Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271079 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Mid July Patch / Zyra - 1.0.0.143
« Reply #9465 on: August 06, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »

Yeah but if you are dominating a lane to a point where you force your opponent to back more often/win clashes then it can be advantageous to keep the lane as is and freefarming instead of destroying it, allowing the opponent to freefarm further within their lane.

See, that's been the current philosophy, but Blaze just turned that on its head. You don't give them time to free farm. If you take their turret, you go to a neighboring lane and take that turret. Then you do the same with the last tower, and now you've got map control for dragon advantage, buff control, and barons.

Trust me, everyone was trying to take advantage of their missing towers to freefarm but Blaze just gave them too much pressure.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: August 06, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »

Yeah but if you are dominating a lane to a point where you force your opponent to back more often/win clashes then it can be advantageous to keep the lane as is and freefarming instead of destroying it, allowing the opponent to freefarm further within their lane.
Though I can see how destroying all 3 would work, also ruining the life of the enemy jungler as well.

Either way I more then welcome changes in the meta strategy. It's quite dull. Infact I've been having a lot of fun doing 1v1s playing somewhat controversial line ups. You'd never find out if you just keep doing the same standard line ups.
I've found for example I beat a lot of squishy mage and tanky bruiser without gap closers as draven in lane. Also the regular line up where I play cass vs an enemy mage turns out the least favorable in most cases, getting greatly improved chances against bruisers and ADs.
Stuff like that, if only one could convince people to try new things easier.

The thing is, the changes will only happen in higher Elo and competitive play. Lower Elos barely know how to take control of the lane and keep control of the lane to starve the enemy. This type of competitive play is actually probably disastrous for the lower Elo people who use it because they don't keep track of the minimap. Many of them don't even know how to jungle, let alone knowing the jungle times for all the various jungling champions and the prediction skills necessary to prevent being ganked, even with wards. They'll try the tournament-style, sure, but then they'll be ground down by the passive farm-until-20 strategies, which are much safer and easier to execute.

Hell, I end up playing support a lot, so I know how bot lane goes. I would say around 60-75% of my AD carries push needlessly. I actually thank my lucky stars whenever I get a Miss Fortune partner because they almost always know to react immediately when I go in (as an aggressive support) and to not push the lane unnecessarily. I even try to get my partners to push to the tower when the bot lane leaves so that the lane resets and it doesn't even happen. Some of them are even afraid of being ganked despite two wards. When I play Leona, my favorite thing to do is to get one or two kills before level 7, and then if the jungler tries to gank, I kill the effing jungler. IF I get my carries to react, that is. But, usually, they don't.

Yes, Blaze have defeated the passive farm-until-20 minutes strategy, but they're also competitive players who know how to smartly push without being punished and how to trade properly in lane. Most of the more passive supports like Sona and Soraka at my Elo don't even know how to trade properly, let alone push intelligently. I'm not sure I'm even good enough to try Blaze's pushing strategy. I understand that I get tunnel vision many times still, so it's still best for me to continue the passive lane farming because I do understand the champions that I play and I can win mirror matchups pretty frequently.

TL;DR: Blaze are competitive players. The average players so far as I've seen usually don't even know how to support properly, if my Sona games are any indication. I would actually encourage them to try Blaze's strategy, because I'm looking to learn the jungle better and pushing makes for easy ganks. They'd be taken out easily by an OddOne Maokai build and an early Oracle's. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to me. I like Maokai.
Also often called Boowells.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »

I wouldn't underestimate how well low elo players learn. I wouldn't have expected them to get into counterjungling after M5 either, but suddenly everyone's doing that.

Yeah, it's not as coordinated or skillful as the tournament players, but the thing is, their opponents aren't as coordinated or skillful either. I think we'll start seeing this some.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »

If you are on the NA servers, [DFC] is looking for more people to scrim with, normals and ARAM.

Add me, KaelGotRice, or join us in the teamspeak - info below.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »

I just watched the first TSM/Azubu Blaze game from the recent big tournament.

Guys, this is going to be one of those tournaments that has metagame repercussions at all elos. The biggest thing Azubu did to shake up the normal metagame was early pushing. They passively farmed for like three or four levels, and then they just started pushing down towers and snowballing off of that advantage. The twenty minute farm fest is probably over.

This is something that happens at "low elo" all the time.  It wasn't many pages ago that I was talking about how Singed Top should be tearing down 2nd tower by 20 min.  Every time a lane turret gets hit, its team loses something forever.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:18 pm »

Actually, if the team has heimer, he can afk near the tower and heal it back up.

That passive so op man.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »

Big response on frustration with Riot's communication.

I feel like the most important bit is
Quote from: Tryndamere
A great example is pricing. We haven't been fully happy with our pricing communication, approach and execution because believe it or not, pricing is not something that receives much attention from most senior people at the company. We're focused on creating awesome - like developing E-sports, building game features, improving our content or intellectual property, building the organization, launching internationally, etc.

Pricing, aside from us saying "let's have the game be free forever and never sell power" has largely been an after thought because our view is that if we create awesome, then our players will reward us. That has held true.

Thus, if we botch the retirement of skins, or don't have enough sales, it is really due to organizational momentum and the lack of real leadership driving a directional change based on your guys feedback. The good news is, for those who care about pricing and those types of things, is that we have real, dedicated leadership here now who can focus on doing a better job of ensuring your needs are better met from that perspective.

Now, that doesn't mean that all skins will now cost 0 IP, or something equally drastic, but what it DOES mean is that there will be a lot more careful consideration, focus and communication with you all about what we're doing there.

Basically Riot has had this "we don't talk about pricing" ideal in the past because they didn't want to have to cause "riot is greedy" drama. But then they realized that not talking about pricing leads to pricing problems not getting dealt with.

I'm actually really hopeful about this now. Apparently it's a complex issue, but hopefully we'll be seeing good things now that they've got some momentum going in marketing to actually solve the problems they've got.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: August 06, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »

Speaking of the TSM vs. Azubu games, does anyone have any videos of them?

Edit: nevermind, found it
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:57:01 pm by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:26 pm »

Maybe share? Incidentally, is there some kind of link repository for competitive stuff, maybe even somewhat organized? It's kinda' fun to watch, but being stuck on an iPad it's hard to really navigate YouTube, and most other online stuff just doesn't work (no flash :-\).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: August 06, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »

Maybe share? Incidentally, is there some kind of link repository for competitive stuff, maybe even somewhat organized? It's kinda' fun to watch, but being stuck on an iPad it's hard to really navigate YouTube, and most other online stuff just doesn't work (no flash :-\).
This might be of use, a calendar of upcoming games, with links to streams and leaguepedia pages:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=hfkki4g21l8t7lojuhjps6abmk%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

Here's the MLG VOD page:
Standard definition VOD will be made available to everyone on MLG.tv/vod on Wednesday,  August 8.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: August 07, 2012, 07:49:03 am »

Is it just me or does Dianas CS show how impossibly big her breasts get with her other skin?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:44 am »

Is it just me or does Dianas CS show how impossibly big her breasts get with her other skin?

I thought it was kinda funny. I bet the boob-plate version of Diana will sell more than other release skins just because of the difference in sexualization between it and her default skin.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:09 am »

I think that's what happened with Heartseeker Vayne. People saw that she wasn't completely flat chested anymore and jumped at it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: August 07, 2012, 11:03:58 am »

Soo... Diana is Akali with Nocturne's passive?

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »

She's like Akali but with more AOE. And less escaping, but more tanky-set.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 1067