Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271105 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Mid July Patch / Zyra - 1.0.0.143
« Reply #9420 on: August 02, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »

Guess I wasn't careful enough, cause it seemed like he popped out of nowhere time and time again and when he did, it was pretty much instagib. Dead before I even had time to react.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »

Then I imagined five Fiddlesticks bouncing down middle lane, laughed out loud, and went "Oh! That's why they don't allow that!" :P
Imagine 5 Oriannas. "STOP MOVING MY BALL"
"NO THIS IS MY BALL THAT ONE IS YOURS"
"NO IT'S NOT YOU FUCKTARD"
"WHO JUST ULTED? GODDAMNIT"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: August 02, 2012, 03:02:05 pm »

I do believe Xin's *easier* to play now than he was previously. I was terrible with him the first 10-15 matches after I bought him (pre-rework). I got better. Before, he was kind of feast or famine. If you did well early on (and he was built for early game dominance), you snowballed hard. If you got stymied in your lane, you were the red-headed stepchild for pretty much the rest of the game unless you could get on a roll.

Now he's better balanced but lacks that inherent tendency to win early and snowball. Which is a nerf, IMHO.

Feast or famine is not the correct kind of difficulty you want in a champion. It does not result in deep plays or being able to express your skill through the champion. FoF leads to inconsistency.

The thing is, Xin's early game wasn't random. He could be shut down more easily, but that does rely on your lane opponent knowing how to do that and having a champion capable of doing it. Guess what? In high elo draft mode, both of those things are pretty much always true.

The result is a champion that gets worse as players get better. Some people will always talk about how awesome it is to get fed as old Tryndamere, old Twitch, old Evelynn, old Kayle, old Ryze, or any of the other champions that got remade to reduce their feast or famine gameplay. And in pretty much every single case, removing that gameplay was a huge buff that allowed the champion to be played across all skill levels, and allows you to do well based on your skill, not your reliance on your opponent not knowing how to counter you.

That's a buff, in my opinion.

He used to be such an excellent assassin/Tryndamere-YiThingy. Now he's just a darn bruiser/tankyDPS. He has the same frigging build as Darius everytime I see him.

I consider this funny because Darius doesn't typically use a generic tanky DPS build.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: August 02, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

I do believe Xin's *easier* to play now than he was previously. I was terrible with him the first 10-15 matches after I bought him (pre-rework). I got better. Before, he was kind of feast or famine. If you did well early on (and he was built for early game dominance), you snowballed hard. If you got stymied in your lane, you were the red-headed stepchild for pretty much the rest of the game unless you could get on a roll.

Now he's better balanced but lacks that inherent tendency to win early and snowball. Which is a nerf, IMHO.

Feast or famine is not the correct kind of difficulty you want in a champion. It does not result in deep plays or being able to express your skill through the champion. FoF leads to inconsistency.

The thing is, Xin's early game wasn't random. He could be shut down more easily, but that does rely on your lane opponent knowing how to do that and having a champion capable of doing it. Guess what? In high elo draft mode, both of those things are pretty much always true.

The result is a champion that gets worse as players get better. Some people will always talk about how awesome it is to get fed as old Tryndamere, old Twitch, old Evelynn, old Kayle, old Ryze, or any of the other champions that got remade to reduce their feast or famine gameplay. And in pretty much every single case, removing that gameplay was a huge buff that allowed the champion to be played across all skill levels, and allows you to do well based on your skill, not your reliance on your opponent not knowing how to counter you.

I see your point, but I can't help but feel that "equalizing" all these champs takes some of the character and meta-balance out of the game. There's still plenty of carries left in the game (weak early, strong late), there need to be a fair number of 'strong early, mediocre late' characters to counter that. Otherwise everybody takes carries and just tries to farm their way to victory.

Then I imagined five Fiddlesticks bouncing down middle lane, laughed out loud, and went "Oh! That's why they don't allow that!" :P
5 Heimerdingers. "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »

More statistics coming, be warned..
I consider this funny because Darius doesn't typically use a generic tanky DPS build.
If we check out his stats here, we see that the top 4 most popular items are frozen mallet, heart of gold, maw of malmortius and phage, so he is built quite tanky in ranked games at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:17 pm »

I see your point, but I can't help but feel that "equalizing" all these champs takes some of the character and meta-balance out of the game. There's still plenty of carries left in the game (weak early, strong late), there need to be a fair number of 'strong early, mediocre late' characters to counter that. Otherwise everybody takes carries and just tries to farm their way to victory.

I understand, yeah, and I do think there could be more variety, but I don't think old Xin was an example of this.

Xin wasn't a champion that was just difficult to lane with early (like Poppy or Vlad). He was a champion that depended entirely on your opponents' skill and knowledge rather than your own. This isn't a good design, and it leads to bad balance. Hence for the entirety of old Xin's lifetime where he was either super OP and impossible to deal with, or a total pushover if you knew how to counter him.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:51 pm »

That thought is quite old actually. I believe the best one still was All Mid All Blitzcrank.
5 Heimerdingers. "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
See, this is why there should totally be some sort of obscure mode for that. Silliness is one of the best parts of many games!

I'd rather they just removed the idea of carries in general for that, personally. Maybe that'd make the game less strategic or something in the long run, but it's basically a mechanic that says that one person is the team, and whether they're stronger than their counterpart on the enemy team is whether you win the game or not. Trying to fix that by increasing the number of champions whose sole purpose is to stop those people from blooming seems like addressing the wrong part of the problem.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:33 pm »

My login screen isn't working, I press play but nothing shows up. Anyone else having similar problems?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: August 02, 2012, 07:17:50 pm »

Just fired it up to see... no trouble. I am running the admin launcher, if that'd matter for whatever OS you're running.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:35 pm »

My login screen isn't working, I press play but nothing shows up. Anyone else having similar problems?
À friendster had recurring problem like that, he fixed it by reinstalling the game multiple times, then reinstalling adobe reader

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: August 03, 2012, 12:20:00 am »

So, two fairly unrelated questions. Is there a way to filter enemy team chat? I haven't actually ran into any trash talk yet, but it'd be nice to go ahead and preemptively nix it :P I'll be checking the options sometime tomorrow, but if it's some kind of chat command, I might miss it.

Secondly, if an early game has gone poorly for your lane (say you're duo and both 0/4 by the 10-15 min range, something like that.), what's the proper response? "Stop feeding" is unfortunately terrible advice, heh. Is it best to try and switch lanes? Is it even a good idea for someone to swap into a fed lane? What if no one's willing? If you're playing someone that can half-ass it in the jungle, is switching into that role a better idea (assuming it's not taken or you can somehow convince them duo-jungle's a good/less bad idea.), or is trying (perhaps futilely) to keep th'enemy off your tower (mostly by hiding under it, heh) the more useful choice, even if it's likely to cause a few more feeds?

Basically, worse case scenario goes down, what's some good ways to mitigate the damage or at least slow down the snowball?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:59 am »

So, two fairly unrelated questions. Is there a way to filter enemy team chat? I haven't actually ran into any trash talk yet, but it'd be nice to go ahead and preemptively nix it :P I'll be checking the options sometime tomorrow, but if it's some kind of chat command, I might miss it.

The ignore function works fine, but you can disable the all chat in the options menu.
Also often called Boowells.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: August 03, 2012, 12:54:59 am »

Is there a way to filter enemy team chat? I haven't actually ran into any trash talk yet, but it'd be nice to go ahead and preemptively nix it :P I'll be checking the options sometime tomorrow, but if it's some kind of chat command, I might miss it.

Enemy team chat is off by default. It's the option to remove [All] chat. This'll also get rid of the stuff your allies say to the enemy team.

Secondly, if an early game has gone poorly for your lane (say you're duo and both 0/4 by the 10-15 min range, something like that.), what's the proper response? "Stop feeding" is unfortunately terrible advice, heh. Is it best to try and switch lanes? Is it even a good idea for someone to swap into a fed lane? What if no one's willing? If you're playing someone that can half-ass it in the jungle, is switching into that role a better idea (assuming it's not taken or you can somehow convince them duo-jungle's a good/less bad idea.), or is trying (perhaps futilely) to keep th'enemy off your tower (mostly by hiding under it, heh) the more useful choice, even if it's likely to cause a few more feeds?

Basically, worse case scenario goes down, what's some good ways to mitigate the damage or at least slow down the snowball?

Call for ganks. Switch lanes if the person you're switching with is confident they can cover for you. Learning matchups is important here, because it's definitely possible your other lanes could have a better time against your opponent. For instance, AD carries like Ezreal and Varus can manage very well in mid if they need to.

Focus on not getting killed, that should be your primary goal when you're losing.

If your tower is taken, roam around a bit since you've really got nothing to protect. Just make sure that you don't lose your inner turret, and make sure that you're still spending enough time farming that you don't get even further behind. Make sure you're ganking or taking jungle creeps or covering lanes for your teammates to keep up.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: August 03, 2012, 03:51:26 am »

I wish this is how the game sounded.
This is a thing of beauty. I wonder if it'd be possible to actually pull this off? Some sort of dignified Vocaloid perhaps?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 1067