Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1270482 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

Flying Claws/Hook & Chain (Nautilus doesn't count) -- Nautilus totally counts, since he uses it to snare and drag
Flying Claws/Hook & Chain - Also meant this one as a ranged weapon.

It *is* ranged. It's not an autoattack, if that's what you meant. I don't think you'll ever see a ranged autoattack that leaves you with a continuous "line" back to the champion (like a chain would), just because of issues with graphic layers and it could be abused by AS spamming to make it difficult to see the battlefield. That's why even with melee champs who can trigger an ability to make their autoattacks ranged (I'm thinking Kayle and Cho'Gath), it does it in a way that doesn't create a continuous graphic from attacker to target.

Just my opinion.

I am kind of surprised they haven't done a dwarf mining yordle yet though. Pickax weapon, could have a "tunnel" ability that would work like a teleport or fast move, a dynamite attack a la Ziggs, maybe something to do with gold (like TF's passive, or maybe they get a stat boost the more gold they have, thus maybe encouraging them to NOT buy items right away....)
I meant it as a autoattack yeah, but you have a fair point. It would probably clutter the field of vision.
As for that gold stat boost thing, it could work really well if based on total gold accumulated, but not if it works for current cash. That would create the paradox of not wanting to buy items, as it would decrease your stats possibly more than the item grants. Or if Riot would want to prevent this, the bonus from small amounts of gold would be insignificant:

Good statboost per gold stored = Stack gold infinitely, never buy items. Stat boost is strong when you have 5K gold, but your items suck. Buying items reduces your stat boost which would be unwanted.
Small statboost per gold stored = No use stacking gold as that would just slow you down.
Small statboost per gold accumulated = Farming gold from either champ kills or minions & pushing would benefit you really well late game. Gold/5 runes and passives, some gold/5 items, and lots of farming in a team which is built to last at least 40 minutes = Snowballing if the enemy doesn't stop you. Sounds quite neat.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Another option would be to have diminishing returns with higher levels of gold, so that once you have enough, you can spare 500 or 1000 and only see a small dropoff in your statboost, ostensibly more than offset by the stat gains of the item you purchased.

Dunno if you play Civ4: Fall From Heaven 2 mod, but the dwarven civ there gets a civ-wide boost based on how much gold they have built up in their treasury (and below a certain baseline, it actually gives you a civ-wide penalty). This is divided by the number of cities they have. End result is that you DON'T want to be expansionist, at least until you've got enough gold that dividing it would still leave with enough to qualify for at least baseline if not boost.

Of course, as you grow, it paradoxically becomes easier to grow. If you have 10 cities, adding an 11th doesn't hurt you nearly as much as adding that first one.

So with that in mind....I dunno. Maybe gold divided by level or number of items or something. You'd have to tweak the balance carefully because you don't want to hamstring a player for buying things like boots that they really need. If it's a single stat gain (say armor, or health), it probably wouldn't be worth it to hoard for that long. If it was a bigger gain (like a permanent scaling steroid), it could be gamebreaking.

One nice side effect is that the runes and masteries you'd want to build would be totally different (and you'd have to take that into account too...a page full of gold gain runes with a mastery page with all those "increased gold from kills/higher gold accrual rate/higher starting gold" choices could start you off seriously OP early-game.

Maybe it could be a single-stat gain, but a more potent stat like cooldown reduction or EXP gain or something.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flying Claws/Hook & Chain (Nautilus doesn't count) -- Nautilus totally counts, since he uses it to snare and drag

It *is* ranged. It's not an autoattack, if that's what you meant. I don't think you'll ever see a ranged autoattack that leaves you with a continuous "line" back to the champion (like a chain would), just because of issues with graphic layers and it could be abused by AS spamming to make it difficult to see the battlefield. That's why even with melee champs who can trigger an ability to make their autoattacks ranged (I'm thinking Kayle and Cho'Gath), it does it in a way that doesn't create a continuous graphic from attacker to target.

Just my opinion.
I meant it as a autoattack yeah, but you have a fair point. It would probably clutter the field of vision.

Chains are impossible to do, actually, according to Riot. Morgana, for example, was originally supposed to have a whip. I think it had something to do with the amount of bones that the model would require which was more than the LoL engine can support. I think. I didn't check the LoL wiki, so don't quote me on that.
Also often called Boowells.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Just my opinion.

Chains are impossible to do, actually, according to Riot. Morgana, for example, was originally supposed to have a whip. I think it had something to do with the amount of bones that the model would require which was more than the LoL engine can support. I think. I didn't check the LoL wiki, so don't quote me on that.
It doesn't have to be fancy. It could probably just do what Nautilus does.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Magma - Brand

Tentacles - Varus' ult -- also a demonstration that a whip-like weapon could be done

I'd like to throw in an urumi/chain sword style weapon and a meteor hammer/ball & chain style weapon (flail doesn't count).  There's also endless combinations of werepeople/anthropomorphs/people with familiars/pets.  They also have only one proper lightning elementalist, and no proper water elementalist.  Has boomerang been mentioned?  Or chainsaw?  Or bola?  Kukri?  There's also many ethnic sword variations/archetypes as yet unexplored, and people can never get enough swords.  For instance, I'm sure we'll see a prince of persia style character with a big curved blade someday, who zips around worse than Lee Sin.

But I really just want them to cut the shit and take a balance break.  Try putting out some game type and map variations instead of just champions, too.  Surely they have enough money for a while at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

My team wastes 5 minutes trying to cap bot which is protected by fiddlesticks. They never seem to kill him. They chase Singed too, who actually isn't even trying to cap anything. I had to cap the most in my team, I had to do the most killing in my team, yet somehow our Darius gets a better score. How is this possible?
I don't usually care much for the score, but I have no idea why he got to the top.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile

Je ne fucking sais pas.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Magma - Brand

Tentacles - Varus' ult -- also a demonstration that a whip-like weapon could be done

I'd like to throw in an urumi/chain sword style weapon and a meteor hammer/ball & chain style weapon (flail doesn't count).  There's also endless combinations of werepeople/anthropomorphs/people with familiars/pets.  They also have only one proper lightning elementalist, and no proper water elementalist.  Has boomerang been mentioned?  Or chainsaw?  Or bola?  Kukri?  There's also many ethnic sword variations/archetypes as yet unexplored, and people can never get enough swords.  For instance, I'm sure we'll see a prince of persia style character with a big curved blade someday, who zips around worse than Lee Sin.
Huh...yeah, the only Persian/Arabic-themed champs I can think of are Malzahar and that one skin for Zilean. Oh, and maybe Kassadin (Qas ad-Din, which would mean something roughly along the lines of "Distributor of the faith") Maybe they could have somebody on a flying carpet.

As for the boomerang, I can see it now....they'll discover a new island continent, inhabited by strange and wonderous beasts. Enter Skippy, the Dreamtime Walker. Kangaroo with bush hat and boomerang autoattack, and "Dreamtime"-related abilities. Oh, and maybe a kangaroo leap like Pantheon's ult, or a smaller regular-use one like Tristana's rocket boots or Pantheon's W.

No Mesoamerican champs either....a flying serpent/Quetzalcoatl type thing would be fun. Or a Jaguar Warrior, maybe a boss jungler like Nidalee but melee instead of ranged.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:50:19 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile

In no land is Nidalee a jungler. Ever.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

In no land is Nidalee a jungler. Ever.
Nidalee is at her best in the jungle.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile

You don't think very highly of Nid? I've seen some pretty good bruiser Nids. But when you can't clear blue without dipping below 1 attack, and you take 4 and a half minutes to clear, 'ur doin it wrong'.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

You don't think very highly of Nid? I've seen some pretty good bruiser Nids. But when you can't clear blue without dipping below 1 attack, and you take 4 and a half minutes to clear, 'ur doin it wrong'.
As a matter of fact, I own a skin for Nida. The first few games I played as her when I bought her were as bruiser Nida, in dominion.
And I don't see how her jungle is bad. A strong heal which also increases attack speed by a large amount? Sounds excellent. A trap which reduces enemy armor & magic resist, hence increasing the damage they take? And it can be used to counter counterjungling/ward enemy jungle? Heck yes. Passive which lets her ganks be more efficient? Count me in. Cougarmode which gives you increased defences, more mobility, and more DPS?
Yeah, I like jungling her. Only the spear sucks at jungle, but if you're building a bruiser Nida you don't level it early anyways.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile

The problem is that all that looks great on paper but she does abysmally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GAwQcgIHI
Watch. He doesn't even start at blue, and when he does get to it (Long after a countejungler could have finished it and been gone), he very nearly gets executed.

Nid just isn't made for the jungle. Same deal with Yorick. You might think "Oh hey he has lifesteal and damage reduction and damage increase", but he really isn't that good.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

But nowadays with a jungler in every game, people leash. That helps a lot.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile

Free IP boost this weekend. Was going to be only 34% instead of 100%, but the forums' sheer outrage at the uselessness of a 34% boost caused them to backpedal pretty wildly.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1067