the AD carry role, but it's still under level 20, so PvP games are a bit chaotic.

I wouldn't recommend smurfing, what i do personally when learning a role/champion, is i play a small number of coop vs ai games, (maybe even some custom games too) then maybe some Twisted Treeline and Dominion, because they are short and let me get a feel for the champion, and then i play some normal games in SR and try to pick that champion/role as often as possible, and i try not to suck too much.

When playing Tristana i usually start with boots and potions, but sometimes i take a doran's blade, and i pick the explosive shot as first skill (then i lvl jump and explosive shot + ulti until lvl 7-8 when i start putting points in rapid fire). Then once in bottom lane, what i do is last hit minions only until i feel like i can push to the tower to chip away some health or destroy it (usually better if the bot bush is warded and at least 1 bot enemy is not there).

During the laning phase, except last hitting, i do a lot of moving back and forth, staying behind minions or sometimes even further away depending on who i'm facing, but i try to always be in range to get xp when a minion dies, and getting the last hit as often as possible, while using explosive shot + autoattack (sometimes even 2x autoattack) to harass.
It's important not to spend all your mana doing that, but if you can keep their hp down, you'll provide more opportunities to get a kill (when your support initiates and then you jump on top and use all your burst dmg it usually works), but also you'll be able to destroy the tower faster because they'll go back to base, and if they have a healer, he'll tend to be low on mana if he has to heal all the time (sometimes he won't even be able to keep up), and then there's the psychological aspect, if they fear you because of all the harass, they'll be less problematic to deal with than if they're confident because you play very safe.

There's often a moment, when trying to get early kills as Tristana, where you want to jump on top of a guy, and you want him to run away because that means he's not attacking you while doing that, and for 2.5 seconds he'll be slowed by the jump AOE, but if he does attack you back, you have to know when it is safe to just stand there and trade blows, and when you have to run away (but then it was probably a mistake to jump in the first place, because jumping back is a lot safer but now it's going to be on cd). To stay alive, it's important to keep ready to use rocket jump instantly when for instance you see a Taric using his stun on you or something like that, but most of the time just moving normally while staying just outside of other people's range and watching the minimap for gankers is enough.

Knowing when to use your ultimate is another important part, i found that i often use it to help someone else escape by pushing back gankers (the push-back effect has a small aoe so it can push a pack of enemies), but sometimes it's also good to use it in reverse, to push someone in your turret, teammates, or simply further down your lane to give them more ground to cover to go back to safety while you attack them, and in rare occasions it can be used to finish people, but you really have to use it only when someone would otherwise escape your range and they have like 2 hp bars left, because in many situations you can push them to safety with low hp (but then again sometimes if they have dots -damage over time- on them, like explosive shot and ignite or red buff, they will die anyway). For summoner spells i tend to use teleport + heal, for map control and safety/sustain and to waste no xp/gold in lane, or sometimes i want to clear a big minion wave or push an undefended tower and teleport is just the right tool for that. Mostly i use those spells because Tristana has alternatives to flash (her jump), exhaust is often too short ranged and you have a slow already in your jump aoe, and ignite can be replaced by explosive shot when you want a dot with anti-healing properties (plus, once again, ignite is often too short ranged to use reliably). The heal can often be used to save a teammate or fill back everyone's hp a little bit during an important push, so it's still good lategame, and it's obviously useful in early.
For items you'll want the usual AD stuff like Berzerker greaves + Infinity's edge, Phantom dancer, Bloodthister, Last whisper if they build armor and a survivability item for lategame like Banshee's veil, Frozen mallet, Guardian angel or even Warmog sometimes. Mostly you'll want to buy the smaller items first like BF sword, Vampiric scepter, Zeal, Pickaxe, etc..

Oh and as you'll see, lategame you can destroy people by just frowning at them, but you're still very vulnerable to burst damage and CC so it's often required to stay behind and play safe during teamfights, unless people are so scared of you they just run away or they lack the burst/cc to beat your raw damage and lifesteal.

That's the basic guideline, anyway, after that it's mostly practice and soon you'll understand how she works (she's really simple actually).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:49:52 pm by Sirian »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:57 pm »

Yeah, I've played my share of games, and I still play a bot game every time I get my hands on a new champion.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: November 23, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

Useful stuff to know.

Thanks for that. A bit long-winded, but eh. One of the main problems I'm having with AD carries is just all the micro. I'm experienced enough to know how to build ADs, but I'm reasonably bad with auto-attack poking and my last hitting is in shambles occasionally because I've played a lot more support and mid AP than anything else. I have okay game sense, but it's mostly adjusted for tankier characters or burst mages.

Incidentally, on that burst mage note, why do I like Syndra so much? By all rights, I am probably terrible with her, especially since I'm terrible with similarly-played champions like Cassiopeia and Karthus (It's that darned Q!). But again, this is another champion that I want to learn so badly. She even feels a bit like Brand, one of my other favorite AP champs. Though, I probably should've saved the 6300 IP for Nami, since I play more support nowadays.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: November 23, 2012, 01:06:00 pm »

I recently got back into League after Season 2 ended. I somehow managed to get to 1600 last season, securing that ever so sweet War Hero Janna skin. This season however, different story. I lost most of my placement matches, couldn't win a single one after the soft reset. I went something like 0/7 before my first win, it's awful and I felt pretty horrible about it.
I just started playing ranked at the end of season 2 - I ended up at 1000 rating after 4 wins and 9 defeats. Not great, but I learned an immense amount in just a few games (mostly playing support and jungle, some AD carry). Still building up the gumption for the new season's placement matches.. the question is whether to just launch myself into them, or to prepare myself (and build some confidence) with a few more normal draft games.
I wouldn't recommend smurfing, what i do personally when learning a role/champion, is i play a small number of coop vs ai games, (maybe even some custom games too) then maybe some Twisted Treeline and Dominion, because they are short and let me get a feel for the champion, and then i play some normal games in SR and try to pick that champion/role as often as possible, and i try not to suck too much.
For the most part, I play against bots. There's the argument that it may impair your performance against humans - I would say it's helped me learn the champions and their item builds in a somewhat neutral environment. If I were to eschew the bots entirely, I would probably play less overall until I learn to enjoy games against humans a bit more.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1067