Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1270017 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Fizz, the Tidal Trickster - 1.0.0.129
« Reply #5670 on: November 23, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »

What, are we all just listing off champions we like? Let's do this then.
edit: oh, all the ones we own, let me add the ones i don't play

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:12:18 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: November 23, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »

Yeah, metagame and champ selection and counters doesn't mean much if you can't play your dude properly, likewise even if something is a hard counter to something you can always play properly and scare them shitless thus rendering them useless for the earlygame and allowing you freefarm.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: November 23, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »

The big point you guys are missing is that the metagame only applies when there's teamwork involved to take advantage of it. In solo queue, the standard rules don't apply and you can play fuck all and still win.

That sort of thinking is why solo queue can't teach anyone anything about the game. There's no teamwork in the draft selection (or god help you, you're playing blind pick). Even if the enemy team decided to go all AD, you can bet the solo queue pubbers will still play their normal champs without diverging a single ounce from the common strategy. Admit it, it's what you guys do. This is understandable too, not everyone has the time to learn 50 champions. Not everyone can be bothered to keep up with the metagame. It's also why there are so many champions popular in solo queue like Akali, Cassiopeia, and old Morde, but you barely ever see them in tournament matches. Because these guys are pub stompers and against proper teamwork, their viability falls through the ground.

Because of this lack of teamwork, all solo queue fosters is playing selfishly, even if the player himself doesn't realize this. Solo queuers end up developing a skewed perspective of how the game operates and end up judging situations by their past experiences in solo queue instead of what the game really is. To give an example, it would be like me a long time back, spouting nonsense about how Xin Zhao could beat anyone at top lane even though in practice... this was bullshit.

Just because we're not pro doesn't mean we can't think like them. :) And once you start thinking like them, you'll be on the road to playing like them. The game isn't hard after all.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: November 23, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »

Because of this lack of teamwork, all solo queue fosters is playing selfishly, even if the player himself doesn't realize this. Solo queuers end up developing a skewed perspective of how the game operates and end up judging situations by their past experiences in solo queue instead of what the game really is. To give an example, it would be like me a long time back, spouting nonsense about how Xin Zhao could beat anyone at top lane even though in practice... this was bullshit.

Just because we're not pro doesn't mean we can't think like them. :) And once you start thinking like them, you'll be on the road to playing like them. The game isn't hard after all.

Admittedly, I do too much solo queue. It leaves me frustrated. There's really no way to win besides to win your lane and carry hard. The problem here is that the roles normally reserved for carrying hard are often taken by some of the weakest members on your team. I do watch some pros play and I do read a hell of a lot of guides, usually trying to take their advice into practice in solo queue.

I've been watching the Giant in the Playground LoL thread, so I've been meaning to sign up there and join a few premades, just to prevent typical feeders from happening and hopefully have a much more fun time with LoL. I have lots of champions already, despite not being level 30, but I could definitely use more runes.

Maybe I should try Xin Zhao...
Also often called Boowells.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: November 23, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »

I play solo queue to make myself feel better about myself. I enjoy being morally superior to that asshole who says bg at the end of a game.

What umiman says is pretty much the truth, don't expect to win 5v5 premade games with the 'tactics' you pick up in soloqueue.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

Knirisk: You should. The best fun to be had in this game is premade 5v5 fights. If you manage to find 4 other people who take this game seriously and are the same skill level as you (or better), the enjoyment factor just skyrockets.

Some people call it tryharding. I call those people unambitious.

---

Nilocy: You remember when we were first jumping into ranked 5v5 games? It was horrible. We kept getting roflstomped even though our solo queue stats were pretty good. Had to unlearn so much stuff.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »

Knirisk: You should. The best fun to be had in this game is premade 5v5 fights. If you manage to find 4 other people who take this game seriously and are the same skill level as you (or better), the enjoyment factor just skyrockets.

Nilocy: You remember when we were first jumping into ranked 5v5 games? It was horrible. We kept getting roflstomped even though our solo queue stats were pretty good. Had to unlearn so much stuff.

There's a problem in that I'm not level 30 yet, which means unoptimized runes/masteries, and I'd have to unlearn a bunch of stuff from soloqueue just to adjust to premades.

I don't really have much by way of set champions for each class either. I can't play AD carries, period, aside from maybe Tristana. Other than that, I enjoy Blitzcrank/Taric for support, Annie/Ryze/Kassadin for AP mid, Warwick/Nasus for solo-top. I can't jungle yet.
Also often called Boowells.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: November 23, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »

http://v.game.sohu.com/v/1/10898/107/MTA3NTgwNQ== whaaat.

Its not so much, unlearning, more adapting. Remember, you're 20% of your team. 80% of what happens to make your team win is other people. In solo queue, its more like you're 90% of the reason you win.

Yeah umi, the game is just so much more fun with 4 friends to play with. Also leads to some really interesting high level play, especially with people like floods and stuff.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:41:05 pm by Nilocy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »

Maybe I should try Xin Zhao...

Xin Zhao went from bullshit to pubstomper to why bother.  Unless he changed recently, there's pretty much no reason to pick Xin Zhao over other champs in the same role.  That's not to say don't try him or anything, he's just been nerfed hard and is outclassed.

EDIT:  That was one of the cool things about getting to high levels.  X^Z was in pretty much every game until level 25 or so, when he suddenly vanished.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:44:28 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: November 23, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »

http://v.game.sohu.com/v/1/10898/107/MTA3NTgwNQ== whaaat.

Its not so much, unlearning, more adapting. Remember, you're 20% of your team. 80% of what happens to make your team win is other people. In solo queue, its more like you're 90% of the reason you win.

Yeah umi, the game is just so much more fun with 4 friends to play with. Also leads to some really interesting high level play, especially with people like floods and stuff.

Agree. I never play seriously in solo queue, usually play champs that are fun rather than good. In ranked I play Taric mostly, who I never play solo(due to no teamwork = pointless) and it ends up in far better games, but no part of LoL is completely free of kiddies/whiners/cant teamworkers. Only solution is play with friends.

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »

If four of my mates were actually online (who played) at one time I'd faint out of surprise.

There was a time where I did play quite a few 3v3. I was a fill-in for when they couldn't get anybody reliably better. 5v5  was always a joke with my mates and I. A lot of the time at least one of us was AFK/having problems which essentially nearly made every match a 4v5. Even if we did manage to pull it together we were rarely able to have a good game. Of course nowadays those mates play other games mainly.

Since listing the champions one has and which one that person likes seems to be the fashion I might as well as well. Note I'm not really with the meta and all so its mainly about if I enjoy playing them and how much I suck with them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »

Haha, I just discovered something fun. If you go 21 9 0 on Vlad, standard AP runes (mpen red, ap/lvl blue, ap quints) and start with amp tome, you get exactly 600 hp and about 40 ap at level 1. That's actually more hp than most other mages if they started with Dorans.

This means your Q at level 1 does 114 damage and heals for 25. This is compared to it normally doing 90 damage and healing for 15. In practical terms, it means Vlad could kill someone in 4 Qs rather than 6 (or 3 Qs and an ignite). Of course, you'll never kill anyone with 4 Qs as they'd have to be really dumb to eat those Qs and then sit there waiting to die to your ignite, but it can give him some much needed bullying power.

It'll be fun to use against champions that you don't need boots to fight against, like Malzahar or if you went top against a melee champion. Giving up all the CDR is really painful though, since if you went standard Vlad you'd get something like 15% cdr at level 1.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:58 pm »

Are we listing champs or something now?  Here's all of them and what I think, because I have all the time in the world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: November 24, 2011, 12:26:25 am »

Okay, I think I found the trolliest way to play LoL.

Take Soraka and Karma duo mid. Both with heal + promote. 150 second cooldown rammus x2 (6 promotes by the 10th minute). Heal shield heal shield heal shield the promoted minion.

Race to destroy mid tower!!! Make the enemy mid cry!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: November 24, 2011, 01:26:56 am »

huh, i see you think the same about morrde as i chtulu.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1067